cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834GT (DGTeam) in bridge mode...

00lloyd
Grafter

DG834GT (DGTeam) in bridge mode...

Is there anyone who is doing this successfully? It wont sync for me when I put it into 'modem only' mode...
18 REPLIES 18
gyre
Grafter

Re: DG834GT (DGTeam) in bridge mode...

I'm running both DG834Gv3 and v4 in bridge mode.  Original manufacturers software tho, not DGTeam.
When you say it doesn't sync, you are connecting to the modem using PPPoE from a router or PC, aren't you?  If not, how are you getting the plusnet user name and password across?
-- gyre --
00lloyd
Grafter

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. The DG834GT is syncing, but I am unable to connect via PPPoA (the login details disappear in 'modem only' mode). My router (WRT160N) does not support PPPoE as far as I know, so the only way I have got 'modem only' mode working is to connect the ps3 directly to the GT and enter my login details there, but obvioulsy there are no router functions (DHCP, UPnP, etc.) because I'm not using the router.
Is my only option to use PPPoE and login from every device, or is there a way of getting PPPoA to work?
Thanks, Lloyd.
knowdice
Rising Star

Are you using this as a bridge in order to access your public IP block?
Not sure about using PPPoE on Plusnet ADSL may be someone else can clarify.
I use a Zyxel P660 on ADSL and set the LAN IP address the same as the WAN (default gateway address) which seems to force it into bridge mode and PPPoA still works.
00lloyd
Grafter

I'm sorry what do you mean, I thought the LAN IP (192.168.0.1 on my DG834GT) was the default gateway address? Or are you referring to my public IP address. Sorry for being a little technically illiterate!
Thanks, Lloyd.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: 00lloyd
I'm sorry what do you mean, I thought the LAN IP (192.168.0.1 on my DG834GT) was the default gateway address? Or are you referring to my public IP address. Sorry for being a little technically illiterate!
Thanks, Lloyd.

I'm just wondering why you want to use the DG834GT as a bridge rather than a router?
00lloyd
Grafter

I have a WRT160N I want to use as a router. That's definitely the way I want it set up, and I'm sure it's possible, I'm just missing something...
Unless someone knows how to keep it in router mode and disable all the router features that would conflict with the WRT160N's settings.
knowdice
Rising Star

That makes sense 🙂
As gyre says I reckon you should be using PPPoE on the WRT160 and possibly look for an option for PPPoE pass thru on the DG
There is another thread on here started by gyre talking about his unreliability problems using PPPoE might be worth a read.
00lloyd
Grafter

I have tried setting the ADSL to PPPoE on the modem (at which point entering modem only mode this option disappears), and then setting the router to PPPoE, both request the login details which I enter, but the WRT160N won't pick up a WAN connection.
The WRT160N will pick up a WAN connection when the DG834GT is in 'modem + router' mode, but then I thought I would have conflicts between the firewalls, DHCP servers, UPnP, port forwarding, etc. Would such a set-up even be secure? Is there a way to configure them to both work together as routers and keep it secure? I guess it would be handy to have two separate wireless broadcasts for N and G devices, but it seems the network would get very complicated...
Maybe I should just ask PN for a 585v7 as the v8 seems to have no bridge support...
Thanks, Lloyd.
gyre
Grafter

I'd suspect that the wrt160 will do pppoe.  Then, the wrt160 could do all the nice router-ery functions on your lan, and just use the dg834 in bridge mode as as a modem, so to speak.
The wrt160 should be told your plusnet login name and password.
That's the way I have things set up, except I use a draytek 2920 instead of  a wrt160.
-- gyre --
gyre
Grafter

Aren't you able to set your dg834 into modem only mode?  The factory default firmware has a cheat where doing something like:
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm
would offer to set the router into modem only mode.
The DG Team software might have a similar mode.
-- gyre --
00lloyd
Grafter

Ok, so how exactly is your DG834G setup, because I have set up the ADSL to PPPoE and input the login details (this is in router mode as these options disappear in modem mode, but I'm assuming they are saved, because PPPoE works with my PS3 directly connected to my DG834GT in modem mode when I do this, but it won't connect if I set the DG834GT to PPPoA before I change it to modem mode), anyhow, I do that, then I set the WRT160N to use PPPoE, and enter my login details, but it won't pick up a WAN connection. Any ideas what to try? I'm pulling my hair out here, I need this to work, I'm sure it can be done.
Thanks, Lloyd.
00lloyd
Grafter

I'm using the lastest DGTeam firmware.
stallan
Grafter

I might have missed something, but is the only reason to use the WRT160N so that you get wireless N rather than the wireless G offering of the Netgear ?
gyre
Grafter

I have the DG834G set up as follows.
It's set to modem mode.  The ADSL settings are as follows:
  Multiplexing method: LLC-based
  VPI: 0
  VCI: 38
  DSL mode: auto
That's it.  No username or password.  That will be supplied by the other router that then talks PPPoE to the DG834G
-- gyre --