Did you mean: 

Constant disconnections

FIXED
richardt
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Constant disconnections

Did a bit more testing this morning.

Main TV which was connected via WiFi failed to load any streaming apps.  Switched over to wired via a power line adapter.  Disney loaded fine (thankfully as my toddler is getting withdrawal symptoms), Netflix was patchy as the the thumbnails didn't finish loading but could stream albeit with a very long load time.  YouTube wasn't playing ball at all (thankfully as if I watch another slime video I'll lose my sanity).

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

With the Hub Two the smart wireless channel selection is not really that smart, it (the hub)  will automatically choose the best channel available for where the Hub two is connected. This is not necessarily the best channel for all parts of the house as signals from adjacent routes might provide a stronger signal for your devices chosen location.

This issue is seen mainly on 2.4GHz as the signal as the range is better, 5GHz signal is attenuated by obstacles.

So the Wi-Fi analyser needs to used at the location of the device/devices which are having the issue/issues as the transmitted channel might not be the best where they are located.

What is device TSTAT-1ED277, checking the log for 29th April can not maintain a connection on 2.4GHz for an extended period

17:57:58, 29 Apr. 2.4G Client associate from e8:e8:b7:1e:d2:77 (IP=192.168.1.236) RSSI=-75, Rate=65Mbps, host TSTAT-1ED277

RSSI= (Received Signal Strength Indicator) s the signal strength of the devices connection

For a strong signal you would expect RSSI=-40 anything up to RSSI=-70  (-40 to -70) would be the norm, RSSI below -75 would be a weaker signal, but not necessarily an issue

It is worth noting the RSSI reading is variable, the Hub only reports the connecting level not the real time level, you would need to check the device.

Most device appear to be 2.4GHz I only see 3 5GHz devices

Which powerline adapters and wireless extension plugs are you using? 

Have you tested your broadband speed, wired at the Hub and wireless near to the Hub?

A more recent event log would be handy see the latest

EDIT: what is your property type (semi, detached) high density dwellings 

richardt
Grafter

Hi thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate everyone's input on this I know it's not your day job, so thank you.

My property is an old end of terrace with relatively thick walls, however I haven't had any issues in the previous 8 years I've lived here, even with the WiFi extenders everything worked fine.  I haven't introduced any new devices either, this all started on Sunday 28th.

TSTAT-1ED277 is a wireless thermostat which controls the underfloor heating, this was installed 4 years ago - I did notice it had lots of entries in the event log so turned that off on Sunday to see if that was the issue but it made no difference.

I did have 5ghz turned off on the router due to no real need for fast speeds and 2.4G being more than adequate for what I needed but recently turned it on in the last few weeks.  

All the TV's are positioned in good range of the main router and don't connect to any wifi extenders - its strange that all of them have periodic wifi issues since Sunday.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Hi thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate everyone's input on this I know it's not your day job, so thank you.

Thanks for the thanks, being retired I do not have a day job, so I fill some of my day up here, but not all day!

Wireless reception can be a fickle, as most have experienced this with mobile phone signals

It might worth turning off the 5GHz wireless again, this will prevent your devices being tempted to connect to it as they share the same wireless name. Be interesting if this cures your issue/

richardt
Grafter

Fix
Sorted! So I called Plusnet technical and ran through all the testing I did last night.

Turns out I had two connections coming in, a static IP and a dynamic. I can’t remember ever having a static IP address. Anyway. The chap was most helpful and identified the issue straight away, within 10 mins the static IP was killed and everything is back to normal. I’m not sure why this reared its head in Sunday, but it’s fixed now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My toddler is now streaming Peppa Pig and my sanity levels are recovering. Small things!
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for the update, an unusual issue and not obvious from the event log. Be interesting how the second IP Address was assigned to your account.

Anyway it's fixed now which is good.

richardt
Grafter

So according to the chap on the phone it was something dating back to 2015, I can't remember ever requesting a static IP address.  

One thing which is likely to have caused it as it coincided with my internet problems - my parents were having disconnections (Plusnet customer also) they were using an old BT hub 2 from years back so I swapped it out for an old BT Hub 6 I had been using for my Plusnet connection up until last year. I did a factory reset on the router then changed the login credentials on the router to their username and password.  Plusnet could tell that a connection coming from my parents postcode also had my username and their username assigned to the connection.  I know 100% I didn't connect my old router to their phone line until I had reconfigured it with their credentials.

They now have a Plusnet Hub 2, my username cleared from their connection and it seems to be stable.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

I think it unlikely that there were two IP connections to your router - that would imply two concurrent PPP sessions, which I do not think is possible.

However, if you have passed on a Plusnet router to another party WITHOUT telling Plusnet then you are at risk of having two PPP sessions associated with your account.  One having a fixed IP address will router you through the high-touch network, the one with the dynamic IP address will connect on the low touch network.

Whilst it is possible to set some other username into a pass-on Plusnet router, if that router is connected to the Plusnet network and it ever has a hard reset (or the account password is changed), if will reconfigure with the account settings of the 'owning' account.  It would seem likely that your parent have been running on your account since whenever.

If it has not been done already, there needs to be a request raised to transfer the serial number of the passed on router from your account to that of your parents.  One should never pass on a Plusnet router to another Plusnet user without advising Plusnet of the same, so that the serial number (as a minimum) is removed from your account in the automatic remote configuration system.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

richardt
Grafter

Hi, thanks, no it was a BT router I give them not a Plusnet one and only swapped it out on Sunday, I originally got it from BT as I'm not sure Plusnet were keen on giving me a new router when I moved house and needed something a bit better than one of the early ones I had.

My parents have a brand new Hub 2 issued to them by Plusnet yesterday so everything should be good!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  I agree with your diagnosis, I didn't buy Plusnet's explanation of two connections to the router, and dating back to 2015 seemed unlikely. Is that was true why has the the problem surfaced recently.

@richardt I suggest that all your problems were caused by giving your router to your parents, I believe they now have had a new router from Plusnet which will be correctly assigned to the configuration system so you need to ensure they are using that new router.

Edit; From your latest post if it was a BT Hub your gave to your parents it must have had your Plusnet login details in it.

Its all academic now as things are working correctly