cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Dansworth

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Hi,
I've been with plusnet for just over a month and I've experienced upload speed problems throughout this time, it's only now I've been able to pinpoint it.
Device : Laptop
Make : Apple, Macbook
I've been having problems sending e-mails via the 'Mail' programme on my Mac, especially ones with attachments. I tried sending them with the modem wired to the laptop and there were no such problems. Following what people have done in this thread, I did a speed test.
The results:
WIRED:

WIRELESS:

There's obviously a huge difference in upload speeds, which must be the reason for my problems.
What is the procedure regarding a solution?? Do I raise my problem in here or should I raise it with plusnet directly?
I've seen a few helpful people sending out new routers/modems to customers, so maybe I can just do it through this forum?
Cheers for any help!
EDIT: Just to add, I have a TG585 v8 Thompson and the firmware is up to date.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could try ringing up in the hope that the agents have all been made aware and can get a replacement sent out. If that doesn't work you'll have to wait until on of the PN staff see your post on here which will be in the morning.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dansworth,
Welcome to the forum. I've ordered a different router for you. It should be there in 2-3 working days.
Jojo Smiley
Dansworth

Fantastic Jo.
Really appreciate the prompt response!
kevfquinn

Quote from: Joanne
Hi kevfquinn,
I've ordered a replacement router for you, you should receive it in about 2-3 working days.
Jojo Smiley

Many thanks.  Picked it up today, now showing 0.36Mbps upload over wireless on all devices, and the Dell is also successfully working wirelessly without the new router resetting.
Kev  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kev,
Great news, thanks for letting us know.
Jojo Smiley
rodneyfans

Hi - this topic is very interesting and relevant
I joined Plusnet in March. Suffered from slow speeds; told to wait for 10 days; still no improvement. We are mac users (macbooks, iPads, iPhones) and sync with iCloud stopped which drove us insane. Also, I use the LinkedIn site a lot, yet couldn't access this properly (kept being bounced back to sign in page). We did speedtest after speedtest but nothing changed. Altered DNS settings and channel but still no difference. Re-booting the router occasionally helped but only for short while. Had another conversation with Plusnet last Thursday, and guy suggested he send us another router - Thomson Technicolor 582n
We received this on Saturday. I was apprehensive about setting up new router, changing all passwords etc only to find no improvement, so I 'googled' and found this thread
As a result, I changed over to the 582n, and all previous problems have gone away
What I don't understand, is that I reported my problems to several Plusnet techies, yet none of them had come across my issues. Given the number of people who've had the same problem, I'm amazed someone at Plusnet hasn't pulled all this info together so all their people can be properly briefed.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rodneyfans,
Quote from: rodneyfans
I'm amazed someone at Plusnet hasn't pulled all this info together so all their people can be properly briefed.

I have. Unfortunately it's still being missed sometimes. I can only apologise that it took so long to get your issue identified.
Jojo Smiley
Billysboots

Hi
I am getting wifi dropping on numerous wifi devices in my home using the TG585 v8. Do I need a replacement as it ruining my plusnet experience. How do I go about getting one?
Thanks in advance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you had the router less than a year? If so you should get one free with no implications on your contract length.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Al00fy

Hello....
Well the replacement router is now producing .08 Upload speed after its promising full speed upload as before.
I spoke to the support department to see if I can obtain this new router that you all speak of, but to no avail - apparently by uncapping my upload speed this will resolve the problem - it also could make the line unstable as well.
So back to the forums for a sensible answer  Cool
@JOJO any chance you can sort this for me please.
topgun44

hi all i have got this thomson as well i having very slow downloading done 3 test over the last week and i getting 0.5 meg most of the time few weeks ago i was getting 6.5 so they is something wrong with thormson or my line  Angry
iandp

I am having the same problem as BillysBoots, my wireless will at time drop completely. All connections are gone from laptops, ipads, iphones etc.
Another issue I have is I cannot connect my HP wireless printer to the new Plusnet router.
Current Router is TG585 v8 with firmware of 8.2.7.8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Al00fy - your order to uncap the upstream has been placed and should complete on the 24th for you, hope that sorts things.
@topgun44 - you're in sync at 8128 with a profile of 6500, and your profile across our traffic management system is correct for the account type you're on. Do you get those kind of results on speed tests as well, and if so could there be anything else on the network using the bandwidth while you're trying to use the connection? Usage does look fairly heavy with a fair amount of p2p traffic, bear in mind that if something (usually torrents) are uploading then the lack of upstream bandwidth will lead to much slower downstream connectivity.
@iandp - I can't see many drops showing on your line so it may well be the wireless dropping. Does a reboot of the router help at all in those situations?
Regarding the printer, I've definitely seen a thread on here regarding printers and issues connecting to wireless in the hardware forums here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103815.0.html
Hope that helps.
malcranmer

Hello. I signed up to Plusnet in Jan, and have really struggled with the Thomson router. It drops the wireless connection so often it's really frustrating - I've watched it drop out even whilst I've been typing this post Sad I'm really gutted to have signed up for 12 months just to save £40 on the router.
Plus my speeds are really disappointing. I live in flats so I guess there are quite a few people online round here, but I can't watch iPlayer etc... without freezes and drop outs due to insufficient bandwith. I'm really at my wits end, as I'm not very techie and so am not sure where to start, but surely I should at least stay connected to the router?
Any hints on what might be going wrong would be gladly received.