cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - the "missing" Mbps

WWWombat
Grafter

Re: FTTC - the "missing" Mbps

Obviously the taller ones map quite well to the times that the Samknows box looks to perform its download tests. But the smaller ones don't seem to map to anything being done by that box.
And right now, while we're in the process of moving house, there isn't any of my "more serious" equipment behind the fibre connection, so that leaves the wife & her laptop, or my daughter... and I don't think there is anything they're doing that regularly.
I can tell, from the way usage accumulates, when they're streaming video in one form or another, and that doesn't match up to any particular flicker on the latency graphs either.
All-in-all, an unknown...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting. The only thing I can think of is my iPad doing some update as that's the only thing that stays on in the house when the issue is seen. However, the missus is home ill with a cold and steadily browsing so the 2-hourly blips are lost in the general latency mush. I wonder if anyone else has seen them?
ffox
Pro

It's not at regular intervals for me:
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Similar to mine:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ffox
Pro

@Ben Trimble:  The ones you have ringed occur at intervals varying between 2 and 3 hours.  It's recurring, but not regular.  I agree there is something going on, but the timing isn't as exact as you imply.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ffox
It's hard to tell as the graphs lack gridlines, but they seem pretty regular to me! Don't be put off by the dodgy paintshopping either... However, I didn't mean to imply that there was any exact timing when I said "every ~ 2 hours", sorry if that wasn't clear Smiley
kdhuk
Grafter

Best connection for ages tonight - back up beyond 37Mb/s

- previously stuck at no more than 35Mb/s for weeks

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@kdhuk If you go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed does your "Current line speed" show as 20Mb or 37Mb?
kdhuk
Grafter

37Mb .......it's never  said 20Mb
kdhuk
Grafter

Also one thing I did notice is that speedtest.net had my geographical location (SE England) correct with  the "better" connection; whereas usually with the "bad" connections it thinks I'm near PN HQ in Yorkshire ......relevant?......... see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102644.0.html
JEB
Grafter

If the portal says 37Mb then it is likely you have been lucky and have got a "fast" connection.  If you reconnect you will probably be back down to 35Mb.
Accounts which Adam has manually fixed show 20Mb as the current line speed.  Presumably the fix has not been rolled out across the whole user base which makes me wonder just how many people have a slow connection and don't realise.

James
WWWombat
Grafter

@Ben,
Here's an updated picture. There was no-one there at all yesterday - so the only load comes from the SamKnows box.

That suggests that the additional latency is coming from somewhere else on the path between TBB and the cabinet, through PlusNet. Do your spikes line up for yesterday (16th), or do they differ?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
chrisjbzero
Grafter

@Ben/@Adam,  I wonder if the same has been happening to my account.  I used to get 37M download but now the best I get is 34.8M?Huh
Regards
Chris
<<Added at 10:15pm -  Jojo has fixed this and now getting 37M+>>
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@WWWombat
None at all on mine today, although you can only check between midnight - 8 when it was unused. What gateway are you on? pcl-ag01 for me.