cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YTD Video Downloader Free running in background

penneck
Aspiring Pro

YTD Video Downloader Free running in background

I use YTD Video Downloader Free. The latest update now has it that once you have started it, when you have finished and close it's window, it stays running in the background.

1. Why is this so important to YTD that they have included it into the latest update?

2.Should I be concerned about it running in the background? Is it reporting back on what I am doing? Or is there any other dubious thing?

I can use Task Manager to stop it running in the background. I can uninstall it - but that leaves me with nothing to download videos with. Is there a way of getting back to an older version so it doesn't do this. The previous update seems to have had a marked slowdown in the download rate, so going back a few updates would be useful (or going to some other downloader).

Any comments/suggestions, please?

21 REPLIES 21
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: YTD Video Downloader Free running in background

@penneck  I use "1 click You Tube  video downloader"    as an "addon" with Firefox... 

It gives you a red     (Download) icon under the video area,.... and then you choose what type of file you want it saved in...You need to set up a special folder for downloads, or they get added to your Download files list... ( which means they will not be all together, if you do a lot ).. I use a folder on my Desktop... and have to re-direct each "save" to that folder... but ... it`s worth the effort... all your downladed vids in one place..

The actual download time is very quick too...

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello shutter.

Let's see if I have understood correctly. I've installed Firefox now. I've found 'Add Ons' in Firefox. I have not been able to find "You Tube Video Downloader". Where am I going wrong?

On the subject of YTD Video Downloader, I understand that the YTD stands for You Tube Downloader - is that correct? If yes, are we not just adding what I was having trouble with, before I started this topic, into Firefox?

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck  PM on the way.... Wink

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Open Firefox, 3 bars on top right (Open menu), select add ons from drop down menu. Put into Search "You Tube Downloader" A list comes up. Select and install.

As to why things run in background. Supposedly speed things up although with fast computers, phones, the slight delay is hardly noticeable. Me? I nuke anything that I don't like running in the background. For instance, a good ¾ of my start up items are disabled from starting. Has it made any difference to the way my computer works? No. Problem I find is free is fast becoming another word for ads. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JRinPDX

I have the same problem and haven't found a way to prevent it from running in background, short of killing the process each time I'm done using it.   I see no reason for it to remain resident and regard it as a privacy/security risk.  

I've also found it a pain to download whole play-lists because, with the free version, you have to add the URL's one at a time.

That said, I recently found and downloaded 4K Video Downloader.  They have a free trial, but If I recall, I did pay the nominal fee. (which I did not pay for YTD).  It is FAR better than YTD and allows you to download from other platforms than YouTube.  The suite also has tools to convert soundtracks from YouTube (and other) videos to MP3s, pull pictures from Instagram, etc. etc.     It has saved me HOURS, it's fast and unobtrusive.  

I hope this is more helpful than the other comments I'm seeing here.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Unhelpful post removed.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JRinPDX

And you considered the other posts *helpful*?   [-Censored-]?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've just tried your "4k Video Downloader" thing and early tests mean I agree with you - it is better than YTD. However, I haven't found anything about paying for it, nor anything about a free trial. Are these payments you made for extras, or are they a one-off payment, or "pay periodically for ever and a day"?

I wonder what Strat was complaining about? Your first post was very helpful

shutter
Community Veteran

@JRinPDX  &  @penneck I think the post that was removed as "unhelpful" was a "single line remark" by Vilereynard.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It was indeed.

But there is little point in complaining to a censor that they have censored you.

What they can do once, they can do twice.

Expect to see another "message removed" soon. Angry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

How long was your "removed" post on here before it got Strated? The previous post from anyone (apart from your removed msg) was about 2 weeks ago.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Probably a couple of weeks; prior to today it was my only comment on this topic.

So I'm racking up quite a bit of work for the censor(s).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck The post was removed 2 weeks ago,...... but it seems to have re-appeared in it`s original place ! ! ! ..

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I can't see it from here. Did it sneak back, and have you given the game away, so they've removed it again?