Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - the "missing" Mbps

JEB
Grafter

Re: FTTC - the "missing" Mbps

It seems to be all fixed for me as well.  Thanks Adam  Smiley
I didn't need to reconnect my PPP session as this had already disconnected and reconnected about 10 mins after your post which I assume is due to whatever change you made.
So is this fix permanent or will I be back down to 35Mbps if I reboot the router?

James
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Seems unlikely James, it didn't cause me to lose it.
BlastWave
Grafter

Don't think I've ever been more than 35mbps - can you have a look at time too?
Thanks!!
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@WWWombat - I've done the same for yourself, you'll just need to reboot. just let me know how things go from there.

A strange coincidence on timing there. My wife noticed things going funny at 12:45 - about 5 minutes after you posted this - and rebooted the router (but not modem).
It appears that she kept a fast session after this reboot.
I then went through a disconnect/connect on the router this evening, and it has kept a fast session. Twice in a row is definitely unheard of - so this has probably "fixed" things.
Not sure about the effect on the traffic management during the evening session though. It seemed to run the Samknows tests at 1800 and 1900 at 38Mbps (ie after the first reboot, but before the second). At 2000 and 2100 the tests were 21-24Mbps (after both reboot & reconnect), but test at 2200 was back up to 38Mbps. A bit inconclusive there, and I'll watch tomorrow.
I'll sort out some other speedtest results tomorrow though...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Adam, if you pick this up, can mine be done too please - I think you missed my previous request.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
KevinG
Rising Star

Well I seem to be on one of my "17Mb" sessions again - bit of a mystery that and happened a couple of days ago. It will probably sort itself out, but it's consistently about 17Mbps on both speedtest.net and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I think you missed my previous request.

@walker23 sure, I can't see a previous request from you though (not that it matters) Smiley
@KevinG can you try rebooting please?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kdhuk
Grafter

Sorry to be a nag  Kiss  - but I hope you saw my request  Cheesy
KevinG
Rising Star

@KevinG can you try rebooting please?

Before reboot:

After reboot:

Why?? What's with these 17Mbps sessions?
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
@WWWombat - I've done the same for yourself, you'll just need to reboot. just let me know how things go from there.

I'll sort out some other speedtest results tomorrow though...

BT's Speedtester reports profile at 38717/10000, and speeds at 33200/8300. Kinda average there, but BT's tester is always a bit variable...
Daytime tests at Speedtest.net reports:

So looking good at the moment - and slightly faster than Iast week.
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Well, we've kept the fast speed going OK. All good from that perspective.
But we seem to have kept faster speed for far more than we used to... As far as I can see, we're getting restricted by the TM platform far less than before - far less time that is.
Before the outage of the TM platform, we'd get full speed most of the day; we'd then be slowed down to 21-24mbps at 18:00, and get full speed back at 23:00. All confirmed on a daily basis by the Samknows box.
Now we seem to get the restriction at 20:00, with full speed sometimes back at the earlier time of 22:00.
Could this be related to the profile change to 20Mb?
Plusnet Customer
JEB
Grafter

I seem to remember more capacity was added during the TM system problems to try and mitigate the effects.  So getting better speeds for longer would be consist with more capacity being available.  Given that performance is better than before I doubt it's anything to be concerned about!
@Adam - Is the fix you applied permanent or is it a stop gap measure while you roll out a full fix across everyone?

James
KevinG
Rising Star

More capacity being added shouldn't result in achieving faster speeds than Plusnet's published speeds, which is what is happening here. I haven't demonstrated this myself yet but I probably haven't done any tests during the three hours in question. It is a rather odd thing to complain about though!
WWWombat
Grafter

Oh it's not a complaint - just an observation.
But the slowdowns were to the traffic management profile, rather than a limitation of PN's capacity, so I wouldn't expect the extra capacity to have any effect.
But, now you mention the capacity increase... I thought I'd check the effect on latency.
Here's my latency graph from Monday, before Adam changed the profile to 20Mbps. The extra loads on the gateway are noticeable over 8-10PM, and Monday is always the worst:

Here the graph for Tuesday, after the change:

Since then, it's been as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Plusnet Customer
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@WWWombat
I see that you have the same latency spikes every ~ 2 hours as I do... There's none showing on my latency graphs today so won't post but do you have any ideas what they are? I don't!
Highlighted in your graph for clarity...