cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big line faults - some routers only

mview
Dabbler

Big line faults - some routers only

I have had a netgear DG834 modem router for years.  It's getting a bit long in the tooth: it works well,basically, but it has some odd behaviours (like not drawing all of the interface web page when you log into it.  Yes, I know that's really curious).
So I bought a TP-Link TD-8840T. After working fine for a few days, it became very unreliable - the line would keep dropping.  So I switched back to the old netgear, and stability returned.
Figuring that the TP-Link was just cheap rubbish, I bought an ASUS DSL-N55U instead.  Same behaviour.  It's been in use for less than a week, and seems now to be dropping the connection ever ten minutes or so (randomly, not in any pattern).
I guess this means there is a marginal line problem that the Netgear can take in its stride, but the newer kit just can't handle: but I wonder if I'm missing something.  I don't want to be reporting a line fault, only to be told that the fault is with my equipment.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

[Could it be a router config issue?  Settings are below - I've only set PPPoA, 0/38 VC
PVC Internet PVC
WAN Connection Type  PPPoA
VPI 0
VCI 38
Encapsulation Mode   VC
Service Category   UBR without PCR
PCR 0
SCR 0
MBS 0
Idle Disconnect Time in seconds: Disconnect after time of inactivity (in seconds) 0
MTU 1492
2 REPLIES 2
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Big line faults - some routers only

Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
mview
Dabbler

Re: Big line faults - some routers only

Hi.  No; no problems at all with the voice line.