cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre not reaching minimum speed

Snarf
Grafter

Fibre not reaching minimum speed

I'm struggling to get my fibre to meet the minimum speeds. I've tried resetting the router, I've ensured no other devices are being used but I'm still not getting close.

I get the following error trying to do BT's advanced test:
Summary Advanced Test
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

I don't have a PC to connect directly to the router to properly test the speed.

I've tried to contact the automated text line but every time get told it can't find an account attached to the mobile number (even after I tried changing it).
What next steps can I take?
16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Fibre not reaching minimum speed

@Snarf What is your minimum speed, which Hub have you got, and what are you using as a speed test device?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

I get the following error trying to do BT's advanced test:
Summary Advanced Test
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Please do not get side tracked by this error message, along with many I have been seeing it for sometime now (well over 12 months) and is not an indication of a fault with your connection but with the speedtest additional diagnostics.

As @jab1 says an indication of your expect connection would be helpful.

There appears to be some sort of outage overnight see thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/dns-block/td-p/1970427 

Snarf
Grafter

Guaranteed minimum speed is 54.6Mb, I was getting mid 20s last night, rebooted the router and was getting low 40s. It's the Hub One I think? I'll test it again this morning when I'm home.

I used speedtest.net, BT's checker too. Same results.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 98

Hiya @Snarf 

I'm sorry you are having an issue with your speeds and for the hassle this will be causing you. 

If the speed is still low on a wireless connection when you test it, can you log into the router and get the sync speed from it?  This will help us with our investigations.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Snarf
Grafter

Hi Sammy,

See attached.

By the way, I've tried rebooting, I've tried different filters but the noise margin and attenuation are always pretty similar.
jab1
Legend

@Snarf an you post your event log please? I'm guessing you are having xDSL drops, from the data, although your connection speed appears to be holding up well.

John
Snarf
Grafter

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that. However, because you have devices going on and off, it is not quite what I needed. Can you just select category 'WAN' from the drop-down and post the result from that, please?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

However, because you have devices going on and off,

That in itself indicates a problem. They're all wifi devices and to be disconnecting/reconnecting at that rate would tend to indicate a wireless signal strength issue.

I'd suggest using a wifi analyser to check for interference from adjacent network and try changing the wireless channel to e better one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@MisterW 

It is worth noting the Hub has been running for around 20 minutes looking at the event timed at 13:33:01

jab1
Legend

Agreed, @MisterW , but unless the OP is turning the Hub on and off, the short uptime is a matter for concern?

John
jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

@MisterW 

It is worth noting the Hub has been running for around 20 minutes looking at the event timed at 13:33:01

The screen shot in reply #6 says the xDSL connection has only been up ~2 hours - might be interesting to see if it is a regular occurrence, although the data rates seem to suggest it may not be. I agree that it could well be a WiFi issue, but just covering all bases.😀

John
Snarf
Grafter

WAN log attached.

I had been turning the hub on and off as I'd been testing different filters.

jab1
Legend

Fair enough @Snarf , I was just concerned over the short uptime, but as others have said, it does appear to be a Wi-Fi issue, as your Hub is getting the maximum speed. I'll leave it to the experts to suggest your next steps.

John