cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acestream

FIXED
jcampbell120

Acestream

So I'm a new plusnet customer. Was with Sky previously, had no issues.

I use acestream (p2p streaming) and as soon as I load a stream, the speed my device is receiving drops from 8+mbps to under 0.5mbps. 

Basically the stream is then unwatchable. I had no issues previously with sky, and the same/similar speeds. Any ideas how i can get it to work?

5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Acestream

Have you switched to the Plusnet Hub Zero (2704n) router?

If so, the problem is probably because that router is particularly bad at managing uploading, and as a result, when you upload at full speed, downloads slow down.

Either limit the upload speed to less than your line's upload speed, or use a different router.

jcampbell120

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I'm using the router that got sent my way when I signed up (it is indeed the 2704n - probably the cheapest looking router I've ever seen).

Is it then likely that using a different/better router would allow me to use acestream as I did previously with sky?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Fix

The problem is known as "bufferbloat" and is fairly common, and affects many different routers, but the 2704n does seem to be worse affected than many. A router with some QoS features should be better at managing the situation (but would generally require some configuration).

Your old Sky router, if you still have it, is probably locked to Sky and can't be used with anyone else, but it's probably worth checking anyway to see if it could be re-configured for use on Plusnet.

jcampbell120

Thanks for the info, really helpful, much more helpful than the, 'award winning customer service'. I'll attempt to use a different router and report back. Thanks again.

jcampbell120

Went and bought a new router, nothing crazy, just a Netgear D6000 and it works like a charm, was very easy to set up and my bufferfloat score went from an F to a C, currently streaming on acestream very well while using other devices.

Thanks for your help, hope this may help others as well.