cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upload speed

AxeMurderer
Grafter

Re: Fibre upload speed

Gary, if 40Gb/month would be enough for you, you could ditch the Extra, and retain Pro to avoid most of the traffic management/shaping. Of course you'll then want to add 10Mb upload when that becomes available at whatever that turns out to cost.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Sorry, not really Smiley I would have already if I were able to.

Thanks, Adam.  I'm sorry to push on this, but do you think you might discuss this internally with a view to making an announcement? 
I've been reading around threads here and elsewhere and there are a lot of people disappointed by not being able to get 10Mb, and this must surely be losing customers for you -- both current ones who go to a 10Mb service elsewhere, and new ones who choose a different provider because the headline figures are better (and since people have a tendency to focus on headline figures, this will include customers who don't really understand the numbers and thus people who some forum posters have suggested wouldn't need 10Mb or notice the difference from 2Mb anyway).
Whilst I don't doubt you when you say that 10Mb is coming, the problem I have is that I'm likely to want to switch to fibre in the next few weeks (BT is showing as available from the end of September), and your contracts are for 18 months.  10Mb is important to me, and I don't feel comfortable signing up to an 18 month deal without at least some indication of when the product will become what I need -- i.e. when it will provide a 10Mb service.
It's particularly frustrating to be in this situation when it's clear from forum posts -- and even the FAQ page -- that customers who moved to fibre through the trail already have 10Mb, so you obviously have the facility to provision this somehow.  I would certainly have been on the trial had my exchange been enabled sooner.
Whilst I appreciate that you may need to do some work behind the scenes before this can be offered as an add-on that's EU-selectable through the Member Centre, it seems to me that you could save yourselves a lot of hassle (and, more imortantly, customers!) by offering increased upload speeds to those who ask and processing these manually for now -- just like you do with uncapping upload speeds on ADSL2+.
Quote from: AxeMurderer
Gary, if 40Gb/month would be enough for you, you could ditch the Extra, and retain Pro to avoid most of the traffic management/shaping. Of course you'll then want to add 10Mb upload when that becomes available at whatever that turns out to cost.

I'm not sure whether or not 40Gb would be enough -- especially given that the service is faster.  I can't find a comparison table of the difference between Value and Extra on fibre.  Is there one?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks, Adam.  I'm sorry to push on this, but do you think you might discuss this internally with a view to making an announcement? 

No, as mentioned there's nothing further I could tell you at this stage, it's already been discussed. Final answer I'm afraid.

've been reading around threads here and elsewhere and there are a lot of people disappointed by not being able to get 10Mb, and this must surely be losing customers for you -- both current ones who go to a 10Mb service elsewhere, and new ones who choose a different provider because the headline figures are better (and since people have a tendency to focus on headline figures, this will include customers who don't really understand the numbers and thus people who some forum posters have suggested wouldn't need 10Mb or notice the difference from 2Mb anyway).

I know, we try and read as many threads as we can so don't worry we do have an awareness of this and this is why we're making plans to run with 10mb upstream on FTTC as soon as we can.
Whilst I don't doubt you when you say that 10Mb is coming, the problem I have is that I'm likely to want to switch to fibre in the next few weeks (BT is showing as available from the end of September), and your contracts are for 18 months.  10Mb is important to me, and I don't feel comfortable signing up to an 18 month deal without at least some indication of when the product will become what I need -- i.e. when it will provide a 10Mb service.

I know this must be frustrating but I can't force any changes through because of your individual issue. I am sympathetic and this is on the way as mentioned.
Whilst I appreciate that you may need to do some work behind the scenes before this can be offered as an add-on that's EU-selectable through the Member Centre, it seems to me that you could save yourselves a lot of hassle (and, more imortantly, customers!) by offering increased upload speeds to those who ask and processing these manually for now -- just like you do with uncapping upload speeds on ADSL2+.

The work behind the scenes is done and as I mentioned yesterday a system issue is the only thing that stands in the way of us going ahead with this. I'll continue to keep you posted which is the best I can do for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mwerle
Grafter

Quote from: garywood84
I'm not sure whether or not 40Gb would be enough -- especially given that the service is faster.  I can't find a comparison table of the difference between Value and Extra on fibre.  Is there one?

The "Value" product has worse shaped traffic speeds during peak hours - so you'd definitely want the "pro" add-on for that:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Not sure if there are any other differences apart from the download cap.

Seconded, pretty please.  I've always uncapped my ADSL products as soon as I was made aware of the option that I could!

Cheers,
- Micha.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I always find this is easier to use for a product comparison http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks for replying again, Adam.  I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this, because whilst of course I'm disappointed by PlusNet's position on this, it's great that you're open to discussion with customers and do seem to be taking notice of the feedback you're receiving, albeit not as quickly as some of us might like.  I don't know of many other companies who really take any notice of their customers and this is one of the reasons I don't want to leave PlusNet.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

I know this must be frustrating but I can't force any changes through because of your individual issue. I am sympathetic and this is on the way as mentioned.

It's perfectly understandable that you can't make exceptions, but to be clear, that wasn't what I was asking you to do.  My suggestion was that you offer 10Mb to ALL customers on an opt-in basis like uncapping ADSL2+ uploads, and there's nothing individual about this request, as you acknowledge in saying that you're aware of the posts from other customers here and elsewhere.

