Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline after switchoff

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Landline after switchoff

@WorldMachine    where else do you think you would plug the router into?

As already explained, SOGEA is just FTTC without the voice(phone) service, but it still runs over the copper wires to your house which terminate in the phone master socket. This may, or may not have a RJ11 data port for you to sue, but if not a dangly filter should be used.

HTH.

WorldMachine
Grafter

Thank you for clarifying. 

markv
Rising Star

Seems there is no way to stay with PN and keep my landline number (in the future).

BUT, if I transfer my landline number to a VoIP provider now, that will automatically terminate my PN broadband+landline contract.

Stuffed if you do; stuffed if you don't.

Are PN intending to close and fold into BT? I can't see any other way forward for landline customers?

Very confused...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@markv 

You arrange for PN to move you onto a SOGEA connection which cancels your landline.

Your number gets put in quarentine for 30 days to allow for a "port" to a VOIP provider though this should be done ASAP after the SOGEA move to allow for problems. There would be a few days down time on your phone service.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@markv Set up, but don't use, a contract with a VoIP provider of your choice, request a change of provision to SoGEA with PN, and then within 30 days transfer your quarantined landline number to said provider.

John
markv
Rising Star

Many thanks @bmc , and @jab1 , for your super-fast responses,

I hadn't noticed PN were now offering a SOGEA service. That's the way forward...

Regret that PN themselves aren't continuing to offer a phone service, but there we go...

Main downside is losing free calls to other PN subscribers, but that can't be helped.

I'll go and set up an A&A VoIP account and take things from there. Many thanks for your help.

(think I can only credit 1 person for solving my problem...)

Mark

bmc
Hero

@markv 

I know I mentioned A&A but there are others.

Couple of things to mention. With A&A the "port" will probably fail due to the number being not active - A&A systems don't allow for that. A&A support need to contact BT Support (who handle PN numbers) to get a manual transfer done.

Make sure your phone works with VOIP. You'll have no extensions using the BT Master socket as you can't plug your phone in.

Brian

TooManyPies
Grafter

I recently renewed my existing broadband and phone contract for 2 years. The only upgrade option shown was for SOGEA but I explained that I didn't want to lose the landline right now (I'll move it to VOIP at some point). My new contract expires in Nov 2025.  I just called them and asked.

markv
Rising Star

@bmc many thanks for the tip re the A&A port.

Just got a router with built-in VoIP ports for analogue phones (internal ATA I assume) 🙂

Mark

markv
Rising Star

@TooManyPies 

That's an interesting idea. Instead of jumping to VoIP ASAP, perhaps delay as long as possible!

I'll give that soem serious thought...

thanks.

Mark

bmc
Hero

@markv 

Just make sure your PN internet changes to SOGEA before you attempt to port the number. A landline port closes your account and you lose any add ons you may have like e-mail.

Brian