Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to troubleshoot Vodafone Suresignal connection

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to troubleshoot Vodafone Suresignal connection

Hi,
I am a customer on a legacy PAYG pakage which as far as I can see from the PMN website has no traffic restrictions placed on it at all. I do not have my PN broadband firewall switched on and I have followed the Vodafone troubleshooting guide and manually forwarded the following ports to my VSS2's static IP:
8 TCP
50 TCP
123 UDP
500 UDP (VPN)
4500 UDP
However it seems that the VSS2 still won't connect to Vodafone.
From the Vodafone support forum I know I'm hardly the only person with this problem, but I just wanted to check that nothing at the PlusNet end would be causing any problems first.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Trying to troubleshoot Vodafone Suresignal connection

Have you followed the info here: http://community.plus.net/library/uncategorized/using-vodafone-sure-signal-with-plusnets-thomsontech...
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,
Well, kind of. That's a description of how to set up port forwarding on that specific router. My router is made by Netgear, so the steps are slightly different even if the end result is the same.
One thing that is different though is that you have configured all the ports for both TCP and UDP whereas in there own troubleshooting guide they say that that ports 8 and 50 have to be TCP only and 123, 500 and 4500 are UPD only. (I note that port 8 does not appear in your guide).
This is an excerpt from the Vodafone guide here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/New-Sure-Signal-Steady-Power-Light-Only/td-p/679...
Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.
The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com
Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26
Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP
Port 8 - TCP/IP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191
Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

I can easily set up the addtional forwarding rules, but are they actually  necessary?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Port forwarding issues aside, can someone confirm that there isn't anything routine within PN or my account that would routinely block the Suresignal, even if it was set up correctly?
I don't want to get into days of troubleshooting only to find that its an ISP issue. I don't think it is, but I just want to be sure.
Thanks,
BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

mine works out of the box no port forwarding just the standard router set up though i would have to set it up but works fine with out issue.
so best of luck with this
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

What is the MTU size set to on the router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was 1458. I just changed it to 1500 but no improvement so far.