Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with Lost Static IP

RB211

Re: Help needed with Lost Static IP

Quote from: Chris
@RB211
I've added a new static IP to your account, next time you disconnect/reconnect you'll be assigned it.

Checked and working, thanks Chris.
Estragon
Rising Star

We'll reiterate to the CSC that they can get an experienced agent or one of our team to add a new static IP for free if the customer doesn't mind it changing.
Are you saying that if the old fixed IP is available at the time of assigning a "new" one, the "old" one can be used/re-instated, Chris? Some people may find that useful if it is the case  :).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

No, we can't reassign the old IP easily unfortunately. It'll be a new IP address.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Estragon
Rising Star

Cheesy
So "if the customer doesn't mind it changing." shouldn't be there then? It does imply what I asked for confirmation of.  What if the customer does mind it changing?  Wink
Chris
Legend

OK, maybe I should have been clearer that it *will* be a new one!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
macowens
Grafter

So when I upgrade from Extra to Unlimited Fibre in just over a week my static IP will be changed? (I want it to stay the same)
Chris
Legend

Not for definite no, only if the IP address is lost during the account change will you be assigned a new one. Some people are keeping them throughout.
Looking at the type of IP component on your account you *should* keep it.
macowens
Grafter

Gooood!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looking at the type of IP component on your account you *should* keep it.

Does that mean you know who might or might not lose their fixed IP - can we tell? If I knew I was going to be safe I'd place order Unlimited.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend

I'm not 100% sure, however I believe we may be close to fixing it anyway Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just looked at the page I get to from this icon in my Connection settings:

It says (my bold)
Adding or removing a Static IP
If you'd like to add or remove a Static IP please raise a Ticket or call our Support Team on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200
Additional Information
You should leave the connection settings in your dialup configuration set to Server Assigned IP Address. You are simply assigned the same IP address to you each time you connect.
For more information see our IP addresses support page.

I suspect this is a component that was added to my account before I changed from the Connect account to ADSL - especially if you look at where the link in the final line goes (dial-up unmetered accounts FAQ)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

@jelv, That's the same as mine. My Static IP stems from the old dialup account when you had to have a static to allow dialup from specified CLI's other than the home phone.
Mine survived the change from Value to Unlimited if it helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes - I remember now - without a static IP you could have connected using the same credentials on multiple lines simultaneously. With a static IP it meant if you tried to cheat the system it went horribly wrong!
jheenan
Grafter

We'll reiterate to the CSC that they can get an experienced agent or one of our team to add a new static IP for free if the customer doesn't mind it changing.
We're actually testing a fix today for this, hopefully that'll work but if not then we'll have to rely on the developers to fix it.

Any chance you can update this thread if the fix works or not please Chris?
I've got a pending change to unlimited on 14th Jan, but I think I'll ask for this to be cancelled if I'm likely to lose my IP, it would be a major pain to update this everywhere if it changed.
Chris
Legend

We've not had chance to test this yet, so looking to be early next week instead now. I'll let you know the outcome.