Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Good honest broadband from Yorkshire: So whats this price increase?

Quote from: okrzynska
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: okrzynska
Bob, Thank you for not calling us back today as requested via Ross K on Friday. It was really nice not to hear from you. For a communications company you've got a lot of learning to do haven't you. It's good to know you care for your customers.

I must admit to having absolutely no idea what you're referring to Huh Nobody has asked me to call you back, and even if they had I'm not particularly sure I could have added anything further to what you've already been advised.

You'd best ask Ross then. Clearly you're not communicating internally very well and for a communications company you should be experts.

Chris *did* speak to Ross about this earlier in the week and from what I can gather he didn't offer you any assurances that I would be calling you back? I obviously wasn't party to the conversation though so I'm not going to get into an argument about it.
I note that you don't deny the emails structure to be misleading.

You'll have also noted in which case, that I didn't say the email structure *was* misleading ? Wink
I agree with what some of you are saying to a certain degree, however I can also see why our Marketing department elected to write the email as they did. Personally, the subject line of the email would make me read the content in it's entirety. Judging from some of the posts here though, there are a few that didn't. I'll make sure the feedback is passed on to the folks that wrote the email.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: VAT Increase & Price Changes - January 2011

What the hell were marketing doing writing an email informing existing customers about changes to their accounts? Angry Angry Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Because it's kinda part of their job jelv Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Well somebody needs to have a think about whether they are the right people to be doing emails of that nature. The primary responsibility and final authorisation on these emails should be with legal/accounts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: jelv
What the hell were marketing doing writing an email informing existing customers about changes to their accounts? Angry Angry Angry

Very good question and now that Bob has told us who is responsible for this email I can see why it came out half garbled like it did.
Bob, you can't communicate to customers through adverts and marketing campaigns. Thats not the way it works. People switch off when looking at adverts which are rammed in their face. I am glad that you've at least said you will relay this feedback but frankly Bob it's not good enough because it should never of happened in the first place.
Jelv has already posted a good structure for an email further up and frankly, when you're going to be increasing someones payments he is correct - that is ideally the way it should be - Clear, concise and to the point. Not drowning in marketing junk which switches most folk from human to zombie in 4 seconds.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
sniperkona

your right there,l got done by continuing to think l had 300mins international calls until the bill came!!!! even just in the email header, mentioning prices hike then you would look at it properly,this day and age how much rubbish do you get in your inbox from sky ect,they all look the same, i have not got the time to read every detail of there latest offers which l thought this was from plusnet. Very sneaky but hey thats why they did it to catch people out.
Gathering by the response on here there are loads of people who are not happy with there tactics, wonder if trading standards or who ever would be interested.
looking at the email again it states a price freeze, (great seen that the rest will just be small print lets get on with my life) but no, there will be a vat rise, ok so everything will be getting a vat rise but no break down on plusnets own rises just what it will be so if you dont look carefully you could be tricked into thinking the price rise was just in line with vat.
Spider
Grafter

After 29 pages I have come to the conclusion that an email containing information about your service (payments, T&C, etc) should be at Font Size 18 and then anything to do with marketing should be Font Size 8. I came to this conclusion as a lot people seem to be seeing the same font size in the latest emails as two different sizes. The reasons for my suggestion is quite simple, people have stated they don't want to see the marketing, that they don't read the 'small print' and that important information should be clearer. By using the font sizes as specified will ensure that this criteria is met. The Marketing Dept might have a different view on this proposal ;).
With regard to the Marketing Dept sending the email, I have no problem with this as marketing goes way beyond advertising. As per my previous post I think they slipped up on the paragraph order for unlimited customers.
7up
Community Veteran

They don't even need to do that. They just need to skip the marketing and get to the point as Jelv has suggested above.
Spider
Grafter

Now that's were we disagree because it is all about marketing.... but not advertising. My big is gripe is the reference to 'small print' when in fact the emails I have seen the paragraphs are all on the same size font. Nothing was actually hidden but because on some emails the first paragraph was about suggesting how you could save some money then then the rest of the email was ignored.
I like Jelv's suggestion but even then it is still marketing. I just hope that bot Plusnet and its customers learn from this experience.
7up
Community Veteran

Well as far as I remember I've not said anything about small print. What did get me was the fact that the paragraph going into detail was underneath a advertising splurge which was titled important information. The SO saw it and disregarded it because its so badly designed.
One person suggested the two paragraphs should of been switched and that I could understand and even agree with.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See todays's Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/05/plusnet-phone-calls
Plusnet fails test with minus marks

Free calls removed from broadband and home phone package
Last July I signed up for Plusnet's broadband and home phone package, partly because it offered me free calls starting at 6pm and 300 free international minutes (I have friends in Brisbane). I was checking my recent calls on Plusnet's website on 8 January and found I had been charged for three calls made after 6pm. When I queried this I was informed I had been emailed on 3 January to say both these benefits were being withdrawn on 4 January. I did not receive this email.
I am appalled to think how big a bill I might have run up (think Brisbane floods!). I am also astounded this company has relied on one email to inform me of the changes and that it can simply change the detail of an existing contract without any renegotiation.
Is this legal? I have demanded a refund of the calls, but customer services refuse to budge and the tone is verging on rude. VF, Bedfordshire

We've been getting a few letters about Plusnet in recent weeks, and none have been particularly positive. The company has been advertising its services heavily in recent months – making much of its no-nonsense Yorkshire approach to providing services.
A quick search on Plusnet's website's forum, and our own attempts to contact it, suggest the company may be rather chaotically run, and there is a feeling that its once-excellent customer service has suffered as it has grown. What many people don't know is that Plusnet is owned by BT.
Your letter raised a couple of questions – not least whether a phone company can continue to tie you into a contract if it makes a significant change to its offer, as it has done in your case. Customers of other telecoms companies have also asked the same question in recent weeks, as price hikes have hit.
The regulator Ofcom says phone companies have to give customers 30 days' notice when they make a significant change to the customer's detriment – something you and other Plusnet customers say didn't happen. The company must also allow you to leave without financial penalty if you decide you don't agree to the higher prices.
However, some Plusnet customers who have tried to switch to a rival as a result of these price hikes have been told they must pay £40 for the free router, and the £25 set-up fee which the company waived for those signing up for 12 months.
Ofcom says consumers who don't get a fair deal in such instances should call it on 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040.
When we got in touch with Plusnet, the company said it had contacted all home phone customers to inform them of price changes taking effect when VAT increased to 20% on 4 January. It said customers were given 30 days' notice of the price change and 10 days in which to cancel without penalty. As a gesture of goodwill, Plusnet said it will give you 300 minutes of international calls for three months.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Bob
Apologies for the cross posting as I've posted this reply to the two threads here and here as well.
Just wanted to let people know that the non Direct Debit surcharge will now not be coming into effect for existing customers until 1st March (we originally cited 1st February). AIUI, we'll be sending revised emails out to the masses at some point this week.

Not before they send out a billing email which includes the £1.50 surcharge.
We have taken the (monthly fee + surcharge), for the billing period starting on 2011-02-04.

7up
Community Veteran

Yikes  Shocked
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I don't agree with certain parts of that quote A Fox Is Evil. But I'm not going to point out which bits because I cant be bothered this evening.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I agree several errors in that article, but its down to PN management to correct the Guardian not us