Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong line profile

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Wrong line profile

Bridge taps are unterminated extensions of the telephone line or loop. They can alter the impedance of the local loop, especially at ADSL & vDSL frequencies. With DC (AC when the phone rings!) voltage the bridge tap behaves like an open circuit (so no effect), but with high frequencies (ADSL & vDSL), the loop becomes a transmission line "stub". This impedance mismatch can cause a wide variety of problems, but typically it causes a reflection of data bits from the tap-point back to the point of transmission. This results in bit errors, or in English, your speed will most probably reduce.

A bridge tap can affect the speed at the test socket if the wiring is not correct. If wired correctly, Extensions SHOULD be disconnected when the test socket is being used.

Wonder if a bridge tap can be caused before the test socket, where it was repaired in the driveway after being severed 4 years ago. 

Assuming the repair was done by Openreach then it shouldn't...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alicelight80
Grafter

Thanks, line in driveway was repaired same day, I think by Openreach (Wales & West dealt with it all as they caused it).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@alicelight80 

Whilst my money would be you being provisioned, or you are stuck due to a software glitch, on the 40/10 service, another question: Are you on a static IP address? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alicelight80
Grafter

No I don't think I'm on a static IP, I had one a few years ago (can't remember if it was this house, think not) and have gone through several different suppliers since then and not set one up. IP online check says 'likely dynamic'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi @alicelight80 

I can see you spoke with a colleague today who's raised a request to reset your DLM profile

Have you noticed any difference?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alicelight80
Grafter

Thanks, no difference at all I'm afraid, I think he said he would call me back before he leaves this afternoon with next steps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MatthewWheeler  given that the DLM reset didn't restore @alicelight80 's speeds,

can you check that  @alicelight80  has been provisioned on 80/20 SoGEA. and not 40/10 ?

as it looks unusual that their router download "Data Rate:" is exactly at 40Mbps,

given that the corresponding "Maximum Data Rate:" is quite a bit higher !

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 15-50-51 Wrong line profile.png

alicelight80
Grafter

Hmm, well I think my tech finished his shift at 4.30pm and no promised call back received .

Should I text ADVISOR again and run the risk of getting someone who wants to start from the beginning and film my test socket?

Many thanks

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@alicelight80 I wouldn't start the process again - Plusnet are aware and should be monitoring what is happening - but note the 'should'.

@MatthewWheeler  You still around to investigate, please?

John
alicelight80
Grafter

Just noticed router dropped connection and re-connected higher, particularly upload, though download still below the handback threshold of 57mpbs on this 80 line - wonder if it'll improve or regress... (previously was stable at max 35 down, 7.5 up, data rate profile was 40 down, now 50)

Screenshot 2024-04-06 19.53.10.pngScreenshot 2024-04-06 19.51.38.png

alicelight80
Grafter

Oh the noise margin has changed too

jab1
Legend

That is looking much better, @alicelight80 . Noise margin back where it should be - roughly - and speeds creeping up, although you might get a couple more 'blips' as your speed (hopefully) gets above the H/B threshold.

Do you still have an engineer planned to check the bridgetap issue?

John
alicelight80
Grafter

No engineer planned as nobody got back in touch today following the reset - I can see DLM is trying to do its thing. I guess I'll wait a few days and chase if my download is much less than 57mbps, though maybe negligible in real life use.

Really pleased with the upload speed so far anyway; we both work from home on local government VPN including lots of file uploads / downloads, including AutoCAD, so I think husband in particular will notice a difference in sending large files.

jab1
Legend

OK. The bridge tap does need investigating though, as until it is rectified you may find things regressing again. See how things go tomorrow, and if you don't get an engineer visit offered, come back and lets see if we can get one arranged.

John
alicelight80
Grafter

Ok will do, that makes sense, thanks for your help