Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trinitarian broadband!!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Trinitarian broadband!!!

OK, there's been a drop in connection visible in that lot, but this GUI log only has limited capacity, but your previous posting shows the time synchronisation originally occurring at 47 minutes 48 seconds past the hour which changes to 29mins 19 seconds past the hour.
Then in this last log there's 
Error    Aug 21 18:42:13   FIREWALL replay check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 117.196.127.126 Dst ip: 146.90.158.135 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable
and in the previous log post and this one, more significantly         
Info    Jan 1 00:02:45   CONFIGURATION saved by TR69
All this suggests some sort of Reset going on.
Anotherone
Champion

Right. I'm reckoning the modem./router has either just got it's wotsits in a twist or is possibly broken - just worth checking, it's got adequate ventilation has it? Not covered up, sitting on carpet etc?
Try the following. Log into the modem/router and on the first screen you should see a Disconnect button. Click that. After about 30 seconds pull the modem/router power plug, wait about another minute and unplug it from the filter. Now leave it off for half an hour.
After that turn it on again but do not connect it to the filter.
Next to the power switch on the back is a small hole, get a paper clip or other longish thin object/screwdriver that you can gently push in to press the reset button. Hold it for 8 seconds or so. This should cause a factory reset.
After several minutes when all the lights have stabilised except for perhaps the Broadband one which may be flashing. login to the modem/router and check that the initial screen looks fairly normal but you won't be connected at this point.
Reconnect to the Filter.
Go away and have a cup of tea/coffee or other beverage and come back after about 15 minutes when the thing should have been reconfigured by TR-069 with your broadband credentials and all the lights lit and steady, you should be connected. If not, and you can't connect it may be broken and you'll have to ring in to Plusnet unless you have some other Internet access (library perhaps?).
avodat
Grafter

It is situated in the coldest room in the house, on the window sill.
I'll try your suggested recovery plan - if I don't come back for a while, worry not, I have a busy daytoday!
Anotherone
Champion

Good luck,  I even said a very brief prayer for you  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hi Avodat,
If it is not too late, can you please hold off doing Anotherone's factory reset.
The TELNET log (accessible via router stats) as advised above is MUCH longer than the one available by the GUI.  It might (hopefully) cover back until just before the disconnect.  Could you please give it a try?
Thank you,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Kevin, there's really no point, it's quite obvious from the log entries that we've seen, that the thing is screwed for some reason. Factory reset and start again is the obvious route, if it continues to give problems with Warm Restart, then one needs to consider power dips next or an alternative modem/router as another way of checking.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Anotherone,
I do not disagree: it would though be of interest.  Seeing the more detailed messages has refreshed my memories of warm restarts I've seen.  Iirc they were associated by something nasty on the firewall.  I am just interested if the same is being seen here.  Grabbing any evidence which exists before following your guidance might be informative.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

If what you suggest might be happening (unlikely IMHO), it will be there afterwards. If not, fine if all is OK.
Edit: Always try the quick solution first taking account of  the possibility of what you suggest/other factors.
avodat
Grafter

My stress levels are now about the same level as the router has been. Eventually, I think, I've got everything (though I've not re-connected the printer) back to as it was. Now I'll have to work Monday to do the work I haven't done today!   Cry Cry
Townman - too late, sorry. I haven't been online to see your helpful thoughts while all this has been down.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Quote from: Townman
@Adam - The line stats above report a SNRM of 3,3dB so either the above change referenced by Chris did not get done or failled, or we are looking at a -3dB SNRM drop caused by interference.  This might expalin the error rate, but does rather open Pandora's box over what might be wrong.  Can you please confirm the current TARGET SNRM for this line?

From looking at the diagnostics, it seems that SNR reset failed so I'm going to see if we can get this placed and shift that 3.3db back up to 6db in the hopes of stabilising the line.
Quote from: Townman
Adam,  What is the DLM status of this line please - RAG?  As has been indicated through this and the other thread there is nothing obvious which relates the disconnections to anything, however the line stats are not great.  Not used the line and it appears to remain stably connected, try to use it and (IIRC CP's analysis) PPP keeps being dropped WITHOUT loss of synch.  Note experience with previous ISP (O2 over LLU?) could point to this being exchange equipment.  This is a corundum more puzzling that the Holy Trinity!

Having run the diagnostics and checked the details, it appears that there is no banding in place and the status of the line is actually shown as Green so nothing appear to have kicked in as a result of the dropping connection.
I've made contact with our products team and I'm just waiting for some information back now pending some digging but I think it may well be worth looking at a firmware update to see if we can resolve the issue.
@avodat - Are you able to confirm the firmware version of the router you're currently using? Hopefully we should be able to perform a remote firmware update for you and this could then help to resolve the issue.
In addition to this I'm going to place the SNR reset for you and how that we should see some improvements off the back of this as well.
Anotherone
Champion

@avodat
To get the firmware version, just log into the modem/router and it should be at the top of the page that follows the login screen, under Information.
I get the impression from what you have said, that you may have had some "customisation" in your modem/router setup, would that be correct, and if so what is it?
Whilst Kevin's thought's may have been interesting, messing with the logs at that point would only have been delaying the inevitable. If such an issue were present, it will continue and we can look at the logs in more detail. Plusnet are proposing a possible firmware upgrade which may help.
avodat
Grafter

I had to go out for a while, and computer was off. Here is the log since I reconnected it all as per Anotherone's post. Eventful, it seems.
Recorded Events

Time Message

Info Aug 22 16:03:21 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.68)

