cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 10

sjptd
Grafter

Re: windows 10

It connects then disconnects for no reason.   I've been having similar issues with my Ethernet connection, which seems to be Win 10.  Unplug and replug is working to resolve it. 
It could just be a dodgy connector, it's lost its locking bit and does sometimes come lose.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: sjptd
It could just be a dodgy connector, it's lost its locking bit and does sometimes come lose.

It's never worth relying on a cable with a dodgy connector.  Ethernet cables are cheap and plentiful.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: sjptd
It connects then disconnects for no reason.   I've been having similar issues with my Ethernet connection, which seems to be Win 10.  Unplug and replug is working to resolve it. 

That is a coincedence i just replaced the wife,s ethernet cable just now as the locking bit was broken & she was having issues,it is now working as it should. Smiley Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
sjptd
Grafter

Sadly, I replaced my cable and no difference.  Still, 99% of what I have seen on Windows 10 is positive.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Please excuse my ignorance,  but I need help, I am not a tech guy.
I have just installed windows 10( and I know I am getting tired) it looks good and seems  fast, and perhaps I should play the introductory video first .
But I am unable to find the control panel . The icon for my Kaspersky is not displayed, and trying the search button  just takes me to Kaspersky on the net .
Of course I am trying to locate the add or remove programmes so that I can create a shortcut for Kaspersky( hoping it hasn't been deleted)Also don't know whether my printer is compatible with  w10 and of course I will need to access the control panel  to do a defrag as and when.  Thanks in advance.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Right click the blue windows icon in the bottom left of your screen to reveal a list of techy stuff.
I presume you have done an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 and Kaspersky was previously installed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks, I will try that
Strat
Community Veteran

You might need to reinstall the latest version compatible with Windows 10 from here http://support.kaspersky.co.uk
You should see 3 links in the orange bar for the different packages,
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks I will try that in the morning.* Going into the add/remove  programmes   Kaspersky  is listed  but is only allowing me to remove. tried right hand click  but no luck.
On the good side have managed to update the printer which is now working.
Really appreciate your help.
* Actually downloaded and installed  before going to bed. All up to date  including defrag  Much happier now thanks !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424)
failed, . 

Turns out that my problem was C:\Users\UpdatusUser .  This is an entity created by NVidia that now longer exists on my computer but still had an entry in the registry profile list ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList ).  Deleting the profile enabled the update to complete successfully.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm still having problems with my wi-fi on my laptop since installing W10. Could this be due to a card in the machine and if so how do I find out what it is?  Thanks for any help.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
I'm still having problems with my wi-fi on my laptop since installing W10. Could this be due to a card in the machine

Yes, or the software that controls it.
Quote from: artmo
if so how do I find out what it is?

Right click the Start button and click Device Manager.  Under Network Adaptors you should see something to identify your built-in wireless adaptor
MightyMouse
Grafter

I might still have a problem.

On going to update my Kaspersky, it's showing amber and saying  my computer may be at risk.
It's advising that I reboot. it seems to think that the computer is in safe mode. I'm sure it isn't .
rebooting doesn't make any difference.
Pretty sure I downloaded the right update last night, but then I could have made a mistake.
Have just checked.  I downloaded from here http://support.kaspersky.co.uk the one in the orange section
Strat
Community Veteran

If you are unsure you can right click the Start button (bottom left) and select Programs and Features to see what you installed recently.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Have just checked.  I downloaded from here http://support.kaspersky.co.uk the one in the orange section

Have just done what you send . and it sent to the list of programmes installed in which it says Kaspersky internet security.
As I  saved before installing, I will look in my downloads section . it might give a version.