cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problem Yet AGAIN !!!!!!

englishrick
Grafter

Re: Speed Problem Yet AGAIN !!!!!!

Well its now all the way down AGAIN !!!! Upload has gone down a little as well..
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1389037982&v=21402981
markm9
Grafter

@englishrick, have you tried this link, just input your postcode/ tel.no, for information about your exchange
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?
Unsure if this will help, but you can try!!
englishrick
Grafter

englishrick
Grafter

And so it continues, its dropped to below 5Mb download now that's a 69Mb loss on off peak speeds WHAT A JOKE.......

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1389044542&v=21403823
Roblister
Grafter

Same problem here.  Line is synced at about 49mbps, and does actually get full speed during the day.  As soon as evening time comes though, the speed (throughput, not sync speed) plummets and it actually goes slower than the ADSL we had before it.  This is on the Ulverston exchange.
We've had a ticket open and gone to the full extent of the tests including using a PPPoE connection direct from the back of the modem onto a machine that is not running any other software and running the BT Wholesale Speed Test, going to Further Diagnostics, and noting how it considers it an unacceptable speed.
The summary of our experience with Tech Support is that they haven't witnessed any problem (because they work 9-5 when everything is usefully running at full speed!) and don't see any faults on the line, but acknowledge the tests we did and offered to send an engineer out.  
Can't see any point really as speaking as a 10 year experienced IT technician I know there's nothing wrong with the line, modem or wiring, none of which really care what time of day it is.  The upload speed is still full speed, but the download drops to 2-4mbps, which to me highlights it very clearly as a congestion issue.  Despite being owned by BT, all plusnet can really do is shrug, point a finger at BT Wholesale and add us to a list of people wanting them to resolve the capacity problems.
If it wasn't for the upload speed, we were actually better off on ADSL, or at this rate, an old dial-up modem.
englishrick
Grafter

Ohhhh look, Its OFF PEAK (6.21am) and my speeds are back to normal...
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1389075649&v=21404925
AndyH
Grafter

@ englishrick - which exchange are you connected to? Also, have you tried the TAP3 test? You should be able to run this additional test if your speeds are below the allowable threshold in the BT Speed Tester. This will identify whether the problem is within BTW's or PN's network. Though it is unlikely to be with PN's network or you would have a lot more people complaining.
@ Roblister - Are you Lakesgeek on TBB?  http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4290805-sync-ok-download-sucks.html
@ markm9 - That checker only works for 20CN unfortunately.
Roblister
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ Roblister - Are you Lakesgeek on TBB?

Yep you got me (it's really annoying as it's painful to get anything done during the times I get to use it, so I will rant from a few angles)
I'm the same poster behind the keyboard, though the plusnet account is in my father's name.
AndyH
Grafter

I thought it might be you...I was trying to see if anyone else on your exchange had issues.
It might be worth seeing if the DC team can check the latest 21CN capacity issue spreadsheets to see if there is a capacity issue at your exchange.
Roblister
Grafter

It's a fairly small town so unfortunately I doubt anyone else from here will pipe up.
That sounds good, who's the DC team?  Do you know if BT are taking notice of the capacity issues and doing upgrades, or is it a case of "we've done our bit and fitted the green boxes, we never said it'd be any good"?
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The DC (Digital Care) team are the reps on here
AndyH
Grafter

They do take notice of capacity problems - but I have a feeling that it has to become a problem before they take action in a lot of cases. Though they do have a pretty proactive number of exchange upgrades going on all the time.
You mentioned your exchange was piggy backed to another exchange (i.e. it has skipped being upgraded to 21CN as it connected to another 21CN exchange, yet it still offers fibre)? That could be a clue as to the problems if the exchange it's connected to has capacity problems too. I would raise a fault ticket with PN (http://faults.plus.net) so they can raise a fault with their suppliers. They might be able to identify other users also affected and add that to the fault ticket with their suppliers.
Roblister
Grafter

OK thanks, maybe if one is lurking  (could they also disclose which exchange we're piggybacked onto?).  Yeah when I asked a while back (it was going a bit slow, but not this bad) we were told it's piggybacked.  We've done the ticket routine and the gist I got from it was that it's been logged as a complaint with the supplier but we'll probably need a whole bunch of complaints before they do anything.
Google turned up an interesting tool:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Searched ours (LCULV) and it is showing red for 20CN, BUT that's a different network of course, we're on 21CN.  For some reason the tool doesn't include that and still thinks the exchange isn't enabled!  (Maybe that's related to the piggyback?)
It does however show the track record for the exchange as not being great - yellow since September then red since November.
Good to know they at least look at it.
englishrick
Grafter

I'm on the Alsager exchange 01270
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Englishrick,
Your exchange is showing GREEN for Fibre, so there aren't any reported capacity issues there at the moment. I'd advise continuing down the faults route with us.
@Roblister
I've also checked your exchange and 1 SVLAN out of the 5 is showing as under load, once reported these are aimed to be fixed within 3 working days assuming there is room to expand the capacity. Therefore if you've seen no improvement over the next few days, I'd report a fault to us.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.