Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Wi-Fi Router

Username
Grafter

Re: The New Wi-Fi Router

Quote from: Jameseh
we can listen to request when someone is considering recontracting to us for a further 12 months.
I'm considering this - what can you offer in return then?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Jameseh
Whilst we can't edit subscription costs on a monthly contract because someone hasn't taken a wireless router, we can listen to request when someone is considering recontracting to us for a further 12 months.
Me too as the previous 12 month contract has run out  Crazy
James
Grafter

I'm not going to start posting recontracting offers on a public forum Smiley
Feel free to get in touch with me if this is something you would consider doing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just being facetious - I will wait for the next special offer  Grin
maccoylton
Grafter

New router arrived today, in and working  Smiley
Mav
Fixes: 516

Router arrived this morning  Smiley
Will install later.
Thanks
Edit: Before connecting to the new router I have a few questions to ask:
Firstly, the IP address of the SAR modem is 192.168.7.1 and this is connected to my two PCs via artouter switch with the PCs IP addresses set to 192.168.7.2 & 3 respectively. The new router's address is 192.168.7.254. Do I need to change any settings to my home netowrk or will it just work as it is.
Not sure if the SAR has a Firewall but the Thomson has. Should I disable it as I have Zone Alarm running or is there a specific setting that will increase the level of security I already have but still allow all current programs that need to to still connect to the internt?
I will not use the Wireless capability at present as both computers are close to the router. Can the wireless capability be totally turned off rather than have to set encryption even though it won't be used?
Thansk for any help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

All conneceted and working properly although I did have to change some IP address settings in Network Connections and Zone Alarm.
My new stats are:
Down:6784
Up:448
Line att Down:5dB
Line Att Up:2dB
snr Margin Down:15dB
snr Margin Up:23 dB

My previous stas were:
Down:7296
Up:448
Remote Line Att:4.5dB
Local Line Att:2dB
Local SNR Margin:14dB
Remote SNR Margin:25dB

I expect my sync speed will increase over the next few days?
Thanks for any help.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Mav
Not sure if the SAR has a Firewall but the Thomson has. Should I disable it as I have Zone Alarm running or is there a specific setting that will increase the level of security I already have but still allow all current programs that need to to still connect to the internt?

The Router firewall should be left enabled.
I will not use the Wireless capability at present as both computers are close to the router. Can the wireless capability be totally turned off rather than have to set encryption even though it won't be used?

This post gives instructions for disabling wireless on the Thomson TG585v7. However for safety you should leave the wireless set to WPA-PSK even if the wireless is disabled. One less thing to have to bother about if wireless is later enabled again.
David
Mav

Thanks for the help, spraxyt.
Wireless now disabled.
I was assuming that, although I had not set up wireless for my own use, leaving it enabled meant someone else would be able to access it.
Cheers.