Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded Again ?

FIXED
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Banded Again ?

My download speed has dropped gradually over the last few months from 25 to 17 Mbs.

This has happened a few times before which i have posted about in the past.

A DLM reset has always fixed it. Is it possible for someone to look at this for me.

Thanks.

Screenshot (151).png

9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Banded Again ?

Fix

Hi @milvusmilvus 

I'm sorry to see that your speeds are banded again.

I've put through a reset for you 

Let me know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Thanks Mathew. That improved it.
Plusnet also did a line test and requested an engineer visit. He found a couple of bad joints down the road as well so hopefully it will be good for another while now.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Glad to hear it's improved it Smiley

Let us know if you need anything else.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

It seemed good, but has been slowing down every few days. Last couple of days have noticed its been resetting while watching iPlayer. SNR Margin is up so not sure what is going on..

Screenshot (183).png

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Hi @milvusmilvus 

I've just checked your line and ran a speed test and it's showing your line is currently at 17.1Mbps. I don't think it is still banded but I've gone through the availability checker for your address and you should be averaging out at 17Mbps, anything above that would be a bonus. 

You can check using your landline number here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and you just need to take notice to Downstream Handback Threshold. 

Whilst checking your speeds I also did a line check just to look out for anything else but everything is good with your line. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@csmith94  If the line isn't banded could you please explain why the downstream SNRM is abnormally high at 11dB ?

The expected value is 6db or even less if G,Inp/ReTx is active (which it is).

@milvusmilvus  What estimates does the BT checker give for your line?  It should be faster with a sensible SNRM value.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@RealAleMadrid - I've checked the GEA Service Test and sync speed and everything is testing correct. If they weren't getting the correct speeds, we'd then say this was banded. As this isn't the case, the line isn't banded and the speeds that are being achieved are within estimates. 

@milvusmilvus - If you've got any further issues, just let us know Smiley 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
milvusmilvus
Dabbler

Here you go...

Screenshot (184).png

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@milvusmilvus  As I suspected it is pretty obvious that the line is still banded despite being told the speeds are correct which they are not.☹️ I do not know why speeds at the very bottom of the expected range only just above the handback threshold would be deemed to be correct.

In a previous post of yours from some time ago  (msg 19 of this thread) Previous Thread  after a DLM reset you had a download speed of 27.351 Mbps with SNRM of 6dB so that is a reasonable speed for the line.

I would dispute the assertion that the speed is correct and ask for a DLM reset.  The problem is that on a long line you are likely to get connection drops and banding may get applied again if they are frequent.  This is the way that DLM controls VDSL2 lines that are unstable. The speed is capped at a lower value causing the SNRM value to rise above the normal 6dB.

@csmith94 You have not answered my question about the high SNRM value, which is usually a strong clue that the line is banded. Perhaps you could post the GEA test information or at least the downstream profile name.