cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband. Again.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Slow broadband. Again.

Jelv don't you need to have a Static IP for the think broadband monitor?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sort of - it's a bit of pain if you are on a dynamic IP
Each time you reconnect and get a new IP you have to set up a new monitor. I ran it successfully when I tried the new network over IPSC which gave me a dynamic IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hi mariek
The slow down on hop 1 concerns me (even though it is small)

Completely irrelevant Jelv, some routers do this as 'responding to pings' isnt as important as getting data through them in an orderly, efficient manner. High "first hop" pings are acceptable (Even very very expensive cisco kit behaves like this)

Something which i would like to know: Does the router drop the connection alot?
If you can log in, the information id like to know is:
Attenuation on the line, SNR, Sync Speed and if there are any errors listed?
For example:

Uptime: 1 day, 1:48:55
[kbps/kbps]: 744 / 4,939

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 33.5 / 54.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 2.5
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 295,758

CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 331

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 282

Hopefully the router you are using gives reliable error stats (the plusnet provided one can sometimes be buggy)
The reason i ask is, the high pings could be due to interference or a temporamental/bad junction in the phoneline. Sounds silly, but i had an ongoing fault for around 6 months due to bad connections - everytime it rained my internet ran reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally slowly  Shocked (and produced a few million errors in about 15 minutes  Wink )
A Tracert to something more reliable .. e.g. bbc.co.uk or google.co.uk would be better IMHO, community.plus.net isnt as 😮 if it goes down - their systems should be running perfick all the time Wink

OK, here's my hard wired results.  It means nothing to me, but I presume the asteriks replacing numbers isn't right.  I really appreciate your help, but is this getting anywhere to resolving the problem?

The * isnt always a bad thing, sometimes gateways dont respond to pings at all (which would mean a * on all three), getting a * otherwise means it did not receive a timely response. We can only get near the problem if we start to learn what the general issue is. Is there any equipment near the master socket or router? how close to the master socket is the router? and are there any extensions/sky boxes/phones/Wireless phones plugged in when the problem occurs?
Lots to take in there, hopefully we can glean something from that Smiley
Regards
@Mattz0r or staff, May be worth grabbing the radius and checking for disconnects?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mariek,
Have you changed your set up at all in the last few days, It seems to have improved from a stability point of view.

Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@mariek Can we stick to using one topic for your problems please? It gets hopelessly confusing when you splatter posts all over the forums.
Nothing you've posted is making any sense so I suggest it has to be a process of elimination. I suggest you need to try using a different router to eliminate that.
Have you checked the tracerts when it is going slow using a different PC?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)