cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"I have to follow the protocol" - which is code for "Pi??off !"

DrWho
Hooked

"I have to follow the protocol" - which is code for "Pi??off !"

Hi - I  having problems with customer services regarding line dropouts and speed problems.

I have rung customer services a few times and the response is the same.

Me  - I have a problem with my line -  I have previously  run the Plusnet tests  and waited 24 hours

Handler  - " Oh  I can see  from your notes  the  test results  "

Handler -  " I have to follow the protocol and re-run  the tests"

Handler  - " I see that you are not getting  your contractual speed     -- you are getting  only 15Mbps"

Handler  - "I'll make a  record of  your issue"

Handler  - " Wait for 24 hours and get back to us   - the protocol does not allow me to raise this problem to the next level"   -- which is code for  -  We hope that magic internet fairy will solve the problem.

Me ( After 24 Hours ) I have a problem with my line -  I have previously  run the Plusnet tests  and waited 24 hours

Handler  - " Oh  I can see  from your notes  the  test results  "

Handler -  " I have to follow the protocol and re-run  the tests"

Handler  - " I see that you are not getting  your contractual speed"   

Handler  - "I'll make a  record of  your issue"

Handler  - " Please wait for 24 hours and get back to us   - the protocol does not allow me to raise this problem to the next level " 

Repeat  24 Hours later  !!!!

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: "I have to follow the protocol" - which is code for "Pi??off !"

@DrWho 

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
DrWho
Hooked

Hi Jab1  - You have not read my post.   

The facts are -

1) I have run the Plusnet tests  

2) There is a known issue with my line/speed - running more tests will not fix the fault.

but I still have to wait another 24 hours before the protocol allows  the issue to be escalated  

Please read the post before posting a template reply

jab1
Legend

@DrWho  I DID read your post, I am merely offering help which does not follow the script-readers 'protocol', but if you don't want that help, just say so -  your choice.

John
DrWho
Hooked

Thank you  - However,  Plusnet has agreed there is an issue.   

I am frustrated with the "wait 24 hours protocol " - hoping the issue will somehow fix itself. 

'Insanity is doing the same thing (running the same tests)  over and over again and expecting different results. ' 

jab1
Legend

I understand your frustration - if I was still a PN customer and got that response continually, I would blow my top, big time.

However, IF you supply what I have asked for, there may be a way to break this apparent deadlock. Unfortunately, Community members don't have access to the PN systems, so we need you to supply us with some details we can form an opinion from, and hopefully suggest a way forward - as I say, we are not bound by this claimed 'protocol'.

John
bogart99
Grafter

They always seem to be reading off a script. Initiative they know not the meaning of the word.
jab1
Legend

That is why a 'push' from someone NOT reading off a script can sometimes be useful.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I've brought this to the attention of forum staff. Lets see if we can get a sensible response...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @MisterW 

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Point of information - there has been a change in diagnostic protocol - however this case ought not to be subject to the new protocols. So ask for the issue to be passed to the triage team if the front line person will not pass the issue to BT Openreach.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DrWho
Hooked

No - my problem is not solved.   

Me  ( after  giving  my account details )  what is going on ?

Handler -  Can I read your notes?

Handler  -  Nothing has changed   -   we will have  more information  on Monday  (22nd)

Handler   - Ring back on Monday  - nothing  I can do.

Me -  Can I speak to a manager?

Handler   - no 

Me  - I want to speak to a manager

Handler  - ( after a lot of  pressure  ) puts me on  hold for 5 mins

Handler  - Sorry no managers are available   - a manager will ring you back.

Me  - When ?   in the next hour? - today ?

Handler  - I don't  know  ...Err  Yes within the next hour  ( which is code  get off my back  and go away ) 

Who wants to take a bet that no manager will ring me? 🙂

My next call will be to the retention team  - bye-bye to plusnet  after  10 years 

DrWho
Hooked

All of you should have taken the bet .

Shock Horror   - a team leader  ( with a ton of softsoap ) has rung  me

Guess what   -  He is very sorry  but can't do anything   -  "PN will ring you on Monday (22)  and inform you of any updates."

So now - it is wait 48 hours 🙂

I can hear the can being kicked down the street.

It looks like  Virgin ( We have the cable already)  here I come  - twice the speed  for the same price 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Guess what   -  He is very sorry  but can't do anything

Did he advise whether the problem has been raised to either the triage team or Openreach ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Has the issue been raised to BT Openreach?

Is there an open ticket on your account? See the PN Ticket button below.

If the issue has been raised with BT Openreach then the 22nd it is as THEY will not entertain a chase from an ISP until their next review date / time.

If the issue has not been raised to Openreach then Plusnet should have advised what action is being taken, by whom and when. At the very least, this should go to the triage team.