cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup f9 email on adroid

Gardener
Grafter

How to setup f9 email on adroid

Can anyone help please. My friend had to reset her Samsung A41 phone and now cannot sign into her f9 email account. She had tried everything but it keeps says that it is not responding. Does this mean that she had the incorrect password or dues anyone have any suggestions? She had tried both IMAP and POP3

31 REPLIES 31
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How to setup f9 email on adroid

I suspect it's one of these "too many attempts and we will lock you out" problems.

I've generally found logging in on the device on a web browser is a good start. If your friend can get in then move on to the email client.

Once the mail service starts to trust the device (by having seen a browser sign in) then attempting to set up a mail client may work. 

I am the satisfied customer....
Gardener
Grafter

She had tried that but no luck I fear. She had chosen "other" as it is not Gmail, outlook or yahoo and then tried both IMAP and POP3 with no luck. Possible the password is wrong so would need to be changed. Any suggestions how this can be done?

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

This is sounding a bit difficult!

Assuming it is associated with an active Plusnet account the email password will (I assume) be the same as the sign in for the Plusnet (Force9) account.

If it's an account that has remained live after the broadband service has ended I'm not sure what she should do next.

Is the account used on any other device (a computer for example)?

If so, the password may be remembered there and may be able to be seen (for example Google Chrome can remember passwords).

I would concentrate on trying to log in to the Webmail first and only when that can be achieved look at setting up an email client.

I am the satisfied customer....
Gardener
Grafter

She can sign in via the browser and use the remembered password but that is on the Plusnet site and not the same one she used to sign into her Force 9 email. So it does not help I fear. In the Plusnet sight it gives her the option to choose which email to use.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Mobile to Email

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@Gardener 

How are you setting up the servers? For Force9 you use .force9.net not plus.net

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ 

So your required settings would be:-

IMAP: imap.force9.net port 993 encryption SSL/TLS
POP3: mail.force9.net port 995 encryption SSL/TLS
SMTP: relay.force9.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS

User name (authentication) configured on BOTH incoming and outgoing server
Default mailbox accountname
Secondary mailbox accountname+mailboxname

I used gmail app for my free-online email address with no problems

HTH

Gardener
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for those suggestions. When seeing you mail on this Samsung phone there are no options to input those details. The email address is f9.co.uk not f9.net

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Gardener 

The email address might be .co.uk but the email servers are .net

In the gmail app you need go to manage the account and ensure the server settings are set to force9.net in both Incoming and Outgoing settings

Gardener
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van 

She is using the mail server that was on her samsung phone and not gmail. There does not appear to be any way to adjust the server settings for her mail.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@Gardener if its the Samsung email app then this should help with how to change the server settings https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/manx/en/samsung/android/android-10/guides/98/Change-IMAP-email-set...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW 

I think we've seen this problem before?

@Gardener 

So I've tried setting up Samsung email app and I can not setup an account get messages about username or password issues and POP3 and IMAP issues. gmail app does work with the correct settings.

Maybe consider a different email application.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think we've seen this problem before?

@Dan_the_Van yes, many email clients try to 'guess' the server settings from the email address. For Plusnet (and legacy f9 etc) the guess is wrong. Most email clients will allow you to set the server settings manually, its just finding how to do it!. Many are not obvious...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW 

Yes I am aware of the guessing game all email app do being with free-online it happens all the time for me!

But even with the correct settings I can not get the samsung email app to work, I'm going to see if I've missed something.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dan_the_Van I just looked at the Samsung devices I've got and I seem to have removed the Samsung email app from them so I can't try setting up a PN email account I'm afraid!

I always use k9 on any Android device