Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to keep my existing home phone number

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Re: Request to keep my existing home phone number

There are a few options you have with the hardware.  The 2 most relevant to you would be:

• ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) - This is a little box that plugs into your hub, which you can then plug any "normal" phone into
  • VoiP Desk phone - This would be very similar to any other hardwired phone you have, except it plugs into your hub rather than a phone line.  I've got one sat right in front of me now!

Less relevant to you, since you say you want it hardwired, but just for completeness:

• DECT VoiP Base station - This is similar to "normal" DECT base stations but connects to your hub rather than a phone line.  They may or may not come with handsets depending on what is purchased.  Other DECT handsets can be registered with them as well.
  • Non-DECT wireless phones - You used to be able to get (and possibly still can) a base station and handsets that aren't DECT but work in a similar kind of way.

The other option, which isn't technically VoiP hardware, is a Softphone.  That's an app that runs on your smartphone/computer that you can use to make calls on.

Depending on the service provider, you may be able to register multiple different devices on the same account at the same time.  Some do restrict that though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ManicOrganic
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for that. We are semi rural so don't have a phone signal in the house. To use a mobile we have to walk to a corner of a field that sort of thing. Hence why a landline number is so important. To complicate things further we prefer things hard wired so need to stay with plusnet as our plusnet router gives us the option to turn wifi off when not in use. Some routers only hide the signal but the wifi stays on.  So, happy with the plusnet broadband service, just can't afford to loose the landline and ideally have zero downtime. we grown and sell veg for a living so having to unpick all this stuff and forced to learn the inner workings of telecom systems is a pain. Forced upgrades like this have hidden dangers for the economy and peoples lives. Some ppl who can't get the relevant help could suffer badly because of this i'm sure. It's only 18 moths since we where made to have a new router that then didn't work as promised and took days of problem solving straight after coming out of hospital. Thankfully, this community came to the rescue then which is another reason we want to stay with PN for broadband.

Thanks all for the help and advice. will study it all now and hopefully find a way thru. Till next time Wink x

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

All those options would use the internet, either hard wired or wifi, depending on which one.

The softphone mentioned at the bottom, would also use the internet.  That could be wifi or mobile data.  I used to have my own business, with me being the only one in the company.  For that I had a VoiP account registered on my desk phone and also in an app on my smartphone.  If I was at my desk it was usually easier to use the desk phone, with speaker phone and such like.  If I was elsewhere in the house (having lunch or suchlike), I could still take a call on my smartphone via wifi.  If I was out of the home I could take the call via my mobile data or someone elses wifi (such as Tesco's!).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

To complicate things further we prefer things hard wired so need to stay with plusnet as our plusnet router gives us the option to turn wifi off when not in use. Some routers only hide the signal but the wifi stays on.

The PlusNet router is certainly not the only one where you can turn wifi off completely. I can't swear that all routers have the ability to turn it off (and yes I know what you mean about "hiding" the signal), though I've never come across a router where you can't turn off the wifi completely. But you certainly aren't stuck with PlusNet. If you were thinking of changing provider, (a) ask the prospective alternative supplier's technical support whether the router they supply can have its wireless turned off [and expect to have to try several times until you get someone who understands the question], (b) if you really establish for sure that they're going to supply a router that can't, you can always buy your own such router - I think they're about £20-£60 new, £15 or less second-hand (though make sure it isn't one "tied" to a particular provider).

Having said that, when the time comes I'll probably be sticking with PN for broadband; it's just a pain that they aren't doing VoIP. For the VoIP, everyone here seems to be suggesting A&A; one person in a newsgroup suggested voipfone. There are others.