cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from Sky

alicelight80
Grafter

Switch from Sky

Apologies of this is in the wrong section - please move if so.

Has anyone come across this before please? Upon reviewing my 'Sorry to see you go' letter from Sky (as they have retrospectively applied an early cancellation fee out of the blue and despite promising they wouldn't, as I switched within 30 days of being notified of the price rise) I also noticed that their letter says this:-

"Please note: As your Sky Broadband and Talk services are linked, if you have not arranged to transfer your Talk to
another provider, your Sky Talk will be cancelled 30 days after your Broadband is transferred. If your Talk does not
transfer to another provider before this date your line will be cancelled, your phone number will become inactive
and your Broadband service with your new provider will also cease."

Can Sky cease my line following my broadband switch on 22nd March? If so how do I stop them? I used the switching service with Plusnet.

Plusnet is BB only and I haven't used a landline in years, though it appears Sky allocated me a phone number.
8 REPLIES 8
alicelight80
Grafter

Re: Switch from Sky

My Sky account is not showing any active products
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@alicelight80 If your BB service is now with Plusnet, unless I am very mistaken, SKY cannot affect your services - despite their 'scare tactic' message, as your service is SoGEA, and therefore not reliant on having a 'Talk'/phone connection.

John
alicelight80
Grafter

Thanks, I've looked thoroughly at my Sky account and all looks cancelled anyway, including Sky Pay as You Talk, which looks to be internet calls anyway.

Horrid company.

Been having a nightmare with them all round. They're accusing me of lying about not having to pay early termination charges when moving within 30 days of notification of a price increase, so they are reviewing a recorded phone call re one of their advisors reassuring me of the same. They say he was wrong to say that, and that this get out clause only applies to straight cancellations, not switches!
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

A long time since I had the 'pleasure' of dealing with SKY (FLY?) on behalf of one of my sisters, @alicelight80 , but be prepared for a fight - they don't admit their errors easily, even if you have it in writing/email/service notification form.

John
alicelight80
Grafter

Yes I got that sense, even the Sky complaints guy today said that he couldn't do anything until the particular manager/back office dealing with my "investigation" had listened to the call. Despite this right being an Ofcom ruling I believe. He also said I could go to CISAS - you'd think he could have just cancelled this charge himself!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

"Please note: As your Sky Broadband and Talk services are linked, if you have not arranged to transfer your Talk to
another provider, your Sky Talk will be cancelled 30 days after your Broadband is transferred. If your Talk does not
transfer to another provider before this date your line will be cancelled, your phone number will become inactive
and your Broadband service with your new provider will also cease."

I suspect that is a standard message that hasn't been updated by Sky to reflect the 'stop sell' of conventional line rental last year. Up till then , the telephone and broadband 'assets' were inextricably linked, so cancelling the line rental would automatically cease any broadband provided over that copper line. This is no longer the case, new broadband provisions no longer have an associated line rental asset.

So as has been said above, any action by Sky will have no effect on the Plusnet broadband.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alicelight80
Grafter

Thank you, all sorted now by talking to someone who luckily had more than half a clue what they were talking about (vs the succession of other advisors thus far), in the cancellations team at Sky.

£65 early termination fee now cancelled, and confirmed Sky are not planning to / cannot cease my line...

Yes must be an old proforma letter / scare tactic.