Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 7 update - how long!!!!

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

win 7 update - how long!!!!

Thought I would get win7 updated, backup and try win10 again - I was not impressed with my previous win10 try out Roll_eyes
However, I'm growing old waiting to get past the "checking for updates" point - currently 65 minutes and counting Crazy
I know I'm pushing it, as it runs in a virtual machine and is only permitted 60% of three cores with 3GB memory and it was last updated at the beginning of September, but really; in that time I could have installed Linux 4 times using a "net" install (ie load a bootstrap module, download the installer, configure, download all the packages and reboot each time).
This is a second attempt after running the "windows update" fault find/fix program which claimed to find a few problems.
I don't recall it being this long last time, though I may have made it seem shorter by running things in the host system. Is this the norm now?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
10 REPLIES 10
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: win 7 update - how long!!!!

Now that's interesting.
Recently posted in this forum about a 'svchost oddness' issue.
Turns out its wuauserv banging away trying to sort out updates that are not responding.
In that respect I can report I have same issues as you.
I've had the same fixing issues, btw. Couple of updates did install, but not all of them. Something is seriously wrong with info in various update windows (latest downloads, etc.). They are reporting different things.
At the mo its looking like Win Updates is not actually connecting. At all. Been watching CPU, disk, and network activity for few days.
Was, thinking it was only my computer. So your post is very interesting!
It now appears mine started after I accidentally clicked on the Win10 update icon.
It told me my machine was not compatible with Win10 and I should buy a new computer.
The installation was aborted. (Much relieved.)
But after that win7 updates ceased -- or so I thought. Actually its running continuously and overheating my laptop!
Please keep updating how you get on!!!
  edit -      my last successful update was September as well, btw.
  edit#2 - have now stopped the wuauserv service in task manager so I can use the PC without it overheating.
Pendragon
Rising Star

I don’t know if this will help either of you but it seems to have helped others with the above problems (it also contains a link to service pack 1 if you don’t have it).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
IanSn
Rising Star

@Pendragon - In my case the suggestions on this page resulted in a very long wait. Nothing seemed to be happening. Seemed much the same as trying to download normal updates.
(Still having to temp suspend wauaserv to make computer usable.)
EDIT -
been trawling MS communities. Hmm, lost of folks with same issue, and no answers.
I'm going to switch off updates.
Q - How do you stop 'Checking for Updates' once you've started it?Huh
PeeGee
Pro

I decided to update my laptop for comparison, same last update date, and it took 40 minutes to check for updates. I did find comments suggesting 2 or 3 hours was not unusual, so tried the update again for the VM - 2 hours 40 minutes Crazy
I checked the updates to avoid installing W10 upgrade entries and started the installation, which sat at 0% downloaded for a long time. So after a lot of unnecessary checking, I realised it was another MS "goody" - it goes straight from 0% downloaded to installing 1 of ... Shocked - doesn't bode well for the quality of the updates etc.
After all that hassle, I think a duplicate VM is needed to test W10 as it's easier than updating/reverting or backup/update/restore Roll_eyes
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

1. Windows update is a law unto itself..... most times it shows the bar moving across the screen, but shows no "progress" or results, until they are all there and downloaded..
2.  set windows to AUTO UPDATE , but let me decide when to install.... that way you just click on the update window and it tells you how many updates and what type are available..
3.. check for updates on a "manual" type basis... do this before you go to bed... and leave the machine running... there is no need to sit and wait for the updates..
4.  If you keep the machine updated on a regular basis, then updates don`t take forever... it is only when you leave it for months that you get the waiting problem.
PeeGee
Pro

1. yes, but a sign of incompetent/missing quality control
2. auto update is the last thing I want (priority below remove MS Windows)
3. I have done it, but it should not be necessary and the need to search the registry etc implies a lack of design/programming competence. I mostly run checks whilst using the host system.
4. I do, well fairly regular, every 3 or 4 months Wink or are you suggesting "frequently"
Phil
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

1.  it is what it is..... if you don`t like it... then you have MAC or Linux to choose from... 

