cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT box power cable

Marty3

ONT box power cable

Hi everyone,
I have moved house and last night my broadband was connected. However my BT box (I think it is called the ONT box) doesn't have a power cable.
Please can someone tell me where I can get one or what I should Google to find one? I am not technical and this is all like a foreign language!
For now I've plugged in a power cable from something else and it works but it needs its own cable!

Thank you
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: ONT box power cable

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Full Fibre

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Have you phoned and spoken to Plusnet?  They may be able to arrange for Openreach to come and provide a new power adapter for free as well as check their ONT is functioning correctly?

Otherwise, which ONT model do you have?

eg. The Nokia ONT (Model G-010G-Q), requires  12.0v DC at 0.5 Amps.    Any replacement 12v DC and 0.5A or higher Amps would work as you have discovered.  Polarity is probably centre pin-positive polarity.  (In unlikely event it is reversed, the ONT will be toast....)

I don't know the size of the round barrel plug. It looked like 5.5mm outer diameter but the barrel was also half insulated along its barrel length.  The hole through the centre of the plug might be common size: 2.1 or 2.5mm?

fwiw, most router manufacturers like Asus, Linksys tend to use 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plugs for their 12v power adapters.

If the hole in end of plug is too big, what can happen is a 'loose' connection and the ONT may intermittently lose power if the cable is accidentally knocked.  (eg. the power adapters supplied with Plusnet Hub One and Two have a huge 3.0mm diameter hole in end of the barrel plug)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The ONT and power cable are  supplied and installed by Openreach and should have been left by the previous occupant.

Contact Plusnet and ask them to get Openreach to supply a power cable.

Marty3

Thank you. I will contact Plusnet to ask.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Marty3 

Does the Box you're talking about look like this.

https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT

Brian

Marty3

Hi BMC - yes that's the one.
Baldrick1

@Marty3 

Presuming that you know what the power supply that you are using was designed to work with, why not simply buy a replacement for that device?

Moderator and Customer

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Marty3 wrote:
... my BT box (I think it is called the ONT box) doesn't have a power cable.
... I am not technical and this is all like a foreign language!

You're not alone in not understanding what it all means.  I eventually looked up lots of the terms and made a post ("Technical Jargon") at https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Technical-Jargon/m-p/1919108/highlight...

I should maybe have had the presence of mind to label that post with each of the jargon terms (much like you labelled yours with ONT).

Given that we can't go back and edit posts here after 15 minutes or whatever the deadline is, I wonder if one of the moderators - @Baldrick1 maybe (?) - would be kind enough to go and add tags and labels at the foot of that first post?

I know that others here have answered the technical aspects of your query @Marty3 , just hoped the jargon stuff might be helpful.

footnote - how does a post become labelled?  just tried to add ONT to this and there's only a 'tags' option (right of message box) not a 'labels' option 😕

Have typed all the jargon terms in the 'tags' box, for now.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Baldrick1

@Penny 

Done

Moderator and Customer

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1 

Thank you Smiley  much appreciated.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Penny wrote:

footnote - how does a post become labelled?  just tried to add ONT to this and there's only a 'tags' option (right of message box) not a 'labels' option : /

@Marty3  Your original (opening) post at the top of this thread showed:

Tags: 

ONT

... how did you add the ONT label (?) Since mulling over that question, have noticed that posts 'everywhere' now seem to have 'add tags' below them - yet there's no option for 'add labels' (and nor is there a 'post labels' option to the right of the message box when composing a new message, yet there's a 'post tags' box).

... not that I know the difference between 'labels' and 'tags' but some insight into how you succeeded in adding a label, would be appreciated Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Penny I'm pretty sure that labels are for moderator/staff use.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

When starting a new topic I get the option to add labels and tags.  On replied I only get the option for tags.  I don't think "Superuser" status should give me any extra permissions in that area.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Just checked and I also can enter tags & labels on a new post, I do have a faint memory of a discussion regarding labels/tags and I'm pretty sure it was about staff/mods classifying posts.