cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows7 constant updates

deekay
Grafter

Windows7 constant updates

I am running Windows7. Every third day, when I start the computer, I get a Microsoft Update pop-up saying that there is "One important update" to install. So I install it. Then, three days later, the same thing happens. The updates are of different numbers, different sizes, and some require a reboot.
As a test, sometimes I haven't installed it, but ignored it for a week or more. After that time, it still says that there is one important update to install!
My wife does not get this constant updating on her laptop, it's just on my desktop.
Does anyone else get this? It's been going on for about two-three months now and I'm beginning to wonder if it is a genuine Microsoft update.
Any advice will be very gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Keith
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows7 constant updates

You should be able to look up the number of a Microsoft Update to find out what it is for; that would give you clues as to what is going on.  Microsoft Security Essentials, if you use it, requires frequent updates but these are usually 'silent'.     
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

you could always try Turn Auto update OFF and just manual update  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
picbits
Rising Star

As above - it may well just be a Windows Defender / MSE virus definition update.
Mine update every couple of days on my Win8 machine.
deekay
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
I have had this computer for four and a half years. Until recently, I rarely got any updates apart from the monthly batch.
It was starting to get them every couple of days which made me wonder if they were genuine.
Most of them are:
Definition Update for Windows Defender, or  Security Update for Windows.
So all seems to be OK .
I've always set Windows Updates to notify me before updating, rather than doing it 'Behind my back'
Thanks again,
Keith
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you launch Windows Update and view update history you can see the sequence of updates and check they all succeeded.  In my case, although Windows Defender is suppressed from scanning by my regular security software, it updates itself every three or four days.