Anyway, I guess it's just going to be a case of waiting on this.  In the meantime, does anyone know if there have been cases of fibre cabinets reaching capacity so that no further users can be provisioned on fibre?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that each cabinet can support a maximum of around 280 users, but I can't remember where, so this may be incorrect.  This is an important consideration for me at the moment, because I don't want to miss out on fibre altogether in the medium-longer term, but I'm now becoming inclined not to jump in at launch but to wait until PlusNet has sorted this upload issue.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm guessing the issue Plusnet have is billing the extra cost. If it's going to be say £3 extra per month, would those wanting the higher upload speed be prepared to make a one off up-front payment of £54 to cover the 18 month contract period? If so that would surely be a route by which Plusnet could offer it now using the same configuration as the trialists who have 10Mb already and with no implications on the monthly billing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
garywood84
Rising Star

jelv,
I don't see why it would need to be billed up front, rather than as an additional monthly charge, and I think a more important question is whether customers will pay extra at all.  The answer to that really depends on how much extra we're talking about, so it's an unknown at the moment.  The interesting thing is that BT will charge PlusNet to regrade upload speeds, if posts on other forums can be believed.  So, for those people ilke me who are considering switching to fibre, if we do this before PlusNet makes the 10Mb service available, there's an additional cost for regarding from 2Mb to 10Mb that will need to be covered from somewhere.  This is another reason why I struggle to understand PlusNet's choice not to be flexible over this and offer 10Mb to customers who request it from the outset, on the same basis as uncapped uploads on ADSL2.
I've been looking at the product comparison tools given in earlier replies in this thread, and as far as I can see, there's little difference other than the data limits between Value and Extra Fibre, once you add Pro.  The thing is 40Gb Value is below what most people are used to on the ADSL2 Extra package where they get 60Gb.  I wonder if one compromise here might be to have an "Upload Pro" add on that's only available to Extra Fibre customers.  It could be free of charge, and PlusNet could cover the cost of it by reducing the data limit to 80Gb, i.e.
PlusNet Extra Fibre Pro - £26.49, including 120Gb limit and 2Mb upload
PlusNet Extra Fibre Upload Pro - £26.49 including 80Gb limit and 10Mb upload.
I know there's an argument for making products as clear and simple to understand as possible, but I don't think this would be overly complex, especially if it is offered as an add-on and advertised as such, on the basis that you can trade some of your download limit for faster uploads.  If it's an add-on, less technically-minded customers wouldn't need to concern themselves with it, and the two headline packages PlusNet is offering could continue to be advertised as they are now.
Of course, we don't knww the detailed costs to be absolutely certain that this suggestion is commercially viable, but given that the only real difference between Value and Extra is the amount of data included, and considering the price difference between these two packages, it seems reasonable to think that a 40Gb reduction in the data limit would (probably more than) cover the £1.20 Plusnet is charged by BT for the 10Mb upoad.
itsme
Grafter

Openreach charge £10 to upgrade from 2 to 10mbps and it's an addition 60p per month rental.
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=yzq%2FQaGYa3hV...
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Openreach charge £10 to upgrade from 2 to 10mbps and it's an addition 60p per month rental.

Well, that's even better!  The £10 is a one-off cost, and I certainly wouldn't have an issue with covering this myself, as I'm sure would be the case for most if not all customers who want to upgrade to 10Mb.  The 60p per month is half of what I'd read it was elsewhere, so even allowing for any VAT charges, it might mean that even just a 20Gb drop in usage cap is necessary to compensate for the additional cost.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't see why it would need to be billed up front, rather than as an additional monthly charge

Because an additional monthly charge means making it an add-on, meaning changes to the portal and to the billing process - all in all not a trivial bit of work so likely to be weeks if not months.
A one off-charge and a manual order could probably be done today with no system changes. The question was if it's that important would you be prepared to pay up front.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
Because an additional monthly charge means making it an add-on, meaning changes to the portal and to the billing process - all in all not a trivial bit of work so likely to be weeks if not months.

But there are already add-ons, so it shouldn't be that significant a system change, I wouldn't have thought.  It's not like they have to build a new billing system to handle add-ons, it's just a case of adding another add-on to the catalogue.
A one off-charge and a manual order could probably be done today with no system changes. The question was if it's that important would you be prepared to pay up front.

I'd have no problem with the principle of paying up front.  But, I still question whether paying separately for this really is the only answer, and whether it's a competitive option for PlusNet to be offering.  We're talking about a very small charge from BT for this, and I'd like to see PlusNet consider other options like those I've posted above such as offering the increased upload speed in exchange for some of the inclusive data limit, or simply making it a part of Fibre Extra, which it's already doing for those people who took up fibre through the trial.
garywood84
Rising Star

In the meantime, does anyone know if there have been cases of fibre cabinets reaching capacity so that no further users can be provisioned on fibre?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that each cabinet can support a maximum of around 280 users, but I can't remember where, so this may be incorrect.  This is an important consideration for me at the moment, because I don't want to miss out on fibre altogether in the medium-longer term, but I'm now becoming inclined not to jump in at launch but to wait until PlusNet has sorted this upload issue.

Anyone?
knowdice
Rising Star

The suggestion is that there are two sizes of FTTC cabinet - large 288 users, small 128 users.
So, certainly there will not be enough resources in a single FTTC cabinet to service all of the telephone subscribers that are terminated in the associated PSTN roadside cabinet.
We have a large FTTC cabinet that is across the road from the existing PSTN cabinet and when I had FTTC installed the engineer commented that there were only 200 pairs wired across i.e. 100 FTTC users. 
mwerle
Grafter

Considering there's no other options as of right now, yes, I'd be prepared to pay, depending on what the upfront charge would be.  Who can I talk to to get this arranged?
Thanks,
- Micha.