Did you mean: 

Extension Cables

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Extension Cables

The Maplin lead I got was this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ultra-high-speed-adsl-cables-45164
No matter because tomorrow I will have the router right next to the master socket, connected using the RJ11 in the Technicolor router box and 4 Powerlines on the go:
Router to main PC
Router to 'smart' BluRay (iPlayer)
Router to upstairs PC
At least this way if a BT engineer does have to come out he won't have any issues with the position and cable length.
This morning I got 5130Kbps so it's almost there. Just need to shorten that lead and that's that I reckon.
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The time of day that you sync can make a big difference as I said earlier. But just having re-read the thread, I can't help but think that there is still something not quite right here, despite the fact that LLU DLM works slightly differently from BTw's DLM.
Whatever configuration you have, it will have a smaller effect if other wiring is not as it should be.
Do you have any other phone extension sockets at all?  Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left?
What sort of BT incoming cable do you have - is it overhead or underground and can you see the cable where it enters the house?
Does it go straight to the Master socket or are there other connector boxes in between? Is the cable entering the house a round cross-section about 5.3mm in diameter and black in colour?
I also notice you said in your OP - ADSL upto 8Mbps package. It's unusual for an exchange with LLU not to have 21CN although there are a few.  What exchange name are you on (don't post your phone number)?
Edit: One other, do all your Microfilters look like this?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the continued interest.
Phone master socket is an old one, just prior to NTE5, flat plate, single socket. Never been touched since 1983 when BT fitted an upstairs extension socket so the bell wire is likely still connected. There is a phone plugged in upstairs and is on a filter.
Cable comes in underground from an underground access point that is right outside my house. I reckon the cable length from there to my socket is probably about 25 foot max.
Exchange is Northolt which does have various BB options, according to SamKnows, but I've no idea which one I'm using, I suspect the ADSL Max?
There may well be a line problem but if BT do need to make a site visit I've been told that as soon as they see a 10 metre cable they will likely want that reducing/removing before any further investigation is started.
Tomorrow morning I'll do the work and wait to see if
a) my speeds rise
b) my router shows a connected uptime of more than 4 hours !
c) I need to have a manual reset to 6Mbps and see if it drops again.
Anotherone
Champion

If Openreach visit, one of the first things they should/must do is fit you a proper NTE5a and make sure that the cable feeding it is of the correct standard - it must be twisted pair..
Other than what you are planning to do, and before anyone rushes to tell you to disconnect the bell-wire - don't. That is what I would normally advise BUT as you have a "nice" dropping connection it's a good way to get a "free" engineer visit to get a proper NTE5a fitted.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, Knockholt is 21CN enabled. Can you post the full DSL stats from the modem/router? Could well give you a better assessment of what your line should do.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Knockholt ?
Northolt (West London)  Smiley
I'm currently at work and will not have access to the router till tomorrow - when I will post up my stats.
Anotherone
Champion

Woops, I should have gone to specsavers  Embarrassed  Well, you'll be pleased to know Northolt is 21CN enabled as well  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post up the full stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post. I'll reply to your PM.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Router now relocated and I'm using the filters from the Technicolor box and the RJ11 from the box as well.
So router is now plugged directly into master socket as advised by support.
All looked OK, 4 green lights, until I powered up the PC and started doing some speed checks. Router started a rapid series of dropouts producing a red Internet light. Reported it and it seems to be stable now but still not got comparable speeds, hope that will follow later.
At the moment:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:44:57
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 6.167
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 12,96 / 65,70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,4 / 44,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,6 / 7,0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3.509 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3.970.046
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 24.248
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 23.775
Type: PPPoA
Uptime: 0 days, 1:43:14
IP Address: 87.114.119.226
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Latest is - no change  Sad
Still getting random dropouts and speed reduced as a consequence. Longest uptime 5 hours.
Looking at the graphs supplied by PN I do get periods of 48 hours where previously it stayed connected continuously.
Latest:
Uptime: 0 days, 5:44:58
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 5.625
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 26,28 / 166,59
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,4 / 44,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,4 / 8,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3.854 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1.651.865
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 386
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 507
Anotherone
Champion

You are obviously getting some sort of intermittent issue, whether it's interference or a line issue is difficult to deduce at present. One thing that is obvious is that the errors are considerably lower at the moment with what looks like a raised Target SNRM to 9dB. Post some more stats later this morning. If you see your connection dropping, check your phone line.
With the drops you are seeing on the Vis Radius graphs from PN is there any pattern, drops occurring at particular times?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

The disconnections always seem to be very close to 00:30 in the morning. At that time we are all tucked up with no BB activity at all. I've ensured all equipment and lines are free from any movement and all the various wires are all located in their own trunking.
I reckon something is happening at the exchange on a nightly basis that is causing the intermittent make/break. I'm going to leave it till next weekend to give my new approved layout chance to settle in before phoning support again.
All very odd !
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a few days time you should ask the forum staff if they would post here the graph of your recent line connection status, as the visual representation is often very useful in assisting spotting any pattern in whatever is going on.
Anotherone
Champion

That is very true purleigh.The time 0030 could be a number of things depending on your area - what time does Economy 7 switch? As we are BST it would be 2330 in the Winter. Local street lights going off on these new energy saving sensors? I doubt it would be anything to do with central heating as that would also go on/off at other times.
Are you in a rural(ish) or urban area? Do you see any problems with your mains supply at all?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Very urban location 5 miles north of Heathrow airport.
We don't have economy 7 and there is nothing around that time that would affect the power. Heating timer events are also nowhere near. I've got a very sensitive microwave oven clock and that resets itself to zeros on the slightest of power cuts. That is still showing an accurate time so I know we've had no overnight outages.
I have seen 2 graphs of late that do show the make/break instances. The max I've seen is 3 days continuous connection which was on my old Netgear router and on the old 15m ribbon ADSL cable.
Current max on my Technicolor and 10 metre cable was 2 days.
It went down about 00:30 Saturday night, as shown by the connection stats that I copied around 06:00 Sunday morning and posted above.
I think I need to leave it a while now and get a better history with my now near perfect internal setup.