Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get an extra line?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Can i get an extra line?

That is a factor completely dependent on Openreach resourcing, and something we have no control over.
That being said, I had a Kelly engineer come for my installation both when I signed up, and when I moved house.
Both times they were actually fantastic.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

When I have FTTC installed last february the bt openreach engineer (he is a proper BT) and he had showed me his tool kit of maximum line rate from cabinet to my house is 113Mb down and 42Mb up and removed the old master socket and replaced a brand new socket. But, my parents have FTTC installed last month and it was by Kelly and they never show them the tool kit and didn't replaced a new socket. I prefer Openreach in my trust matter than Kelly.
MickHowes1
Grafter

so can a PN staff please clarify.. if i get an extra line installed.. will both lines be at 6 meg? and if 1 person on 1 line is using wifi etc it wont affect the other line what so ever? im on adsl btw. not fttc.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The activity on one line should not affect the other. When it comes to wifi you'll probably need to make sure they are using different channels.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MickHowes1,
Just to clarify, speeds will be dependant on the normal estimates you would see for your current line when running an address check here. You should expect to see a similar speed to that of your current line based on the distance from the exchange equipment however there will always be the factor for the quality of the copper, This could see the speeds dip below the 6mbps you see on the currently active line although there are equal chances to see the same or better speeds than you see now.
Speaking from experience, I see around a 1-2mbps difference in speeds on my two lines and the one that performs slightly better is the newer line although the estimates were the same when checking the link above.