Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pfsense with Plusnet

FIXED
BeeperBooper

pfsense with Plusnet

Hello,

I am trying to configure pfsense to replace the 2704N, but it is not picking up the WAN. I am on FTTC and the setup I was hoping to use was:

Supplied BT Openreach modem > pfsense > network

Can I not use the BT modem in this way? Is the 2704N required?

Many thanks,

Alex.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: pfsense with Plusnet

Fix

That setup ought to work. You need to configure pfsense for a PPPoE connection using your Plusnet credentials. I.e yourusername@plusdsl.net and the password you use for the member centre

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BeeperBooper

Hey,

I'm not sure what was the issue, possibly incorrect details entered, but after rebuilding it is now working. Thanks for your time Smiley

Alex.

marktomlin

I’ve been having recent issues with this. I have my PN router connected via Eth to PFSense box, but does not pick up static IP. Do I need the BB cable direct into PFSense box, and thus no PN router? I think that’s wrong, but am loosing patience so considering it all!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have my PN router connected via Eth to PFSense box, but does not pick up static IP. Do I need the BB cable direct into PFSense box, and thus no PN router?

You actually need the PFSense box connected to a modem. Some routers can be configured in modem only(bridge) mode but I'm afraid the PN ones can't. If you're on Fibre then you could either pick up a used BT Openreach modem (HG612) on ebay or for something new , look at the Netgear DM200 or the TPLink W9970, both can be set to bridge mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

As @MisterW states ,you would need a VDSL modem connected to your line and then an ethernet cable from there to your PfSense WAN port, then login within PfSense using a PPPoE connection and your plusnet connection details.

If you don't have one of the Openreach branded ones, some routers come with these built in that can then be put into a modem only mode allowing full passthrough, however our Hub One does not feature a modem only mode.

marktomlin

thanks for the fast response - so are you saying id use a new modem (ie second hand BT one) instead or as well as the PN one.  I am guessing instead of - and in which case, will the PN BB connection be picked up automatically, or is there further config required (aside from turning to bridge modem mode)...is there something you can point me too? many thanks!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@marktomlin you use the modem instead of the PN router. The BT modem needs no configuration. If you use one of the modem/routers I suggested then you will need to configure it in bridge mode. As @Darkfire says you will need to configure the PfSense box for PPPoE with you Plusnet username and passsord.