cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dns block

kkchs

dns block

Hi it would seem any dns (53) request i make is blocked?

i have restarted everything, and tried various dns servers (google, cloudflare)

but it seems to be everything on port 53 is blocked which is making things a little difficult

37 REPLIES 37
JFrost81

Re: dns block

I'm experiencing an odd outage as well.

All working OK via a VPN on the connection, but standard traffic is suffering.

geoffers
Grafter

Yep ... +Net broadband is down - probably another problem with its DNS servers again

Check outages on downdetector.com
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

All very odd! I'm using Opendns so it's not Plusnets DNS seervers

I can also see the forums to post this...

Seems more like a major routing issue somewhere

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aedwards123

Mine is working again now.

I think it was something downstream broken, a tracert to OpenDNS’s IP got replies from a few addresses then crickets.

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Not to pile in, but I'm seeing the same.

Very strange behaviors - looks to be routing or perhaps DNS. 

Some sites connect, others don't - some but not all DNS requests time out (using 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or local dns etc).

F8Lure reporting from one test originator shows down, the other shows up. 

Interestingly my ZeroTier VPN has worked great throughout apart from the initial blip at 03:50 this morning (ZT came back up within 2 mins). 

VDSL shows no drops, router shows no PPP reconnects. 

Restarted the router and it improved slightly (perhaps placebo effect) but F8Lure still reports the connection as down even though it is partially usable. 

kkchs

Thanks glad to know im not alone

dns seems to be hit and miss but i can add opendns to the list that i could get to misbehave:

dig @208.67.222.222 google.com
;; communications error to 208.67.222.222#53: timed out

; <<>> DiG 9.18.24 <<>> @208.67.222.222 google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; no servers could be reached

currently i'm tunnelling over ssh which is fine as others have indicated.

zpeterk
Grafter

My Think broadband quality monitor stopped responding to pings at 03:50 I use 1.1.1.1 for dns so it is not that.

There has been no drop of connection and still have an IP address but doesn’t work.

Markwallwork0
Grafter

Also down . Down detector is showing a huge increase in issues now . They’ll be aware
Grimaudiere
Hooked

Are they? I hope so …

You get into a bit of a nightmare spiral - the help telephone number only opens at 8 so you cannot contact them via that; the other means is via X … oh but the internet is down so I cannot reach that. Or I can text help at which point they start testing the one bit that I know is working.

I’ve been a happy customer with PlusNet for many years and these type of faults are very rare, but it’s exactly these type of faults where communication becomes difficult. Yet some communication - even if it is “we’re working on it” on changing the message on the phone to “we’re aware of a fault” would be nice ,,,

pleasedonotswea
Hooked

same, spent an hour this morning looking at my own equipment - to conclude some dns trickery at play, 8.8.8.8 works... very slowly, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9 don't work at all

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

@MisterW wrote:

I can also see the forums to post this...

Same here can get to the forums and nothing else.

I'll see if I can get an SSH tunnel to connect 

edit:

can get to google and kagi for search, also  gmail client has started retrieving emails. 

ssh tunnel working once it connected. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
eberus49027

I've just spent the morning checking everything too, good to see its probably not my equipment as I hadn't changed anything for months.

My internet went down yesterday for about 1-2 minutes between 10:30 and 11:00, everything went, since then most things work (TV, Playstation, XBox, internet access etc.) but many websites seem to struggle to load, Google's download speed test just did a download but couldn't upload, most apps on our iPhones don't work, apart from Autotrader (but without pictures) weirdly...

Anyone else having the iPhone apps issue? I've set my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and turned off all firewalls on Plusnet and my router. About to turn them back on again now!

ahnlak

Just adding a "me too" to this; something is seriously broken somewhere - seems like it's *mostly* DNS getting blocked (DNS queries to 8.8.8.8 just timeout, but I can ping it fine). 

There's some other routing issues, but it's hard to tell if that's something related or just the internet being the internet!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

I do not seem to have any issues so far today or overnight, BQM (thinkbroadband graph) has recorded overnight with no breaks

Not missing any access to the regular sites I look at.

EDIT: Is this a general issue for both Fibre and Full Fibre? I am Fibre