cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet now want to charge me £1.50 extra a month.

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Plusnet now want to charge me £1.50 extra a month.

Hi, How about charging Plusnet for the Billing problems we keep getting, or would that be too much ask? Since last January 2010 I have had billing problems ,none I may add my fault, first charging me incorrectly and then not charging at all, I am not saying just once but numerous times. I can understand having to pay if I don't make sure enough funds are available , but to pay £1-50 just because I use a debit card when there is enough funds is steep.
regards
jono
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Apologies for the cross posting as I've posted this reply to the two threads here and here as well.
Just wanted to let people know that the non Direct Debit surcharge will now not be coming into effect for existing customers until 1st March (we originally cited 1st February). AIUI, we'll be sending revised emails out to the masses at some point this week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Will the e-mail declare we have saved £1.50 by not paying by Direct Debit?
How much does Plusnet pay customers for screwed up deductions, or are they charged an admin charge.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Compared with some people those on DD will have avoided a lot more than an extra £1.50 being taken from their accounts. Perhaps the email should say
"If we make a mess of the billing system again you will be safe in the knowledge that we will be able to stop the money being taken from your account"
Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
churchofmoom

Sorry, but this seems to be a problem that Plusnet is having with it's own administration and bank. To say that it's to encompass failed payments is a bit of a nonsense really. The truth of the matter is that Plusnet, like many other companies needs to update it's software for handling the new Visa-Debit cards, instead of laying it on their customers. The problem has been around for a while, so you can't say that you've been taken unawares by it:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2010/02/new-debit-card-holders-hit-with-mystery-charges
Even the OFT thinks these charges by banks and various companies is unfair. There are even cases where customers have successfully claimed back their money. Now I don't mind using direct debit, but I do hate being coerced into doing so. Thing is, do newly registered customers get charged this fee when they first sign up? No? Then it should waved for all of us! Angry
mapletree
Grafter

Although I basically agree with you the article you referred to is about a mix up between credit and debit cards.  This is not what is happening at PN since they will charge £1.50pm extra for either.
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

hi, I agree with your comments churchofmoom wholeheartedly, there are too many companies coercing there customers into paying by DD.
regards
jono
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Here's hoping Plusnet may change their mind ...
from BBC News website -
Credit and debit card surcharges 'are excessive'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12423004
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I heard a discussion about this on the R4 Today program.
You are stretching things rather by comparing the £1.50 charged by Plusnet with the £40 charged by Ryan Air!
Also it its a totally different type of payment. Plusnet's monthly fee is on a continuous authority; they are already providing the service. If the payment fails they have to go in to debt recovery procedures.
With Ryan Air it is a one off transaction with the customer on line actually waiting to see if the payment clears - if the payment fails Ryan Air don't provide a ticket - simple - no debt recovery.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I am happy to pay for a CC problem that is my fault, say £20?  This could be made clear than a failed CC payment will attract this charge.  What I object to is a flat £18 yearly charge for the vast majority of CC customers that do not have a problem, just to pay for those who do.
I recently had a failure (my first in 9 years) as I had cancelled a CC.  I had a second CC set-up so assumed this would not be a problem.  Wrong of course! The second CC can ONLY be used if main card has expired.  So the failure was a result of Plusnet's systems not my fault.
Bruce47
Grafter

I've no problem with these fees, provided they are displayed upfront.
For example my local chip shop/Chinese advertises in the window "We take cards" but when you come to pay, they charge £2 extra for transactions over £10 and £2.50 for those under £10.  The cash machine in the Co-op over the road doesn't charge - so no-one pays by card once they've been caught once.
aich
Dabbler

I know this is now an "old" thread but still relevant none the less.
I have challenged this fee with Plusnet and the response was pathetic and demonstrates a real arrogance on the part of Plusnet in their attitude to their paying customers.
I was tempted to join Plusnet by the TV adverts late last year ("good honest broadband" – etc. etc.) and switched in November.
I am now extremely annoyed at being charged this fee for paying by card. I accept that the company is charged a fee for credit card transactions but that does not apply to a debit card.
The charge was presented as a "processing" fee when announced.
When I pointed this out to Plusnet they then stated - as has been mentioned by others above - that the real reason is in fact that it is a fee to cover the apparently higher default rate by people who pay by card. Not so "honest" about the reason for the fee in the first place then!
This is outrageous. I object very strongly indeed at being expected to pay a penalty for the failure of other people to pay their bill. If I fail to pay then it would be reasonable to be charged a fee that reflected the cost of that failure to the company. I don't see why I should pay for other people’s debts. The £1.50 charge amounts to a 23% increase on the £6.49 monthly charge, which is extortionate.
I suspect this attitude has a lot to do with who now owns Plusnet i.e. BT.
itsme
Grafter

Don't know whether this will fall into Which campaign to stop excessive CC charges as PN's charge is for not using Direct Debt.
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/03/excessive-card-fees-must-end-says-which-249017/
http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/personal-finance/card-surcharges/