3.  I have never searched the registry,... and cannot see the point of your comment regarding that...  if Microsoft has poor design/programming competence, then it is amazing how long it has lasted, when other O.S.`s are available.... 
4.  3 or 4 monthly is not "regular"...    you should do it manually every month... this way.. you will only need to take a small number of updates... if you leave it 3 or 4 monthly... no wonder it takes so long  .you have 3 or 4 times the amount of updates .
I really do not undestand what all the fuss about auto updating is on this forum... there are options that you can take, to control which or what or when, updates are installed.... so why not use them....
.  it seems as if you want a perfect O.S. that nobody can mess with, but are not prepared to accept the medicine the doctor gives you, to stop you being infected. ....  wlhere would we be without penicillin  ? ? 
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I was in a similar position earlier in the week. I had just got a shiny new 120Gb ssd. Now since my previous M$ install was on a 2TB disk it obviously wouldn't fit. And unlike Linux you can't choose what to move to a separate disk/partition. So I thought do I spend all day installing W7 and waiting for updates for the rest of the week or do I bite the bullet and install W10.
Well so far a BASIC CLEAN* install of W10 took 60GB! HALF MY DISK  Crazy  Shocked I could run 3 complete copies of Mint in that.
After installing steam and Fallout 4 that is about it for this disk. So one game at a time.
*Clean in as far as I removed all the spam and spyware it wanted to install, including the "bonus" programs. No I do want or need an xbox connection.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: Hairy
Well so far a BASIC CLEAN* install of W10 took 60GB! HALF MY DISK  Crazy  Shocked

Interesting, I cloned a VM containing Win7 and "upgraded(?)" to win10 (least hassle reversion mode!) and it only uses 29GB (edit: reduced to 16GB by using disk clean-up and removing the reversion files etc), including the necessary reversion data. I do, however, have "my documents" in a separate partition of the virtual disk. The addition of the "classic shell" s/w gives a decent start menu as well - Win7 style or earlier (like linux classic).
Quote from: shutter
1.  it is what it is..... if you don`t like it... then you have MAC or Linux to choose from...  
3.  I have never searched the registry,... and cannot see the point of your comment regarding that...  if Microsoft has poor design/programming competence, then it is amazing how long it has lasted, when other O.S.`s are available....  
4.  3 or 4 monthly is not "regular"...    you should do it manually every month... this way.. you will only need to take a small number of updates... if you leave it 3 or 4 monthly... no wonder it takes so long  .you have 3 or 4 times the amount of updates .

1. ... but would that be good enough on a type 42 (I don't know about the RN, but NT4 was proposed for MBTs Crazy )?
3. perhaps not knowingly - where does update get its installation data from? I would suggest that the majority of users don't know there is an alternative OS for PCs as MS pay the OEMs to supply MS Windows pre-installed.
4. I do update "regularly", but not frequently - updating monthly would usually mean running the system just to do an update.  Also, a day after the last update session, it took the best part of an hour scanning the disk before declaring everything was updated Shocked
Phil
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm certain that something has happened to Windows Update in the last six months or so. I suspect it to be not totally unconnected with the launch of Windows 10, which must have diverted Microsoft resources to handle the demand as it was being pushed out worldwide.
My brother's Windows Vista SP2 laptop started being unable to find updates in the summer, despite Windows Update being left to run for long periods of up to an hour; and my own Windows 7 SP1 desktop took an unusually long time to update earlier this month, following two unsucessful attempts which generated an undocumented error message. I should say that both machines are set for Windows Update to run manually; I like to see what's being offered before installing it!
I did resort to using WSUS Offline Update (http://www.wsusoffline.net/) on my brother's PC in an attempt to keep its security current; however, last night it did find updates using the normal Windows Update procedure after three hours!
EDIT: Sorry, should have said that I tried all manner of recommended 'fixes', including running MS Troubleshooters, to rectify the Update problem but with no success.