Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 upgrade - connectivity problems

VB22
Dabbler

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - connectivity problems

Hi Bob
I don't know what you did but - thank you very much indeed - it appears to have sorted things. Edge is now working properly on the W10 machine and my colleagues (on W7) machines think the internet is working faster. Whether that is real or imagined doesn't matter - everyone is happy!
Quick query - if I needed to switch the router off and on again sometime would that lose the changes you have made?
Thanks again
Sheila
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: VB22
Quick query - if I needed to switch the router off and on again sometime would that lose the changes you have made?

Nope, they should survive a reboot. They will be lost if you factory reset though. Thanks for the feedback by the way, it could well help us put something in place to help others suffering similar problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Bob,
Thank you for your contribution to this long standing issue.  I hope that you can make the characteristics of this issue known to the the front line support staff and the details of this remedy.  Also hope it helps Adam's mum!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aj201004-1

Hi.  I have had very similar problems since downloading Windows 10 (from Windows 7).  It's been driving me mad!.  I can, like you get to the main page but find it difficult to get into the links with the same sort of messages "hmmm can't find this page", Timed out, etc.  I thought is may be an problem with IPv6 being disconnected but it seems that isn't necessary so with regard to the missing protocol issue I think I may have fixed that.  I searched the web with that message and came up with a YouTube video from HandyAndy Tech tips which guided me to re-setting a permission.  This looks like it is helping but I still think that there are certain web sites that are difficult to get to.  We shall see!!  Hope this helps

alvisesouth

I'm having exactly same problems using windows 10...

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much

Greenie67

Hi Bob, 

I'm having exactly the same problem as Sheila described. Spoke to plusnet tonight but they just said they would send out a new router and didn't try any fix? Are you able to push out the same update to me while I'm waiting on the new router as you sent to Sheila? I also have the Technicolour TG582n router. 

Thanks

Greenie67

Hi Bob,

I'm experiencing the same problem as Sheila described. I spoke to plusnet support tonight but they didn't try and implement any fixes, but have sent me a new router. While I'm waiting on this to arrive (and hopefully fix the issue) are you able to push to me the same upgrade you sent to Sheila please. I've tried so many other things that haven't worked I'm hoping this could fix it as I have virtually no internet any longer. 

Thanks

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There is a particular problem with the Technicolor 582n router that manifests on Windows 8 and 10 but not earlier versions of Windows or other devices.  Plusnet often supplies this router so if you have one you should try the fix given by @VB22 or you can work around it by setting another DNS server.

Greenie67

Thanks for the steer ReedRichards. Technicolour 582n router now working a treat. PlusNet have sent me another newer router as well, so I now have a spare.

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Morning all,

I am very annoyed. I have spent ages over the passed weeks with my PC and laptop (both updated to Win10) trying to solve this problem.

Once I read this thread I used my rarely used old Windows 7 PC (used by son) and it worked. I was going to ring up yesterday but my OH is afraid I will have to go through all I have already done such as disconnecting the Tech 582n router and she is using her laptop until tomorrow afternoon - so I will have to ring then or probably Thursday!

This surely should be given more publicity.

My OH's laptop came with Windows 10 installed so it is working OK.

Wuz

Dagmar

I'm having the same problem with the TG582n router. I can look at a max of 2 websites before I am cut off from the internet. I have to shut down any open window in the web browser, do ipconfig /flushdns before I can get online again. Annoying to say the least.

Please can I be sent the same config changes which were sent to Sheila as below?

And will you let me know when you do this?

It would make a huge difference to me.

Thanks.

Dagmar

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Dagmar, I don't think @bobpullen visits here very often.  Perhaps mentioning his 'name' will attract his attention?  Meanwhile, there are some things that you can do yourself, as I mentioned previously.

Dagmar

Thanks for responding, Reed, I'm not sure what you mentioned previously?

I've looked at your posts without finding it.

sharetrophy

The “one or more network protocols are missing” error usually affects PCs with loose internet cables or otherwise faulty internet connection. The easiest method that can help solve the problem is to double check all wires and see they are properly plugged in. If that doesn’t solve the issue, try disabling NetBIOS. You can also find the detailed solution here :  http://errorcodespro.com/fix-one-more-network-protocols-missing-windows-computer/