cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installation without a master socket

steroberts89

FTTC installation without a master socket

I'm getting my account upgraded to fibre, now the property it is getting installed at doesn't have a master phone socket,
Instead it has a round black box which then gets split out to the other extensions, does anybody know what the BT engineer will do? will he change the set-up to allow for a master socket?
because as far as I know with fttc the master socket contains the filter and the extra extensions no longer require a filter.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC installation without a master socket

The obvious (and probably incorrect) answer is to replace the round black box with a new master socket and connect the extensions to the removable front plate (I assume that there is one)
Now the potential fly in the ointment there is if the round box is in a totally unsuitable place for the router connection and then it would get a lot more tricky
itsme
Grafter

One of the extension socket is probably a master socket but not a 2 part.
Here are all the connection boxs BT have used http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm
and here all the line jacks including the single part master sockets http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/line_jacks.htm
steroberts89

Ah cheers for your replies! if they just replaced the black block that could work (its rated for external but its located inside)
External Block Terminal No.18
Year: 1971

and something like VJU2/2A PABX Master IDC
(I'm not there at the minute so i cannot confirm but)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have no idea what the engineer will do but given the black box is inside your house and all the telephone extensions are fed from it then surely the logical thing to do is to replace it with a Master Socket.  Your VDSL signal is terminated at the Master Socket so this needs to be within reach of a power point so there is somewhere to plug your modem/router into. 
prichardson
Grafter

Based on the details of the order and what you are seeing, the engineer should install a new master socket for you.
It may not be strictly installed where you want it, though if the extension kit has been requested, this should then go in to fit your needs on where things should be positioned.
kingkobra
Grafter

I have a similar problem (ie no master socket).
We don't use any of the extensions in the house, so im hoping the the engineer will be willing to put the master socket in the upstairs bedroom where the router will be, as the BT cable runs down the wall right outside the bedroom. This will be less work than routing a data extension around the house imo.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well no promises (I'm not the engineer etc) but the application of tea and biscuits can work wonders Smiley