Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong line profile

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Wrong line profile

@alicelight80 wrote:
We have the test socket in the porch, a socket in the room through the wall that the router is plugged into with a filter, then two or three other telephone points in the house that we don't use and I thought were dead, though one looks like it could have been a master socket the past...

This sounds like a classic lash up that could introduce a bridge tap. Can you see where the BT cable enters your property? This is where the master socket needs to be fitted. To get the best performance this should be fitted with a filtered faceplate with any extensions wired from the filtered output, preferably serially. The hub should be connected to the faceplate DSL output. If the master socket is in an inconvenient location get it moved by the engineer. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alicelight80
Grafter

The test socket is where I think the line would logically first enter the property, at the front of the house (external porch), though I'll double-check. If any doubt I wonder if a fresh new wire could be put in. 

The Qube engineer said he had isolated the telephone extensions, but he'd left it in a way that they could be reconnected again if needs-be (we won't), so not 100% sure what's gone on.

Currently I'm on noise margin 6.2 (down from 6.3 last night), occasionally up to 50mbps down, 12-14 up, but averaging 42-45 down, so think there's still something affecting the line. Can someone help me book this appointment for better bridge tap investigation please?

(Any day is fine apart from 9th-11th)

alicelight80
Grafter

Texted ADVISOR again and spoke to someone, line speed is 50 coming in, Qube bridge tap engineer requested for tomorrow afternoon as this fault still showing.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Keep us posted. 😉

John
alicelight80
Grafter

2nd Qube engineer visit yesterday, rejigged wiring to make even surer there was no internal bridge tap, ran diagnostics after and bridge tap still on line, I think an appointment with Openreach has to be booked as still not min 57 down (47).
jab1
Legend

I'd give them (PN) a ring on 0330 123 9123 - will be quicker than waiting for Support on here.

John
alicelight80
Grafter

Thanks, I wasn't sure who exactly books that appt
jab1
Legend

Plusnet.

John
alicelight80
Grafter

I've just come home from being away for a few days, so haven't managed to call Plusnet to request an Openreach engineer to solve external bridge tap, however, in the meantime, the line seems to have recently re-synced itself to the exact minimum 57mbps download we've been promised by Plusnet (which matches the downstream handback threshold for an impacted line) so I doubt they would involve Openreach now, even though we could possibly achieve approx 73mbps as next door. 

However I'll keep an eye on it and request Openreach if it drops below this again. Perhaps the internal wiring must have been having an impact after all - the Qube engineer put a master socket directly behind the router. As I wasn't there for that appt I'm not entirely sure what he did, but I left a note to check for star wiring to exclude possibility of internal bridge tap.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.25.14.png

alicelight80
Grafter

Noise margin better than before but noticed a slight creep up from yesterday evening:-

Screenshot 2024-04-13 11.34.16.png

alicelight80
Grafter

**UPDATE**

In short, there was a bridge tap at the exchange, someone at least 7 years ago wired us in wrong.

Now syncing at 72 down, 20 up.

So whilst DLM reset and sorting some internal wiring got it from 35 down, 7 up, to 57 down, 15 up, the original fault was at the exchange.

Thanks to all for your help 😊
jab1
Legend

Glad to know you're back to normal - and it was an Openreach issue! 😀

John