cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

All the defending arguments from plusnet and elsewhere are virtually identical to those for the previous line rental "problem" and we all know how that ended.

You walk into a supermarket and find items are unpriced on the shelves. You ask a shop assistant who says no problem you take the items to the checkout where you will be told the prices before you pay. So you say what about wasting customer time and doesn't having items not properly priced confuse things. No says the assistant as any confusion is to the advantage of the supermarket and people will pay up at the checkout rather than waste time looking for other items.

I'm sure very few of you will need an explanation for the analogy above as it is of course about upload speeds being shown when on your way to ordering/checkout. Sorry to have to explain this as the thread is obviously about - is it acceptable for the upload speed not being shown on the front plusnet advert pages.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Well I'll give you 10/10 for creativity 🙂

So in your case translated back to plusnet... you go to plus.net and it wont tell you the price for the boradband until you get to the end, selected everything then a number comes up to pay, and anyone you ask along the way cant help you.

The reality is you go to plus.net and it tells you the price right on the first page.

The second bit or really good news is I have been getting it wrong all the time!

You DONT have to start and order aka go and wait in the checkout queue, but on the plus.net home page it has a big broadband availability checker box, which when I put my details to find out what plusnet will sell me it tells me my speed there and then.

So the analogy is more like I go to a travel agents and see I can go to Malaga from £100, when I get to the counter to ask about specific dates they tell me so I can make a decision to go or not.

So in summary sounds like Plusnet have listened and will tell you speeds before you go anywhere near an order now button.

Page 1 = Plus.net static landing pages generic for everyone.

Page 2 = Put you number to see what you are eligible for and they tell you.

Page 3 = prices of the different packages, and button to start you order!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

MrSilver  while i still disagree with your view , the Upload speed should be shown on the package page with the download speed .
i tried to insert mother in laws addres in availability checker ,,, but it dont seam to be working ??  so i had a look around the web page and foud this which made me chuckle pn upload.PNG
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for all those replies, folks. They confirm my suspicion that unless prospective customers do research elsewhere they won't see the upload speed before hitting the 'Start you order' button. Not what I'd call best practice, but I'm sure the marketing people think it's smart to hide this information.

MrSilver
Pro

@grahamt its the "check now" button on the home page, you dont have to start any order.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I can confirm this, having entered in a post code/selecting an address.

Apologies the information isn't on the package page, however the Check Now feature provides you with a list of all the products available to order for your selected address/line with the estimated speeds accordingly.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MrSilver wrote:

Whereas id say plusnet is better telling you on the first page of you specific speeds what you are going to get, virgin makes you fish around the site to fine it, more clicks and less trnasparent.. whenyou compare packages on virgin they cont mention there either.

either way my only real thing im standing up for is not that plusnet do it great or flawless, just that when people say its hidden in legal t&c and they are not transparent with speeds etc is to highlight that is not true. To but broadband from plusnet you firsybgot througha page telling you exactly what you are going to get.

and yes, they could put it elsewhere too, but they do make it clear to all signing up 😀

People compare product specifications BEFORE choosing and starting the order journey. Plusnet deliberately hide the upload speed until after you've made the decision to go with them.

Give me ONE example of a trading site where you have to click Buy Now or Add to basket to see the full specification of a product.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

The Check Now feature provides all the packages available to order for a particular line. In essence, it's a tailored spec.

This can be done before starting the order.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@rongtw wrote:
@MrSilver  while i still disagree with your view , the Upload speed should be shown on the package page with the download speed .
i tried to insert mother in laws addres in availability checker ,,, but it dont seam to be working ??  so i had a look around the web page and foud this which made me chuckle
pn upload.PNG

Yeah, superfast upload on fibre broadband - slower than the fastest upload on ADSL*.

* ADSL2 (Annex M)

MrSilver
Pro

@jelv wrote:

People compare product specifications BEFORE choosing and starting the order journey. Plusnet deliberately hide the upload speed until after you've made the decision to go with them.

Give me ONE example of a trading site where you have to click Buy Now or Add to basket to see the full specification of a product.

As I said above, you can press check now to see speeds before you decide to make a purchase, so you don't have to make any commitment to buy, or start the order journey to see the specification of the product.

If i look on Amazon there is pretty much no product that has all the information and specs about it on the first page.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just looked at 5 random products on Amazon and every one had Product Information and Product Description on the first page.

MrSilver
Pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D0WE99C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483482226&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236...

Look for any USB 3.1 hub and tell me where it confirms the power it's ports put out if you want an example. I've been looking as my ssd needs 2.1A to power it at high speeds

Sure they have product info but not all the specs as you quoted.

It's also not all on the first page. You have to hit for descriptions to get the info, in plusnets page you need your number to specify what you can have.

Want another example? Buy a holiday and they can't give you the full price till you tell them if you want to fly from Manchester or Heathrow - but still offer a from price.

Or you go to Alton towers and only find out on the day what rides are open

Or you buy a train ticket and there are no seats free

Or you buy a vps hosting solution and it doesnt tell you how much bandwidth you get just what that data centre has.

Or you buy a digital tv with lots of free view logos but your house doesn't get all the reception to get them all

Etc etc etc

All this because plusnet doesn't tell you the upload speed on the very first page, when for lots of people it's not a big decision point they want cheap fast internet.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

MrSilver Yes there may be a lot of analogy's , But there is no getting away from the fact that PN have decided NOT !!! to show the 2mg Upload on the first page !! 
I may be in a minority but what i look for a ISP i always look to see what Upload is there and download .
It begs the question are PN scared to advertise their minimal upload ?Huh
MrSilver
Pro

@rongtw unfortunately you will be looking for a while for upload elsewhere.

Virgin - no upload speed mentioned when you follow their broadband pages and order journey, you need to find on other pages on the site.

AA - nothing on the main product page on the speeds you are going to get until you put you number in.

BT - Lots about wifi and download, nothing on upload even af

TalkTalk - No upload information - even after putting line details in.

Sky - No upload information, even after putting details in and expanding the Your estimated line speed box

Vodaphone - Upload information only after i put my telephone number in

uswitch - No uploads for any providers

Chess Broadband - No speeds other than "fastest possible"

Zen - Only one that gives you the upload on the first page!

So if you want to look at an ISP to compare upload, and plusnet put it on the very first page there is no one to compare it to anyway! At least with plusnet they give you a way on the homepage to check your speed before you place an order unlike most others.

I also dont think it would cost them ANY sales by advertising it on the home page because a) no one else shows it for most people to know its either the same or slower. b) if you think people are put off by the 2mb upload why would they read and take it knowledge of it on the front page when they ignore it and buy anyway seeing as they have to go past on the second page before they order anything  anyway.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

line speed.PNGSeveral years ago when i joined PN they were not afraid to show uploads , on the home page for fibre when PN first started selling it they showed you the choice of 80/20 or 40/10 over the years it has decreased it has stopped being shown By all ISP.

See below from 2011