Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

nadger
Rising Star

Re: VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

Quote from: thisoldman
I told an accountant tt member  what bob said  ie that the plusnet model is based on people not using their allocated  monthly usage amount and   .....i can still hear him laughing
It's always been the case that ISPs rely on a large percentage of customers not using their full monthly allowance.
A close friend was a director of another ISP for many years and, through a support forum I helped found, and meetings I had with other directors I saw the usage spread sheets and Plusnet's business model would be no different.
Why is it that people keeping bringing the elderly into the equation in an attempt to strengthen a weak argument. There are a lot of elderly forum members and I'd bet that the majority have very solid finances.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I can go in to my local bank and they have a machine, I can pay bills and know that most will get the money the same day  (it didnt work with Lloyds Amex though),transfer between accounts, get cash out, pay cash in - coins go down a chute and you get a print out, no commission unlike the ones in supermarkets.  And no worry about internet hacking
I pay my credit cards off very close to the 30 odd free days, and it shows up on the account as fast deposit.
Went into The Durham City main branch in the City Centre, sorry branch to small, you will have to que up for a cashier.
Is that why Sheffield are also so slow handling money?
Santiago
Grafter

I heard a rumour that plusnet have engaged Mr Michael O'Leary as a consultant to advise on screwing as much as you can from the customer while minimising expenditure on the service given improving profit
It seems another of his proposals will be that we have to stand up to use plusnet broadband and send plusnet a pound every time we go for a pee.
*just saying
ritz
Grafter

I just called Customer Service. I wanted to clarify when I can get the NEW Talk Anytime activated, if I request the upgrade now (currently on Talk Evenings& W/Es).
Customer support says from tomorrow. He was not fully aware of the smallprint of the changes, which he had to read through now. He also asked and confirmed with his line manager, while I was put on hold.
I cannot believe this is true and it contradicts with things said in this thread and with the offer starting page here:
https://www.plus.net/specialoffer/wlr2010Anytime/?WT.mc_id=ec_int_201011_VAT1&link=offer
Bottom line: I am billed on the 24th each month. I want to know by which date I can ask for the upgrade to the NEW Talk Anytime and when it will be activated in my case. I understand that it will cost me:
Line rental - £11.99
New Talk Anytime - £3.50 / month
Offer - First 3 months free.
Bob, can you clarify once again the above please, and why am I getting potentially confusing info from Support?
Thanks.
Rits.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I've signed up today for the New Talk Anytime offer from the link in my email for 3 free months.    As I understand it will commence on my first billing period after Jan 4th, which in my case is January 21st.      I assume until then I'll be on Evenings and Weekends and my free 300 minutes of International calls to the Top 20 Destinations will continue until that date.  Am I correct?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

ISPreview now have a piece on this
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/12/07/plusnet-adjustment-could-lead-to-higher-uk-phone-charges...
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Costergrotto  if you use the 300 min International, I would have thought you would be better off in signing for the Old package before Jan 4th, that will keep the international for just £1.50, in my case I rarely use the International
Aggrieved

I recently had my first bill after having changed my homephone to PlusNet. I left BT after 25 years because the sneakily made a change to the hours for free calls from 6 to 7pm, hiding the info on the back of a letter announcing "good news". Now PlusNet has done the same - I made the change over the phone (a change that cost me a £26 charge from BT for breaking my contract) and the guy dealing with my call didnt pass this info on to me
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: A
Will they also repair your credit rating etc?

If you're talking about what would happen in the event of us taking a payment in error then no, I doubt we could do anything to repair your credit rating - in exactly the same way we couldn't if the same thing happened with a card payment. I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're getting at with this one if I'm honest so hopefully I've understood correctly? Huh
Quote from: Oddball
Quote from: Bob
The situation has been handled as was intended, so from a project perspective Jamie has no cause for concern (or any need to apologise).
Absolutely correct, no need for concern or apologies, it's just business, right? Housekeeping.
Of course the loss of some customers due to the "situation" will have been accounted for and deemed insignificant compared to the new customers signing up. Other existing customers will not like the change but will remain because it easier than changing... devil you know!

Yes, a certain degree of churn will have been anticipated, however in the case of Unlimited the vast majority stand to benefit from a product change. The £1.50 credit card processing charge can also be avoided by moving to Direct Debit.
Quote from: Oddball
I'd like to think that most people understood the messaging though given the relatively few people that have posted to this thread.

That is an interesting comment Bob.
Only a small percentage of your customers use this forum and even less people are frequent contributors.You seem to be assuming that there is little resistance to the changes you are making because of relatively small number of people commenting here.

I didn't say there was little resistance, however the communication we sent out was quite particular in pointing customers to this specific thread if they were unsure about anything. I would expect most customers to contact us via the official support channels if they have problems/concerns and that's something we're keeping an eye on too. I think you've taken my comment the wrong way, it was intended as a response to any suggestion that Jamie should be apologising for the way the emails were written/customers were notified.
Most people will be aware of the VAT rise but many of your customers will be unaware of these other changes in pricing and T&C.

I've tried to make all of the changes as clear as possible in the accompanying FAQ I wrote.
The people who will react to these changes are not your new customers. they won't care necessarily. The people who are reacting are mostly your longer standing customers, they seem to be the victims in plusnets strategy to win customers, it seems, at any cost.

