cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre and WiFi 6/6e Router

Laconic

Full fibre and WiFi 6/6e Router

I’ve just upgraded to the 900 FTTP Fibre package with the Plusnet Home Hub 2.

As the HH2 doesn’t offer WiFi 6 or 6e I’d like to change and use a third party router that does offer this (most likely 6e as have two devices that are compatible).

Is it as simple as buying one and then sticking the fibre optic cable that comes out of my wall from the small box into the back of the new router?
11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Full fibre and WiFi 6/6e Router

AND, of course configuring the router with your username and password. I think that is all that is required, but if I'm wrong, no doubt someone will correct me.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Laconic wrote:

Is it as simple as buying one and then sticking the fibre optic cable that comes out of my wall from the small box into the back of the new router?

@Laconic 

No, not quite.

The fibre remains plugged in to the ONT - you remove the Ethernet cable connected to the ONT from your existing router and plug it into the WAN socket on your new one.

You also need to be sure you buy a router which can handle your higher speed.  Whilst the Hub2 can handle that speed, not all routers can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternatively, you could keep the HH2 as your router (with WiFi disabled), and buy WiFi 6 Wireless Access Points that suit you needs.

Laconic

Thanks for your reply. So I’d be making sure the new router supports anything over 900mbs I guess?
Laconic

So something like this?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-xe75-pro/

And then I’d use an ethernet cable to connect it to the HH2?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@RobPN wrote:

@Laconic wrote:

@Laconic 

No, not quite.

The fibre remains plugged in to the ONT - you remove the Ethernet cable connected to the ONT from your existing router and plug it into the WAN socket on your new one.

You also need to be sure you buy a router which can handle your higher speed.  Whilst the Hub2 can handle that speed, not all routers can.

Ooops - my error, sorry, @Laconic Embarrassed

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Laconic wrote:
So something like this?

I would suggest following the previous recommendations given and connect the TP-Link device directly to the ONT. The mesh router WAN port would need to be configured to PPPoE using your broadband username and password pair.

HTH

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Laconic wrote:

The TP-Link Deco can be set up in either a 'router mode' to replace the Plusnet HH2 or in 'access point mode' where it would plug into the HH" and provide a wireless network...  As suggested probably better to use it in router mode and plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into the Deco WAN port and configure it for PPPOE with your plusnet username and password.

Then keep the HH2 as a backup or for cust services support in the future.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Laconic 

There is conflicting advice that's confusing the issue. To cut to the chase you do not need to use the Plusnet hub.

You need a WiFi 6 router that supports the PPPoE protocol (most do).

You plug the WAN input to the Openreach supplied ONT.

You need to enter your Plusnet credentials as per the paragraph titled 'What settings should I use for a fibre router connected to an Openreach modem' (the ONT takes the place of the modem) from here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If you want to use WiFi 6 around the house you would be better off buying a mesh setup. You configure the master unit in exactly the same way. The best and far cheapest option at these speeds is to forget WiFi and use Ethernet cable and the Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Laconic

Thanks for the thorough reply. For various reasons a full cabled set up is not currently possible.

The Deco EX75 mesh set up looks to be my best option as I have two 6E compatible mobile devices. I can also Ethernet directly from two devices on my top floor into the second EX75 whilst also benefiting from wifi 6 for majority of other devices in the house.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'