Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

Re: Advise

Back to the original topic.

There is no reason why you can not use your Hub Two as a modem, provided you have the space and power points for two devices.

Other than the improved features of your new device you can continue using it when is when you migrate to FTTP. The Hub Two would be replaced by the Openreach Fibre Modem with no changes required to your home network.

HTH

Dan.

Darren8282
Grafter

Ethernet cables are used, cat7.
Darren8282
Grafter

My Systems are using ethernet Cat 7. I wouldn't game on wifi lol
Darren8282
Grafter

Yeh I have plenty spare power points. Thanks Dan. I'm guessing but is bridge mode what is used to put it in modem only mode.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Darren8282 

Yes change to bridge mode and connect your router to LAN1, LAN2 or LAN3.

The router would be setup for a PPPoE connection using your plusnet credentials

Darren8282
Grafter

Right thanks I thought it must be that I'm one of these I like to teach myself things in the go so I'm always looking about into things lol.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Darren8282 wrote:
I hear you John but I would like the best router for my gaming needs and I have plenty spare money saved for my technology etc. I have everything I need tbh just thought a better router might a good buy.

Plus I still can't get this connection stay on at proper sync. It seems to drop to 44 down and 3 up and weirdly is staying on ages but but as soon as sync goes to 64/20 which it should be it starts going off. 😪

If you are connecting via an Ethernet cable then a different WiFi router will not make any difference to your gaming experience.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Darren8282
Grafter

Lots of routers are designed specifically for gaming I thought? I'm confused now lol
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The argument for using a gaming router is improved Quality Of Service regardless of wired or wireless connection. It could also help other traffic being requested by the router.

Your choice of router may or not help, but your line speed is not likely to improve with it's use or be more stable.

Throwing money at a problem is not necessarily the best solution.

Dan.

Darren8282
Grafter

Well I mean I'm obviously hoping the issue is fixed by Monday after the next engineer arrives, if not I'll simply leave the service as wouldn't have any other options. But thinking positive hopefully it's fixed so I simply would like some recommendations on good Router/Modem combined that are going to be better than Hub 2 which I repeatedly see negative comments about.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

I was going to leave this to others, but one observation: If, as I suspect, this is an issue within the BT network, moving provider will not solve the issue - the only option would be to move to someone who uses their own network - either an altnet or Virgin, if you have one.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:

... this is an issue within the BT network, moving provider will not solve the issue

True unless you try A&A's "We'll fix your line" offer

"Give us a month and we'll sort your problem broadband line or your money back. If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your broadband line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't, then you can migrate away, and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month. - A&A"
jab1
Legend

Slightly expensive though, if you end up staying?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

While it is true that A&A are slightly more expensive (for me would be about 4% more than I'm paying now - but would also include VoIP, a /29 static IPv4 block, and native IPv6 - none of which Plusnet are likely to provide), for @Darren8282 it would be cheaper than buying a whole lot of new kit (which may not make any difference), for which he doesn't have the technical knowledge to make the most of, and potentially never resolving his connection issue if the Openreach engineer (on Monday) doesn't fix his line.  Also as a new A&A customer, I don't know what modem/router they are currently supplying (due to global supply chain shortage), but their previous devices had better capability than Plusnet's hubs, and were not ISP locked so could be continue to be used for any subsequent ISP, and is offered at a discounted £25.

jab1
Legend

Understand all that, @Anonymous .

John