cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth cut?

00lloyd
Grafter

Re: Bandwidth cut?

OK, well if I leave it on without resetting, how will I know it's stable, is there a certain number of errors it needs to be under in 3 days (and who do I show this too)? Also where could I find out about the PN cooling of period for their 12 month contracts?
Thanks, Lloyd.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Stable for 3 days means no disconnects/reconnects for 3 days.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as you are asking about your contract, are you still in the first ten days training period?,  if so stop mucking around, leave it on 24/7 for ten days and you might get the good speed
00lloyd
Grafter

Yeah I realise that, I'm just interested in the reason for having line banding in the first place (and so quickly when this never happened in the three years I was with my old ISP), and, whether this is likely to happen again. The other reason for asking about the cooling off period is because I have a 10GB limit which I can clearly see I'm going to go over, I which case I can get better value with other providers, but I can't find this information in the contract.
Thanks, Lloyd.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lloyd,
Sorry to hear you're having these issues early on, and from reading through the thread I would say you are probably banded with up to 1152 being your maximum sync rate. I would imagine that would be to do with what you said earlier...
[quote=00lloyd]I think its a wiring problem because my phone line was cutting out just before I got connected to PN about a week ago because of some wiring pulled out behind the master socket accidentally, and I just fiddled around with the phone line wiring (I do know what goes were but it still wasn't working) until it did work, so there's probably a weak hard-line connection somewhere.
At the moment though that's just speculation on my part until I investigate it further. But don't worry, thinking that's all you'll get from us in the way of speed. We'll make sure your connection performs at its best. The banding is there because it wouldn't hold a connection at a higher sync, so while there's a fault it enables the connectoin to become stable.
I'm going to take a look and see what I can find out.
when you say some wiring was pulled out behind the master socket, do you mean the wires that are attached to the back of the bottom part of the faceplate? Are you in the test socket right now?
Jojo Smiley
00lloyd
Grafter

Well come to think of it, I was doing an awful lot of rebooting the router in the first 24hrs, as I was trying to get the router in bridge mode (to no avail yet!). Maybe that's what this banding system perceived as instability? The wiring is fine, my previous problem was an all or nothing situation, the wiring was either connected or it wasn't, so I just cleaned it all up a bit (this is from behind the test socket to the junction), and the phone line has been fine since.
As I have been saying, I've had a stable connection for years at about 18meg give or take with some sn margin fiddling.
So if I just hooked up another modem/router that supports sn margin altering could I just overide the banding by lowering it, or is that not how it works?
Thanks, Lloyd.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 00lloyd,
If you're quite sure you have fixed the wiring issue I can have your SNR reset and the banding lifted. I need to contact BT for this but not sure of that departments opening hours on  bank holiday. I will give them a try and let you know.
Jojo Smiley
00lloyd
Grafter

Here are my stats, I don't quite understand what the errors say about my line stability at the bottom, maybe you or someone else does:
Uptime: 0 days, 23:23:59
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 18,128
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1,150
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 35.59 / 413.47
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 21.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 166
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
If you think it's all good then go for it.
Thanks, Lloyd.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI 00lloyd,
I'm afriad it seems there are no representative available today. I will have to do it  Wednesday by the looks of things. The errors are nothing out of the ordinary. The stats are just reporting errors that have been corrected, which is normal.
Jojo Smiley
00lloyd
Grafter

OK, thanks for your help. In that case in going to switch my modem/router today as I no longer need to prove my line is stable!
Btw, where could find out about my contracts cooling off period, it seems no-one wants to tell me!
Thanks, Lloyd.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 00lloyd,
I'm sorry to hear that you are considering cancelling, bearing in mind that it seems your current issue was not as a result of anything from plusnet's end. Although that said I'm confident I can remedy your problem. As far as a 'cooling off period' goes this will apply to broadband which has been ordered but not yet activated. Once we have incurred any costs in providing broadband then the contract will begin. Full details of our cancellation policy are available here.
Jojo Smiley
00lloyd
Grafter

Hmm, this is interesting, I haven't reset/rebooted my router today but:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 7:58:44
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 17,920
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1,150
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 35.85 / 250.42
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 21.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 20.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 238
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
It looks like it lost connection 8 hours ago... any ideas why? But surely with the sn margin this high it couldn't be because the line couldn't handle the speeds, they're already rock bottom! May this point to a hardwire error?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I have disconnect problems all the time, I have no idea why, and Plusnet were not able to help on that front either, from experience I would say I get a disconnect once every 24 to 72 hours, but I'd love to be able to see an accurate log, as I suspect I have "peak" periods when I disconnect several times in a few hours, followed by 2 to 3 days of no problem, but I'm not personally online 24x7 (although perhaps 16x7) so I could be missing quite a few of the disconnects.
It would be great if Plusnet could (optionally) email you when your profile changes and when you disconnect/connect, I know many wouldn't be interested in this data, but I would be.
00lloyd
Grafter

Yay it's wednesday! Can I have my profile lifted please. Also, out of interest, when was this DLM thing implemented?
Thanks, Lloyd.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 00lloyd,
I'm having this lifted now. I'll keep an eye on it because we'll have to wait for the profile to lift. This shouldn't take too long now.
Jojo Smiley