cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to keep my existing home phone number

Pratensis

Request to keep my existing home phone number

I have just signed up to switch to Plusnet and have received an e mail advising when my Plusnet service will commence and that I will have a new phone number.

I wish to retain my existing home phone number.

How do I make this request?

17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re: Request to keep my existing home phone number

@Pratensis Im surprised you've been offered a phone service at all??.

Openreach have had a 'stop sell' on copper line phone service since September last year and Plusnet are not offering a Digital voice service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pratensis

We were with John Lewis and as they were closing down their service we checked for alternative suppliers. You are correct in that new suppliers are not given access, however other than BT, Plusnet is the only provider.

We are in a “dead zone” for the roll out of fibre. There is one fibre provider (therefore will have a monopoly) due to supply but they are still not yet able to provide a service. No idea what the cost will be. People running local businesses have had to go to satellite services but at a cost that is not justifiable for domestic use.

One of the joys of privatisation of an essential service!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

We were with John Lewis

Ah! now it makes sense. Since JL was actually provided by Plusnet, as long as you are moving to Plusnet on the same product, then it doesn't invlove a new order to Openreach. Its merely a change of account from JL to Plsunet.

You should be able to keep your phone number though! If fact I'd be surprised if they (Plusnet) were able to allocate a new one due to the 'stop sell' I mentioned above.

I'd give Customer services a call to check what's happening...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pratensis

Many thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

I've flagged this up with our brand migrations team to fix and make sure we're keeping your number.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi, I have broadband and line rental with plusnet and want to keep the existing land line phone number. What will happen when i come to renew my service with plusnet in a few months?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@ManicOrganic 

At the moment you can still recontract but only if you phone in.

However at some point the phone service will be withdrawn. When this happens you'll need to move to a VOIP provider for phones.

Brian

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Thanks Brian.  To keep the existing landline number, would i have to change broadband provider (away from plusnet) or will i be able to keep plusnet as my broadband provider and move back to BT to keep the landline/phone number?  Can't get my head round what is happening here! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

To keep the existing landline number, would i have to change broadband provider (away from plusnet) or will i be able to keep plusnet as my broadband provider and move back to BT to keep the landline/phone number?

@ManicOrganic 

There are two options:

1. You can transfer both broadband and phone to an ISP who provides a VOIP (Digital voice) service. Plusnet will assist with a transfer to BT/EE.

2. Take a broadband only service from Plusnet and either lose the landline phone number or transfer it yourself to a third party VoIP company e.g A & A https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Note that option 2 may require the you acquire voip hardware.

In terms of move back to BT to keep the landline/phone number? it is not possible to move just the phone service to BT.

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Again thanks.. 2 years ago i upgraded my plusnet broadband from copper to fibre and at that time was given a new router by plusnet that has a voip socket.. If i did as you suggest and sign up with A & A, could i operate that using my current plusnet router?

Basically, i want to stay with plusnet for broadband and keep current router. Can i do that and still somehow keep our current phone number?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

could i operate that using my current plusnet router?

@ManicOrganic in a word, No!. The voip port on the Plusnet router is non-functional.

Basically, i want to stay with plusnet for broadband and keep current router. Can i do that and still somehow keep our current phone number?

You can certainly keep the existing router, however you will need either some voip hardware ( to connect to the router ) or use of a Smart phone with a voip app.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@ManicOrganic 

I presume you're on FTTC as PN don't do phones with full fibre.

You don't "port" your number until after PN transfer you to a SOGEA line. Then you have 30 days to transfer the number to a provider of your choice. Note you'll probably have some down time.

If it's A&A you go with then you can set up the account in advance with a temporary number to check your phones work.

Note that VOIP doesn't work during power cuts. You need to have back up power for the router and any DECT phones (plus the ONT if or when you Full Fibre). This works for so long as the Cabinet has power (it probably has battery back up).

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

As mentioned on post #8 you can recontract your exact same contract. A test suggests that you can do this on line.

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi, Still looking into this.. When you say Voip hardware do you mean a new home phone that will plug into my plusnet router?

Also, we wouldn't want a radio phone in the house preferring everything hard wired.. Would this be possible with an A & A account like you suggest?