Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue Speed drops to 2mb for SSL connection

RogerMcnulty

Weird Issue Speed drops to 2mb for SSL connection

Hi ,
I seem to have Run in to a small issue.
Me and A few cousins run a Ftp server hosted in the Netherlands , which we use to backup our documents , personal files, photos , linux iso etc. (Nothing iIlegal)
Now i have just moved from the Unlimited speeds 60gb account on to the Unlimited Broadband account and for some reason my speeds have droped down to 2mb sec for downloading of my server , i have speed tested from other wesbites including the Server hosters speed test link and i max my connectiion speed of at 16mbs. My server is ssl and after further testing i have pin pointed that my speed slows down to 2mbs for any ssl connection :S  When i was on the 60gb a/c the same would happen but when i added the pro addon for £5 i was totally fine and this Unlimted account has no option for the Pro addon. I dont want to leave Plusnet because to be honest with you i love plusnet , the support , the prices , service etc
My apologies for the rambling
Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Weird Issue Speed drops to 2mb for SSL connection

lexusuk
Grafter

Hi RogerMcnulty,
As per the expected download speeds table for the Unlimited product here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_unlimited_archive.shtml#downloadSpeed...
Download servers are rate limited to 2Mbps at all times.  Unfortunately as you know there is no option for the Pro Add-on on the Unlimited product.  This means that you would have to switch to Plusnet Extra to avoid the 24/7 rate limiting.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The limit is only afternoon and evening - midnight to noon is unlimited so you would need to schedule your downloads if at all possible
matt_2k34
Grafter

Which at your line speed you should be able to pull well over 8gb/night just in the unlimited hours.
There is no need to worry about 'talking' about 'illegal' doings, as the forum rules states - talking about them is fine Smiley encouraging law breaking etc. is bad however Smiley
unless your getting nightly builds, or are downloading every edition of ever distro .. thats lots of linux  Wink
Regards
lexusuk
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The limit is only afternoon and evening - midnight to noon is unlimited so you would need to schedule your downloads if at all possible

My mistake.  Oldjim is correct.  On the Unlimited product the rate limiting occurs between 12pm and 12am for download servers.