Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@ganganvince 

Are you telling me that a Plusnet ‘engineer’ visited your house to reset your router? If so I fear that you need to understand how broadband is delivered to your property.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ganganvince
Dabbler

A plusnet engineer came to my house to check internal fitment, incoming broadband at the socket plug into router to check operating correctly. Was in fault when he arrived his remedy was to reset to factory settings and ask that I monitor and call back should it go into fault again. I fully undstand how broadband is delivered into my house and the connection/speed from the cabinet less than 100 metres away from my socket appears to be fine.
Baldrick1

@ganganvince wrote:
A plusnet engineer came to my house to check internal fitment,
..I fully undstand how broadband is delivered into my house

Maybe, but you don't know who delivers it.

Believe me or not, that is your choice. Openreach are responsible for any connection to your property where the broadband is delivered over the BT network, regardless of which ISP you are with. Plusnet like other ISPs pay for the service to be delivered. Plusnet don't make house calls to reset hubs or investigate faults. That is the responsibility of Openreach.

Moderator and Customer

ganganvince
Dabbler

Fully understand open reach are responsible for the supply upto the socket in my property the engineer sent out works for a company in Warrington who investigate connection issues on the property side of the socket (called JSW or similar) on behalf of BT, EE, Plusnet and Talktalk. Fault reported from Plusnet diagnostic check was a failure of router to synch. They are not connected to open reach in any way.
ganganvince
Dabbler

If you still doubt this I record all my calls and can send the recording from my original call to customer services where he confirms they will send out a plusnet engineer to check in the property also the call from the engineer (Keiran) confirming he was on his way and that he was from Plusnet and the image of confirmation email from Plusnet confirming appt for the plusnet engineer to investigate failure to synch. Would need to be out of public arena though.
ganganvince
Dabbler

Quick update, issue now seems to be sorted following engineer visit hub carried on loosing broadband (red light) for a couple of days. I rang customer services back who had a note on account from engineer to swop out router if continued to fail. New router has been on a week now with out any issues. Still intend to switch to smart hub for the improved WiFi but not as urgent now.
Ben1
Grafter

Please excuse my somewhat naive question, but I have borrowed a friends' Windows laptop to do this installation (I usually use a Mac, which is nowhere near my BT access point). The Windows laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, only HDMI and USB. Can I buy an adapter to convert between (say) HDMI and ethernet, so that I can connect to the BT Business Hub 6? Thanks.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Ben1, thanks for getting in touch.
Most router set-up pages can be accessed via wireless and if you go ahead and connect your device to the router, although it can't get online just yet it should be able to bring up the router pages. I beleive the BT Hub 6  address you'd need is 192.168.1.1 and popping this into an address bar once connected to the router should let you in. To confirm though usually the router address is shown on the bottom or back of the router. Once logged in, follow @Baldrick1's great guide above and you should be good. Any issues though then please reach out and we'll be happy to help where we can.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

To access the BT router it is

http://192.168.1.254

Ben1
Grafter

Thank you Ben and LifeonMars, very helpful. I'll give it another go.

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

There seems to be a few red herrings here.

If you have a Windows laptop with no Ethernet port then it must have wireless. Assuming this is correct all that you need to do is go in to the laptop wireless page and find the Smarthub SSID, this is identified on a pull out tab on the back of the Smarthub.. Select this SSID on the laptop and enter the wireless password, again from the pull out tab.

You xhould not need to log in to the Smarthub or do anything else to get on line.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Hi, when I go to that address in my browser (192.168.1.254) I get the current Plusnet Hub One router. I have the BT one plugged into the back of my computer and the light is blinking purple. Do I switch off the Hub One? Many thanks.

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

You must only be connected to one hub. It sounds like you are connected to the Plusnet Hub over wireless and the Smarthub over Ethernet. If so then yes, either switch off your computer wireless on the Plusnet Hub

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Hi, I have quite well and got to step 10 and everything is ticketyboo. Step nine says about connecting DSL cable to BT master socket, but my setup is too far away to do that. Is it okay to just physically take the BT router to near where the phone line is now?
Baldrick1

@Ben1 

If you have got to step 10 then it it should be set up and ready to go, so yes, just swap it out for your Plusnet hub, which should be connected to the BT Master socket. It will take several minutes to start up and might then update its firmware before fully connecting, so don't panic if it doesn't connect you to the Internet straight away. If it hasn't been used for a few years it might also stop and do a second firmware update soon after it connects just to confuse you. Once it gets itself up to date it will settle down.

Moderator and Customer