With the obvious exception of Unlimited everybody seems to be completely neglecting the fact that we haven't increased broadband subs on residential accounts? This applies to the vast majority of customers.
Quote from: thisoldman
What people are forgetting is that many customers on the value package, whom i assume are eldery and not well endowned financially face a hike of 25% on their costs.

It's certainly a minority that would find themselves in this situation. As I've mentioned elsewhere, a good 85% or so of the customer base are Direct Debit payers. I'd warrant a guess that the percentage is higher for Value customers too. In addition to this the £1.50 can easily be avoided by switching to Direct Debit. We've also frozen broadband prices for Value customers.
Quote from: VinylLover
I apologise if I have missed it but I still haven't seen an answer to the question a number of people have asked -"what is PN's justification for increasing the Unlimited package by £5/month?"

I don't think it'll come as a surprise to people when I say that it's not one of our most profitable products, even if the majority are more suited to an Extra profile! Wink Usage is on the up (an ever increasing trend), and we've frozen everything else so have to make accommodations somewhere. Whilst the price hike is above the increase in VAT, the commercials will have been thought out thoroughly. There's some respite in the fact that the majority can avoid the hike by moving to Extra.
Quote from: ITWorks
ISPreview now have a piece on this
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/12/07/plusnet-adjustment-could-lead-to-higher-uk-phone-charges...

I noticed they neglected to mention that we'd frozen most broadband prices too (until I commented that is) Roll_eyes
Quote from: ritz
Bottom line: I am billed on the 24th each month. I want to know by which date I can ask for the upgrade to the NEW Talk Anytime and when it will be activated in my case. I understand that it will cost me:
Line rental - £11.99
New Talk Anytime - £3.50 / month
Offer - First 3 months free.
Bob, can you clarify once again the above please, and why am I getting potentially confusing info from Support?

First billing date after the 4th as per the information on the page where you register your interest. I'll have a word with the person you spoke to to make sure they don't make the same mistake again.
Quote from: coastergrotto
I've signed up today for the New Talk Anytime offer from the link in my email for 3 free months.    As I understand it will commence on my first billing period after Jan 4th, which in my case is January 21st.      I assume until then I'll be on Evenings and Weekends and my free 300 minutes of International calls to the Top 20 Destinations will continue until that date.  Am I correct?

You'll lose the international minutes on the 4th January, but you will still be on Evenings & Weekends until the date of the account change.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Aggrieved
I recently had my first bill after having changed my homephone to PlusNet. I left BT after 25 years because the sneakily made a change to the hours for free calls from 6 to 7pm, hiding the info on the back of a letter announcing "good news". Now PlusNet has done the same - I made the change over the phone (a change that cost me a £26 charge from BT for breaking my contract) and the guy dealing with my call didnt pass this info on to me

When did you make the change?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Bob for the clarification.
@pierre_pierre:
Like you I am only an occasional user of International and basically only use it because it was free.      I gave this some considerable thought, but I only ring one International number which is a Canadian mobile.   I can ring that on a Vodafone PAYG mobile with an International Bolt on for 5p per minute
Furthermore I can use Windows Live Messenger and speak, and view them on their web cam, for nothing, so it's really not worth the extra £1.50 per month to me.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

With the obvious exception of Unlimited everybody seems to be completely neglecting the fact that we haven't increased broadband subs on residential accounts? This applies to the vast majority of customers.

I think every one get this as it has been mentioned a few times in this thread :), whilst the vat saving you are giving the customers rangers from 11 to 43 pence depending on product type and market area, PN are more than getting this back by increase the phone line charge by 50 pence or so and giving customer less if on eve and weekend!!.
I noticed they neglected to mention that we'd frozen most broadband prices too (until I commented that is) Roll_eyes

I see you have neglected to point out the price rise for unlimited on your post at ISPreview? (£5)  Roll_eyes

Sorry my bad i see this was mentioned by ISPreview in the original post
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Oldjim
Bob,
Here is the screen print with the errors marked - my present phone charge isn't zero, I am not on PAYG Standard and that isn't my old monthly cost or my new monthly cost
The line rental won't be £11.25 on the new package it will be £11.99
Actually the only parts which are correct are the old product line rental and the new Talk Anytime price.
Not a good example of quality control is it

Jim, can you check this again as I've been unable to replicate the problem this morning? We did roll out some code changes and I'm wondering if it's inadvertently fixed whatever was causing the problem?
Quote from: David
Just went to upgrade and, yeah, it told me the line rental would be £22.50/month!

Again, can you give things another go David?
Quote from: ITWorks

I see you have neglected to point out the price rise for unlimited on your post at ISPreview? (£5)  Roll_eyes

It's already mentioned in the main article, so I didn't see the point in doing so.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Partially fixed but not entirely
fishrow
Grafter

It's certainly a minority that would find themselves in this situation. As I've mentioned elsewhere, a good 85% or so of the customer base are Direct Debit payers. I'd warrant a guess that the percentage is higher for Value customers too. In addition to this the £1.50 can easily be avoided by switching to Direct Debit. We've also frozen broadband prices for Value customers.

And 85% is what in customer numbers?Huh
And what is the profit part of the £1.50 because we doubt that even 50p is anywhere near the actual cost there _might_ be to process payment by Credit Card.
And consider this: if the customers you want to rip off all changed over to DD then you lose that money. If you then don't increase charges it shows that you didn't need the income on the first place.