cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will switching off the PlusNet Hub at night time affect connection speed?

wwex786
Grafter

Will switching off the PlusNet Hub at night time affect connection speed?

Hey, I was just wondering if I have to leave my Hub on 24/7 or am I allowed to switch it off at night time before going to bed? I have had some people tell me that it is not good to turn it off at night time. Apparently the exchange lowers your connection speed? Can someone explain to me how this is possible and if this is true or not? I would really appreciate it Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Will switching off the PlusNet Hub at night time affect connection speed?

It can be true, leave it on unless you have a good reason not to.
Basically a power-off "can" look like a problem on the line to the exchange equipment. It raises error margins, resulting in slower speeds, to compensate. If that has no effect it may just keep doing it, getting slower and slower. Unlikely in reality.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: wwex786
Hey, I was just wondering if I have to leave my Hub on 24/7 or am I allowed to switch it off at night time before going to bed? I have had some people tell me that it is not good to turn it off at night time. Apparently the exchange lowers your connection speed? Can someone explain to me how this is possible and if this is true or not? I would really appreciate it Smiley

short answer is yes you need to leave it running, the amount of electric it uses is tiny (less than a mobile phone) broadband connections were originally called "always on connections" because unlike modem based k-flex (dialup) they work better when connected the whole time...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Is there any particular reason that you want to switch the router off at night?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
wwex786
Grafter

Well.. Im not gonna lie, but everytime I leave my router on for a long period of time (all day) the performance lowers to the point where it is unusable. Like YouTube wouldnt stream properly even on 240p. I think that is a major problem with the PlusNet hub. Every time i switch it off and put it on, it becomes really fast. 720p streams insanely fast, but like i said, after a long period of time it just.... it just becomes like the speed I was getting from my previous ISP - TalkTalk
nanotm
Pro

how many devices are connected to it ?
wwex786
Grafter

?2. Even when its just one person connected to it (Wired connection) it has this issue. Oh and I was wondering. I have alot of routers at home which support Fibre Optics. I tried connecting them but they dont pick up my Fibre Connection, why is this? Do I need a OpenReach modem? I wasn't given one from PlusNet so what can I do? Sad
nanotm
Pro

if you have a vdsl2 modem/router then it doesn't need a separate modem, if its something with an EWAN port then it would need a modem.
as to the speed I the hub speed issue, that might be down to a fault, have you tried contacting support about the problem?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Force
Is there any particular reason that you want to switch the router off at night?

Quote from: wwex786
Well.. Im not gonna lie, but everytime I leave my router on for a long period of time (all day) the performance lowers to the point where it is unusable.

Ah, understood.
In that case your nightly switch-off is a reasonable stop-gap solution, and is unlikely to exacerbate the problem.
It does seem that there is an underlying fault somewhere.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
wwex786
Grafter

So I should turn my router off at night time? And the router plusnet gave me is a VDSL2 router. But I have lots of other routers which I want to try out but for some reason I can't use them. They require WAN connection and Plusnet havent given me any other equipment for that. What if my PlusNet hub dies? I cannot use any other routers cause of this Sad
nanotm
Pro

@wwex786
between now and getting the problem fixed yes you should switch the router off, once the problem is fixed then no you should not be doing it routinely.
plusnet didn't supply the fibre modems in the past BTOR did when they changed the face plate in the house,
if yu want a backup device then your options are to buy a modem as a seperaate product that you can then use with your existing routers (providing they can establish a pppoe connection and are capable of achieving a data connection of at least 50MB/s) or buy a VDSL2+ capable router from a shop (preferably a branded item that also has a UK based forum and tech support setup) your optins in that regard are broader range of options to the modem only side of things so long as it's certified for the BT network it should be fine