cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here! (Part 2)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here! (Part 2)

NB: in the case of the 90 day rule...

1. There is no foot print in the CRM or account contact mail address (postmaster@) of this activity
  2. The 90 day not accessed archive email is only sent to the not-accessed-mailbox - so each needs to be checked individually
  3. If not accessed for 180+ days the email archived following the first 90 days will be long gone

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blear
Dabbler

I am not sure how this system works.  Does anyone reply?

I think some of my emails were archived and I would like to get them back.  But it is difficult to know what is missing.

The system is very difficult to understand and to work with.

People say to me that that is because Plusnet is running down its email service as a deliberate commercial decision and I suppose that may be true.  But as long as there is no official announcement then I would like to be able to use the email as fully as possible.

Could someone from the Plusnet staff please offer advice.

Or could other users in the Plusnet community give me a view?

I suppose I must begin to think about what happens next.  But it is daunting to change email addresses and broadband supplier and I don't want to do that at all.

But I am in the dark, and need information please.

Bill Lear

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@blear Why do you think some of your emails were archived? If you were in danger of of exceeding the 1GB capacity limit, you would have received at least three warning emails once you hit 75%, and a final one when the archiving actually happened.

What you claim to have heard is mere hearsay - the 1GB limit, and the actions I describe above have been in operation from day one of the service going live - many, many years ago.

John
blear
Dabbler

Well, I wouldnt discount mere hearsay.  It often proves to be true.  And I have heard it from people who work in this field.  You can find reference to it on some of the forums as well.

But that isn't my main point.  Yes, I was asked to reduce the size of my account and tried to do so (I was travelling at the time) and was continuing the process on return (handicapped by my Plusnet wifi going down and taking ages to restore).  And you will probably admit it is not easy.  But then as I remember it, I was told that some of my emails were being archived but not to worry they could be easily retrieved.  I have not been able to find out what was removed or whether they have been returned.

I just don't get the impression that it is important to Plusnet.

Are you on staff?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

No, I am not staff - if I was, there would be a staff banner under my avatar. I am merely a Community member who has been around a long time and take an interest/try to help if I can.

When were you asked to trim your mailbox, have you done so, and have you requested the unarchiving?

John
blear
Dabbler

Yes I have been cutting out old stuff and removing attachments.  But one message said they couldn't really see whether anything was missing.  So it seemed to me that there was no working system by which one could track what had gone and what was still missing, or for that matter what the current size of my account is.  I realise I am not very good at all this, but it does not seem to be user friendly.  I guess in the end I will  have to accept that some stuff has gone.  But i wish Plusnet was a bit more approachable.  Thanks for your interest.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If a mailbox has been archived the ALL of it will have been archived.

If some bits are missing then something else is the cause.

As for the future of email, anything you have read or heard is ill informed. There are no plans to close the service … until and unless there is an OFFICAL announcement. Listening to jungle drums gossip will leave one poorly informed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blear
Dabbler

I accept that I am not at all up in all this but your reply doesn't ring true to me.  There has never been a suggestion of archiving all of the mail box as far as I know.  The threat was to reduce it.  But in any case, saying something else is the cause doesn't help me.  That 'something else' presumably falls to Plusnet?  And widespread industry gossip is built on actual people talking to their colleagues and observing what is happeneing.  They can't all be making it up, can they?  I get the impression that I have broken an unspoken rule by seeming to criticise.  But I do feel critical.  The system is not good enough and the support is not good enough.  The reason I am raising these issues in a forum like this is that I cannot get a response from Plusnet itself.  I have a fondness for Plusnet and have been a customer for years.  I like their style.  But it is difficult. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You are not obliged to use the service if you feel it does not fit your needs.

Rest assured that whole mailboxes are archived, sufficient to take the total usage below the FUP allowance. If *some* of your mailbox is missing, that is usually down to a user POP3 client removing mail from the server.

Yes there has been a lot of ill informed discussion amongst Plusnet CSAs. Superusers have transparent conversations with the business managers - should there be official plans to change the nature of the email service, users will be advised officially … not via support desk chatter.

blear
Dabbler

Forgive my saying this, but you sound cross.  It wasn't my purpose to get into a fight on this forum - I wanted help.  But I can understand how people become close to the company and see things through their eyes.

What I really was hoping for was a member of staff - it is really difficult ot engage, you must agree - to get back to me and try and help.

Of course I could simply leave, as you say.  But I have records, personal and precious to me, that I don't want to lose.  And I don't think I am being too demanding to try, politely, to achieve that.

Could you perhaps point me in the right direction?

marklory

Hi James,

sorry for slow reply, not been able to look until just now. I don't know how to look at different mailboxes, can you advise?

The only one I have been using for a long time is m... haven't used any others for years.

I got an email to postmaster on 26th March saying I had not logged in since 18 August, 

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@blear

Not so much cross as a tad irritated that when given sound advice based on what is known about how these systems work, someone looking for help persists in taking a contrary view of the world. In such circumstances it is not possible to help someone who refutes sound advice.

Based on longstanding information shared by the business, if your mail has been archived then the whole of a mailbox (not to be confused with all mailboxes) will have been archived. If the archive is related to exceeding the FUP then an email will have been sent to the account contact email address following at least 4 weeks of warnings, that the usage is over 75% / has exceeded 100%. There have been some reports of users having not seen such emails … because they do not monitor their account contact email address. FUP archive communications are also logged in the ticket system.

Archive of a single mailbox which has not been accessed for 90 days does not leave an entry in the ticket system and the warning email is sent only to the mailbox which has not been accessed.

If only some items are missing then you do not have an archive issue, it will require analysis … such would be better explored in your own thread, not here.

Staff do lurk here some of the time, but given that this is ‘community’ space, there are more non-staff people around here than staff … who at times have at least as good an insight to how things work as do the staff.

FWIW I run around 10 mailboxes on my account and have run a business on this mail platform … and generally speaking it’s all fairly sound … though sending to Gmail has been painful at times. In many ways this platform is functionally richer than many … especially given it is effectively free.

Mythic Beasts is functionally similar with a couple of bells but costs £2+pcm.

Nope not wedded to the company (ask the ‘bruised’ staff) but I will be fair about what does or does not work.

blear
Dabbler

But your sound advice was not to continue to use the service if it didn’t suit me. I was hoping to get some pointers on how to engage with Plusnet and restore my emails. I know it’s not going to happen.  Over and out. 

rback
Hooked

Hello my Mum's emails have all vanished and she's very worried. I think they have been archived as this same thing happened to my mailbox a few weeks back. She can now only see messages recieved from last tuesday. Her email is <Redacted>.f9.co.uk. Could her messages (in all folders) be restored please?Huh

Moderator's note:
Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@rback I have raised this up for you now to get unarchived.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team