Error Aug 22 15:51:41 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 109.161.143.221 Dst ip: 84.93.214.184 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Error Aug 22 15:23:57 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 76.2.126.147 Dst ip: 84.93.214.184 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Error Aug 22 15:21:20 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 6): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 110.243.206.56 Dst ip: 84.93.214.184 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable

Info Aug 22 15:07:20 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.10

Info Aug 22 15:06:54 CONFIGURATION saved by TR69

Info Aug 22 15:06:45 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Warning Aug 22 15:06:44 PPP link up (Internet) [84.93.214.184] 

Info Aug 22 15:06:38 PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok

Info Aug 22 15:06:32 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = JUNOS)

Info Aug 22 15:06:29 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = bras-red6.wv)

Info Aug 22 15:06:22 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 13483 kbit/s, upstream: 1235 kbit/s; output Power Down: 20.8 dBm, Up: 12.3 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 22.5 dB, Up: 10.9 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.1 dB, Up: 6.6 dB)

Warning Aug 22 15:05:51 PPP link down (Internet) [146.90.194.206]

Info Aug 22 15:05:48 xDSL linestate down

Info Aug 22 15:05:17 xDSL linestate down

Info Aug 22 15:05:00 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules

Info Aug 22 15:05:00 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Info Aug 22 15:05:00 xDSL linestate down
Anotherone
Champion

What's above in isolation is not that eventful really, it's what went before that may be a clue, as I mentioned earlier the GUI log is limited in it's output.
Do you know how to open a Command prompt window? Which version of Windows are you using? In case I missed it, which Routerstats did you install?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your update as discussed in our PMs - very much appreciated.
The news that the SNRM reset failed is in some ways good news as it rather removes the possibility of significant REIN, though I still await visibility of the RouterStats graphs as and when Avodat has the time.

I asked NPR for a view on the router tantrums and this is what he said...
Quote from: npr
AFAIK the "kernel warn restart" just indicates the router has had a unrecoverable error, could be anything really. IIRC the TG586v7 suffered badly from this before being fixed with new firmware, it was often claimed to be improved by giving the router better ventilation and or disabling UPnP.  Running P2P was often claimed to exacerbate it.
His connection quality looks ok but he did use a fair bit if data in just under 2 days, more that just browsing -- is he using p2p?
Could the problem  be a fault (cheap Chinese) laptop power supply giving out lots of RF?
My daughter had one of these once, she destroyed 3 of my routers (well the routers power supply) before I discovered the cause. A simple test with a AM radio will prove a faulty (RF emitting) power supply.
Sorry I can't be more help but good luck with this one.

Is there any way the PN product guys can ask TG about the TG586v7 issues and see if there is any relevance / applicability to TG582n throwing a "kernel warm restart" please?  Have any such issues been addressed in the more recent TG582n firmware versions?

@Avodat,
In summary I believe there are a number of things going on here, however not a single one of them is solely the cause of the issues you are experiencing.  As suggested by npr, it looks as though the disconnections (if they all are associated with router tantrums) are being caused by the sum contribution of a number of marginal issues.
1. Line performance (as reported by the router) is no where near where it ought to be for your line's (reported) attenuation.  However if you are who I think you are, it is performing far faster than the BT estimate of 12Mbps.
2. The router is reporting high levels of errors, however not enough to cause the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) to seek to adjust the line.
Quote from: Adam
Having run the diagnostics and checked the details, it appears that there is no banding in place and the status of the line is actually shown as Green so nothing appear to have kicked in as a result of the dropping connection.

The action proposed by Adam to move the target SNRM to 6dB ought to reduce the levels of errors being seen and managed by the router, however that will be at the sacrifice of some raw synch speed.  Once we have got the link stable though, we can return to this.
3. I suspect that the internal wiring is contributing to the lower than expected synch speed, possibly even some of the errors.  There is no proper NTE5 termination, there are various bits of apparatus prior to the LJU master socket and the bell wire appears to be connected.  For good ADSL operation none of these are ideal, but on its own not the cause of these issues.  Adam, what is the possibility of getting BTOR to bring this installation up to specification FOC without an attributable fault please?  Given the description I'm guess that the installation could be 30+ years old.
4. The line appears to remain stable when the computers are not switched on / used.  Can you please clarify this point - when you are not actively using each computer, are they switched off or just left switched on 'idle'?  The correlation between disconnections and computer use could be down to either electrical interference (REIN) from the computers / power supply or be down to data throughput stress.  The RouterStats graphs should identify if there is REIN present.  If it is a throughput issue, then it is more than likely related to the known issue on other TG routers.
For the immediate investigation can you please...
1. Advise of the firmware version
2. Watch out for disconnections - these could either be experienced or surmised by noting the connectivity duration (uptime) as seen here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0
3. When you observe a disconnection, can you please try to grab the router log (category = all) through the CGI or if you have routerstats up and available, there should be an icon (to the left of the house symbol) which looks like a piece of paper coming out of a printer with a magnifying glass - click the drop down arrow and see if there is a TELNET log option.  This one will provide much more details.
4. When you have time, routerstats graphs would be most useful.
I really do understand that you have other pressing things to do. just get back here when you can and we'll try to move the issue closer to resolution.
Kevin
PS: Looks like there has been another event and Anotherone has responded whilst I've been keyboard bashing - looks like he's also pointing in the direct of telnet...

avodat
Grafter

Anotherone: Yes.  Win 7 64bit  Haven't had toime to do anything with RouterStats, yet 🙂