cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: When Is An Alleged CE DP-CP Line Fault Not Entirely Genuine ?

mikeb
Rising Star

Re: Q: When Is An Alleged CE DP-CP Line Fault Not Entirely Genuine ?

@Townman  @MatthewWheeler 

There's something *VERY* interesting on the BQM and a link to an image of today's data so far has been added to the ticket. Sorry but I don't want to post this data on a public forum. Please check the ticket.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

@mikeb  I can see the engineer has been out today and has found the fault at the exchange and has been replaced. One of our fault advisor's will be in touch regarding this and also the complaint that's open.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

That’s great news … a fault in the exchange … one can imagine that might have caused some misdirection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikeb
Rising Star

Thank you @ClaudiaG23 

Could/should be good news. However, no response to ticket with full details. No significant improvement observed. No answers to questions various.

Today is the day I spend a large number of PN pounds to facilitate full compliance wirh BT/PN unnecessary/unreasonable demands. My full response is on the ticket. Please read and respond fully. Do not ignore for any longer. Do not leave it until it is too late.

mikeb
Rising Star

Seriously disappointing to see there's still no proper update Sad

It is now unlikely that I will be able to check here or the ticket for some time.

Before anyone says it ... yes, I do realise that it's the weekend, yes, I do understand people do not work 24/7, yes, I know that I'm not the only customer with some problem or other ... but no proper update on Friday as promised and no answers whatsoever to any relevant questions rather suggests intentional delaying tactics being employed again.

This really does appear to have been a known and expected issue not some random fault or totally unforeseen event so is being 'managed' accordingly Sad

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@mikeb So sorry to hear there still hasn't been an update.

I will email the team today to make sure it gets picked up for you. I can imagine this is becoming ever increasingly frustrating for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeb
Rising Star

@csmith94 wrote:

In regard to the phone call, my colleague had left a message on your voicemail/answering phone. 

Thank you @csmith94 and @willcutforth 

Work on this issue in general is still ongoing. Some progress made but lots of still unanswered questions, no evidence of cause, no reasonable explanation and/or no definitive confirmation of resolution to date. Nothing further to add in public at this time. However, I do need to address the comment in the above quoted message:

My answerphone was turned off. In fact it hasn't been turned on for donkey's years but if an incoming call rings for long enough this would normally turn it back on. However, despite BT 1571 not being enabled, incoming calls ringing for a long time still actually get answered by the exchange. I cannot therefore turn my answerphone on remotely thanks to BT and the inability to prevent 1571 service from still picking up any call ringing for a long time. All I can do is choose whether a caller can or cannot leave a message via 1571. I did not want 1571 at all but it apparently cannot be disabled completely !

With regards to what's happened with PN allegedly leaving a message:

1) My answerphone was turned off. It never got turned back on and no message was left by PN staff. The answerphone was still turned off with zero messages stored over a week later.

2) A test call to my landline made a few days ago resulted in the call being answered by BT 1571 service after ringing for a long time. It didn't ring long enough to trigger my answerphone. It is not possible to leave a message via the 1571 service because this facility has always been intentionally disabled.

3) Therefore, if PN did in fact manage to leave a message on an answerphone on 06/05/2024 as is being claimed ... then it most certainly wasn't mine or the BT 1571 service. It must have been left on someone else's answerphone, potentially either illegally connected to my line somewhere or the call was actually made to another line entirely which did have an answerphone attached to it.

Here's hoping that no significant amount of private and/or confidential information has been disclosed to a 3rd party by BT/PN because quite clearly there is something very wrong here. As a consequence, there would now appear to be a data protection issue to investigate and deal with.

mikeb
Rising Star

Still awaiting answers to questions various on the ticket ...

There is one particular request (which has been repeated again and is currently the most recent message) which requires an answer within a couple of hours. Can someone at PN please ensure that a definitive response is provided in a timely manner.

mikeb
Rising Star

Oh dear, yet more urine extraction it would appear Sad

I've been sitting here not more than 2m away from the front door on the agreed day during the advised time window for a BT engineer visit ... and not only have PN failed to confirm the appointment made over the phone in writing despite numerous requests to do so but, needless to say, no engineer has actually materialised.

To say that I'm now even more seriously peed off than I was earlier doesn't come even remotely close to reality I'm afraid.

I think we all probably knew that it would be a complete waste of time and all that but it was BT/PN who insisted on the engineer visit, not me, despite the mass of evidence indicating where the problem was almost certainly located.

Should any of the excuses various that BT/PN are likely to trot out in due course include the old favourite "we tried but there was no answer" or words to that effect, please bear very much in mind that CCTV doesn't tend to tell porkies and all that Wink

G6JPG-0
Grafter

"I can see the engineer has been out today and has found the fault at the exchange and has been replaced."

I hope an engineer who finds faults doesn't get replaced!🙂 (Though can't have engineers finding faults, so maybe s/he has!)

mikeb
Rising Star

@G6JPG-0  you're being *very* naughty ... but I thought exactly the same thing at the time as well :lol:

Just to avoid any misunderstandings, the BT engineer no-show yesterday was a different appointment for a presumably shiny new BT engineer seeing that the previous one had been replaced. Arrangements were made on the phone to PN Monday evening ~1700 hours or thereabouts.

