Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win 7 pro - admin password

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

win 7 pro - admin password

Anyone know a quick way to reset/recover an Admin account password on a lenovo laptop?
If necessary I'll reload the OS but wonder if by booting from a CD and repairing the existing OS I might get a chance to re-enter the admin password.
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: win 7 pro - admin password

I've used UBCD in the past http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/89352-ubcd-5-3-how-to-reset-windows-password-you-have-fo... but this http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ looks like it might be simpler.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I have used Offline NT Password a few times, with great success
If you need it, there is walk through guide here :
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/ontpre-screenshot-guide.htm
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

journeys
Aspiring Pro

@Mike @MisterW, thanks, resolved,
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Offline NT password usually works.  But I'm not sure if it can cope with the complexities of a Windows 8/10 machine that uses your Microsoft account credentials to login.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Seems to me that's more of an advert than a tutorial.  The best way to recover a password is to write it down, together with the accompanying user ID and a note of what it is for.  Use a notebook for passwords and keep that book in a safe place.  Then recover the password by consulting the book!  That's far less faff than creating a reset disc or USB and it works for all your passwords, not just the one that gets you into Windows.    

mssystems
Aspiring Pro

Offline password reset works on Windows 10 as long as you are using a local account.  You can use a local account on Windows 10 by very carefully reading the small print during setup and skipping the step when you are asked for your Microsoft account.  Or after installation, by changing the account type from Control Panel.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Whereas if you are using a Microsoft Account on Windows 8/10 thenyou should be able to reset your Microsoft password on another device with internet access.