Did you mean: 

Upload speed

FIXED
Notoriousxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Upload speed

Hi,

I have Full Fibre 145 and contract states I should be getting 30mbps upload, but I'm only getting 20. The download speed is fine and at 145mbps.

I have rebooted router and BT box but still the same. Is there anything I can do or configure on the router?

Edit to add:

I have tested on a mobile and tablet and the results are the same. Even right next to the router.
187 REPLIES 187
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Upload speed

@Notoriousxx I'm not certain on Full Fibre, but I do know on ADSL/FTTC the upload speeds are 'best effort', and are not guarantees.

John
Notoriousxx
Rising Star

Yes, I understand. This is my first time I'm on FTTP, and whereas the download is surprisingly correct (at least for now...), it bothers me that the upload is 10 less than what I am paying and what is advertised.

I am wondering if there may be a setting I need to tweak, or perhaps change to a different channel on the router?
jab1
Legend

As I said, the upload is 'best effort' and not a guarantee - there are various factors which can affect it, but I admit I cannot explain them - you need someone with greater knowledge for that.

From my experience, there is nothing on the Hub which will affect this, and no change of channel will increase it.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@Notoriousxx are your tests wired ( ethernet ) or wireless ?

and which speedtester are you using ? the BTwholesale one is notoriously inaccurate

To get an accurate result to determine if a problem exists with the connection, do a wired test using the Ookla tester ( speedtest.net )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Notoriousxx
Rising Star

They are wireless at moment. I use Speedtest by Ookla.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Notoriousxx  in any of your contract documents, emails, etc for your FTTP service, does it show anywhere what your line identifier is ?, this is typically named  "BBEU" or "Broadband Service ID",  and appears in the format "BBEUnnnnnnnn".

If you know your BBEU number, then I can show you how to find the Openreach upload profile that has been provisioned on your line, and check whether it has been set to 30Mbps or 20Mbps (the latter would explain your speed test result).

If you can't find your BBEU, it would be worth asking Plusnet Support to let you know what it is, for future line testing.

Notoriousxx
Rising Star

I can't find it. It would be helpful if a member of staff could provide this for me. The contract summary document I received says estimated upload 30mb - 30mb and no lower...

jab1
Legend

The contract summary document I received says estimated upload 30mb - 30mb and no lower...

As above - it says estimated - not guaranteed.

John
Notoriousxx
Rising Star

I am fully aware it says estimated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Notoriousxx  were your wireless speed tests done on 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi ?

Notoriousxx
Rising Star

5Ghz.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

In my experience, providing the machine doing the speed test is capable and the local environment i.e wifi is capable , then FTTP goes at the provisioned speeds.

Running a wired speed test, if possible,  eliminates most most of the variables

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Notoriousxx
Rising Star

I did a wired and it's stil 20mbps upload.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Notoriousxx  are you using a Plusnet router, or something else ? - and in either case what router model ?