So ... W-T-F is actually going on here ? ... as there's still no answers and/or updates !

In fact it's all looking a bit tumbleweed.gifreally despite all the hoops that I've been forced to jump through.

Is everyone a tad embarrassed (because they most certainly should be) and have therefore gone into hiding ?

mikeb
Rising Star

This is Part One of a whole bunch of data to provide irrefutable documentary evidence of exactly what's been going on here. TBH, I'm somewhat reluctant to post such a mass of detailed information on Lithium due to it being really difficult if not near impossible to compose posts off-line, the limited time window available for editing posts after submission and an inability to remove/redact data once it has served it's purpose. Not to mention all the random strange issues with Lithium and what was probably a DLM instigated router reboot or some other connection issue that's just happened leading to the loss of post data being edited ! However, knowing what was actually happening here may well help any other users who unfortunately find themselves in a similar position in the future. 

What follows is just some of the available data for April when (mostly with hindsight) issue(s) first started to become fairly obvious. As can clearly be seen, the quality of service had been generally degrading somewhat over the month. Someone somewhere was definitely forcing PPP drops which forces a router restart in addition to fiddling around with the wires resulting in loss of Line Synch which forces a router reboot. It seems highly likely that a BT RADIUS server update or decommissioning of some essential network equipment may well have been the final nail in the coffin. It should be noted that PN were party to most if not all of this important data at the time so none of this should be in any way 'news' to them. It's just that a bit more detail and prettier graphs are now available !

This is the BQM data for 29/04/2024

bb monitor 2024-04-29 redacted.gif

Note: Peak time congestion and/or capacity issues. Similar story on some other days over recent weeks. Sometimes just fine. Sometimes better. Sometimes worse. No consistency whatsoever. Performance in general a bit strange at times, not necessarily just during peak hours either but on other seemingly random occasions as well.

This is the BQM data for 30/04/2024

bb monitor 2024-04-30 redacted.gif

Note: Line Synch lost between ~0840 hours and ~0950 hours.
Note: PPP dropped at 1800 hours exactly, give or take a second.

These are the router line stats for April

Attenuation: april attenuation.gif

SNR: april snr.gif

Upload Speed: april upload.gif

Download Speed: april download.gif

NOTE: PPP dropped (Termination Request) 16/04/2024 ~2200 hours
NOTE: SNR spike to 15dB 20/04/2024 between ~1020 and ~1030
NOTE: Intentional manual reboot (due to low SNR) 28/04/2024 0000 hours
NOTE: Line Synch lost 30/04/2024 between ~0840 hours and ~0950 hours.
NOTE: PPP dropped (Termination Request) 30/04/2024 1800 hours
NOTE: No loss of relatively stable Line Synch 30/04/2024 1800 hours
NOTE: PPP could not be reestablished again after 1800 hours 30/04/2024

Bottom line: More termination requests, reboots and line resynchs in one day/month than I've probably seen over several recent months !

Data for May is even more 'interesting' as it clearly shows the complete lack of any apparent effort being put into resolving what was always quite clearly an issue at the exchange end of the line. All the claims of copper faults between pole and property, loss of dial tone (on an analogue line which was definitely in perfect working order as it was being repeatedly used to talk to PN !), a problem with customer's internal wiring or customer's equipment thus necessitating a BT engineer appointment etc was almost certainly all 100% irrelevant misinformation.

I would very strongly suggest that any even remotely plausible excuse to pass the problem back to the customer and introduce a significant delay was simply being grabbed and used/abused with both hands. When stable Line Synch is achieved but PPP cannot be established by more than one modem/router, all of which have worked flawlessly for several years until exactly 1800 hours following equipment/wiring changes at the exchange end earlier in the day ... then it's almost by definition going to be an exchange equipment/wiring issue or an intentional outage until such time that other work has been fully completed ! Any alternative suggestion, despite being vaguely plausible, is going to be almost certainly somewhat more than a tad disingenuous.

For various reasons, I'm not going to add the data for May at this time. It will be added in due course but not before the end of the month at the earliest. Apart from other considerations, this problem is not necessarily all over bar the shouting yet ! There's still plenty of time left for further issues due to the presumably ongoing work at the exchange and thus every possibility of a repeat performance of BT personnel or BT equipment intentionally screwing things up again to the point that much manual intervention is required in order to recover from unannounced planned maintenance and the expected service disruption and/or outage which could if not would occur as a direct result of conducting such work.

mikeb
Rising Star

bb monitor 2024-05-18a redacted.gif

Well Quelle Surprise and all that ... it really didn't take very long at all for Mr.BT to arrange his boobies so that they were both pointing distinctly skywards once again Roll_eyes

Pretty much no usable connectivity since ~0400 hours shortly after that weird glitch when posting the above. However, I rather suspect that this time there's plenty of other customers affected as well. But hey-ho it's probably nothing other than that pesky missing dial tone again ...

Thank you BT, can I have another ? [Bends over in ever hopeful anticipation] 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@mikeb 

You are not alone with that outage see https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/dns-block/td-p/1970427 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Thanks for your patience and I'm sorry you are having an issue with your connection. 

The issue should now be resolved, please can you reboot the router and try to connect. 

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team