Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 10

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: windows 10

All other devices will need to be upgraded manually, using disk image (ISO) files.

Not quite the same as:
Quote from: nanotm
MS have said they will provide .iso downloads options for people to use to make the install just as they did with the tech preview
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

different words same end result,
i.e. there will be an iso option available
which makes it exactly the same as the windows 8 online upgrade options you run the upgrade assistant you choose to download the full iso file to install later or you click the install now option.
I've still got a usb stick with a full windows 8 iso on it from doing that.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
w23
Pro

I sincerely hope you're right but I can't help remembering the number of times Microsoft have removed or tried to remove Windows 7 iso downloads from public download.
They could make the W10 iso downloads available only as secure download requiring payment (direct or via partners), hence my comment about speculation (certainly in regard of free and freely available download).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

well one of the blogs I read stated the downloads would be key locked to the key you input at the start and only work to be installed on the system with that cd key /
I don't quite know if they can do much less how they would do this but I suspect it will be the same as it was with windows 8 pro via the upgrade assistant and no separate cd key being issued to you (I screen capped mine and saved the file on the usb stick along with the iso download)
I understand your concerns but I rather suspect the new OS will have some kind of paywall by default, certainly it looks like the newly worded announcements from the MS legal department are hinting that the free upgrade will only give access to the basic windows 10 and not pro versions .....
w23
Pro

Knowing MS, they're almost certainly looking for as many ways as possible to charge for their free upgrade.
Call me 'w23'
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i may be wrong here , but the way i understand is that the Basic OS is free , but if you need any other MS products you would pay just like the APPS on your smartphone
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Pure supposition - or is that wishful thinking - I wonder if Microsoft will drop the price a chunk for pre or early orders like they did with Win 7
HPsauce
Pro

I think they are so desperate that they have already effectively dropped it to zero for almost everyone.  Cheesy
(No idea what OEM's would pay to pre-install it)
After all, who would be in a position to buy Windows 10 for an existing PC? If you have 7 or 8 you will get it free if you upgrade within a year of W10 release (whatever that actually means).
It would really need to be something fairly old and designed for XP or Vista, or bought without an OS licence.
chrcoluk
Grafter

yeah a win7 iso is harder to get, but win 8.1 is easy.
if they keep the licensing the same then there will be 2 public iso's
one enterprise 90 day evaluation iso
one retail iso - requires key to install unless modify the iso to remove the setup file
there will also probably be an upgrade iso/exe.
nanotm
Pro

@hp
its been mentioned in a few blogs that the OEM versions are going to be a lot cheaper, in region of pence per licence for low end portable devices to a few pounds for a full spec pc/laptop but its all speculation, although if they are planning to virtually give away the basic version and then start prices from £25 for retail copies (according to one site but I cant remember which one)  for anyone wanting to build their own system, its a decent bet they will be making a few pence on every store purchase which in all likelihood will net them billion every year as consumers purchase all sorts of stuff.....
a better business model from an MS income stream point of view than high up front costs and then free support for 10 years /
HPsauce
Pro

Interesting. I just installed the latest 10041 "fast" version on my test system.
The Start menu is now semi-transparent, even when enlarged to full screen.
Maybe they're having a bit of a rethink on the dumbed-down visual aspects?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

have just read this on MS webpage about win10 free upgrade  Wink
This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device –at no additional charge.
so does that infer there will be additional charges somewhere  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is a worry which I raised a while back
In OEM terms that is the period when the hardware in under warranty however I can't see that being correct so I just don't know but it could mean that major hardware changes will invalidate it such a motherboard/CPU change
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

when i have changed my CPU or motherboard previously with my win7 OEM disc all i had to do was to ring MS to activate again 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you say it was because of component failure
From the OEM Guide
OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions

License Transfers*
OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine.  Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.

Microsoft Office and Terminal Services
OEM versions of Microsoft Office cannot be deployed in a Terminal Services or remote desktop services environment.  When deploying Microsoft Office in a Terminal Services environment, the Office licenses should be purchased through a Microsoft Volume Licensing agreement.

Re-imaging*
Re-imaging rights are a benefit granted to Microsoft Volume Licensing customers. Volume Licensing customers may re-image any software they have legal licenses for (including Microsoft OEM Software) using Volume Licensing media.

Hardware Replacement*
The motherboard is the component that determines whether or not a new Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating System license is required. Motherboard upgrades or replacements require a new operating system license with an identical series motherboard (unless a replacement is for a defect)